Tesla Model X Road Trip

The place to discuss everything else..
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Insomnia gives you the ability to watch anything that might help in getting to sleep.

Last night was just such a night.

I found a series where Will Wei and another guy took a Tesla Model X from San Francisco to New York, charging only at the Tesla Supercharger Stations, their Model X had the 100kW battery pack.

The good news is that they are only five minutes each.

The bad news is that real world driving resulted in them only managing to get 160 miles between having to get a charge, and their routes were dictated by having to go from Supercharger to Supercharger.

So where we fill up and can go say 400 miles before having to stop they would have had to stop three times for at least 40 minutes a time.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

wizzzard

Post by wizzzard »

Might be a silly question but....

Can non-Tesla cars use the Tesla charging stations? Just wondering what a Taycan owner would do on a similar journey...
Jet Black GTS | 21" Sport Classics Gloss Black | PanRoof | Air Suspension + PASM | Pebble Grey Interior | Sport Design Mirrors | PDLS+ | Light Comfort | Bose | PS+
johnd

Post by johnd »

wizzzard wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:04 pm Might be a silly question but....

Can non-Tesla cars use the Tesla charging stations? Just wondering what a Taycan owner would do on a similar journey...
Answer's no, certainly at present. Superchargers are strictly Tesla-only to the best of my knowledge. So most other recent EVs (other than those use CHAdeMO, but CCS is becoming the new standard) will need to find a CCS rapid charger.

Right now Tesla Superchargers have held sway because Tesla have dominated and have been prepared to spend their own money building/maintaining superchargers. In the future, CCS will become much more common and will be supported by whole networks of CCS rapid chargers like Ionity. Conceivably that might encourage Tesla to allow other makes access to superchargers on a quid pro quo basis (and subject to technical compatibility) but who knows? It's interesting that Tesla Model 3 seems to be going the CCS route in Europe so that might also encourage interoperability.

But, for the time being at least, a Taycan would need to find a CCS rapid charger.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
wizzzard

Post by wizzzard »

johnd wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:49 pm
wizzzard wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:04 pm Might be a silly question but....

Answer's no, certainly at present. Superchargers are strictly Tesla-only to the best of my knowledge. So most other recent EVs (other than those use CHAdeMO, but CCS is becoming the new standard) will need to find a CCS rapid charger.

Right now Tesla Superchargers have held sway because Tesla have dominated and have been prepared to spend their own money building/maintaining superchargers. In the future, CCS will become much more common and will be supported by whole networks of CCS rapid chargers like Ionity. Conceivably that might encourage Tesla to allow other makes access to superchargers on a quid pro quo basis (and subject to technical compatibility) but who knows? It's interesting that Tesla Model 3 seems to be going the CCS route in Europe so that might also encourage interoperability.

But, for the time being at least, a Taycan would need to find a CCS rapid charger.
Cheers John -very comprehensive. I should really read a little more around EVs considering the future push.

Another perhaps silly question: Is it possible to charge the cars using a standard home supply? I used to see the G WIzz things parked up in central london with wires going through house doors and windows. Is that still a thing?
Jet Black GTS | 21" Sport Classics Gloss Black | PanRoof | Air Suspension + PASM | Pebble Grey Interior | Sport Design Mirrors | PDLS+ | Light Comfort | Bose | PS+
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Good to see a real world evaluation of an EV.

Fanboys never really let in about the range domination at normal motorway speeds. Ie 75-85mph
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:22 am The bad news is that real world driving resulted in them only managing to get 160 miles between having to get a charge
Something isn't quite adding up there. I can get around 200 miles motorway range out of my 75D and a 100D would be around 240-250 miles. So 160 miles is way off the mark for whatever reason.
johnd

Post by johnd »

wizzzard wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:58 pm Another perhaps silly question: Is it possible to charge the cars using a standard home supply? I used to see the G WIzz things parked up in central london with wires going through house doors and windows. Is that still a thing?
Yes, very much so - home charging is still very much a thing. The basic charging is simply a standard 3-pin mains connection but this will only supply 3kW (in the UK). But most EV owners will get a dedicated charge-point installed at home which will allow 7kW.

Then, especially if you have 7kW available at home, the only time you're ever likely to need to visit a rapid charger is on a long trip when you need to top up en route. Otherwise for 90-95% of everyday driving you'll top up at home overnight (or every 2-3 days) and start each day with a full tank of petrol IYSWIM.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Peteski wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:24 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:22 am The bad news is that real world driving resulted in them only managing to get 160 miles between having to get a charge
Something isn't quite adding up there. I can get around 200 miles motorway range out of my 75D and a 100D would be around 240-250 miles. So 160 miles is way off the mark for whatever reason.
What speed are you doing on Motorways. They seemed to be doing 70-80! hence my comment
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Macananon wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:52 pm
Peteski wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:24 pm
What speed are you doing on Motorways. They seemed to be doing 70-80! hence my comment
On a long trip I typically set cruise at 75 mph
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Peterski

The limiting factor was Tesla’s own Supercharger network and the vast distances involved. They did between 450 and 650 miles per day.

They had to have a quick charge simply because the X could not make it to the next Supercharger, so it was often an equivalent of the splash and dash we do that is only fill up on Motorways with enough to get us to where we want to go.

So a 240 mile range is of little use if Superchargers are every 200 miles.

You start at zero miles with a full battery and have to stop to charge at 200 miles then you drive on another 200 miles and charge. Then drive another 150 miles to the Hotel where there is no Supercharger.

Next morning its at the nearest Supercharger and the cycle repeats, so the next 550 miles needs 3 charge stops maybe more, depending upon location of the next Supercharger.

The total miles was about 3300 and they had 21 charge stops and 2 sessions of range anxiety one of which was the equivalent of having to drive for a couple of hours at 45 mph on our Motorway to get to their nearest Supercharger.

Of course that was in the USA we are different in the distances between Superchargers but I certainly would not want to attempt the North Coast 500 in an EV. As it was they left Las Vegas and had to pass on going to see The Grand Canyon because they did not have the range.

They seemed to leave their Hotel and stop very soon to charge then onward to the next Supercharger system which did frequently seem to be located in questionable isolated locations.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags