VW to still build ICE cars as late as 2040 and beyond

The place to discuss everything else..
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Rab J wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:01 pm You would wonder whither transporting your children or yourself for that matter around in close proximity to massif electrical field is any less damaging than living below a high tension pylon :shock:
Steady on Rab. There is no consistent evidence that long term exposure to electromagnetic fields (EMFs) is a health risk to children or adults. But anyway, vehicle electrical systems, even at 48v, are not going to produce measurable EMFs in adjacent vehicles. You’re at far greater risk from colliding with them!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Col Lamb wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:26 pm
SAC1 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:23 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:28 pm
BUT

By 2040 it may very well be the case that to fill up a tank with that nasty polluting, child killing diesel will cost so much cash that a second mortage may well be required. ;)
AND you think that electricity by 2040 will stay as cheap as it is now, if the lights aren't already off :o Mortgage - you'll need direct access to the Bank of England's vaults.

So good to know that there will be no pollution from electricity production. Not to mention the billions it will cost to replace the worlds' billions of ICE vehicles. No pollution in that accelerated vehicle production cycle either then. :oops:

Just hope children don't end up getting electrocuted from all those trailing power cables from cars to supply poles on streets and in car parks. They'll be having so much "fun" unplugging them for a mate's dare. :twisted:

Can't wait to see that electric Caterpillar earthmoving machine too :?: that no longer needs diesel to power it.

Here's to the development of non-polluting synthetic petrol and diesel. This will enable people to continue to have the freedom of the world's road without cables or even charging pads. :D
Getting a bit upset are we!

Like it or not ICE for cars will become a thing of the past, it has to be as we simply cannot continue to pollute or Cities the way are currently.

I am no Chemist but non-polluting chemical fuel does not seem to be much of a possibility, the nearest we have is the Fuel Cell vehicles like Honda’s but as that runs on Hydrogen which is inefficient in its production.

Why do we need to have a two tonne vehicle to transport a single person a few miles to work and back?
Lol! Don't know champ! Why don't you let us know? You're the proud owner of turbo one no less! :lol:
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

SAC1 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:23 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:28 pm
BUT

By 2040 it may very well be the case that to fill up a tank with that nasty polluting, child killing diesel will cost so much cash that a second mortage may well be required. ;)
AND you think that electricity by 2040 will stay as cheap as it is now, if the lights aren't already off :o Mortgage - you'll need direct access to the Bank of England's vaults.

So good to know that there will be no pollution from electricity production. Not to mention the billions it will cost to replace the worlds' billions of ICE vehicles. No pollution in that accelerated vehicle production cycle either then. :oops:
There's no reason why electricity should get more expensive per unit than it is today. If anything the economies of scale will make it inherently cheaper per unit as demand for electricity increases. Obviously there will be grid infrastructure upgrades required and a big push toward renewables, but that is already happening regardless of EVs. Energy usage in both industry and domestic markets has been steadily reducing in recent years due to better energy efficiency, so a steady increase in EVs will both balance the reduction in energy consumption in other uses and smooth the demand curve over a 24 hour period, which has always been an issue for grid generation. Taxes will obviously shift from fossil fuels to electricity or direct road use charging, but that revenue is again required regardless of how we choose to fuel our future cars.

I expect future generations will also become much smarter in minimising the use of personal transport in their working lives. While there will always be some people who genuinely need to move around during the day, there are many others who really don't!
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

I just don't get all this battery rechargeable b*llocks for vehicle power.

I have several rechargeable things - ranging from a shaver to a smartphone to a hedge trimmer to an electric drill. Once charged they work well. BUT once discharged they take an age to recharge. So you're buggered unless you have spare and charged power packs.

With a car you're grounded until a lengthy time passes to charge it. How can this be progress? It's such a backward step.

Yes I know the argument - you never let it drop below 10% and aim to keep it at 80%. I for one will not contemplate a BEV until recharge times are the same or quicker than petrol / diesel refilling. If you run your petrol tank low and should have topped it up the evening before it's no biggy to do it the next morning enroute. Forget to charge your BEV overnight and you're stuffed.

It's not as if BEVs are good value for money to buy versus ICE.

So I cannot go along with all this "Brexit electric" rush twaddle.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Well... crude oil price is down, while petrol and diesel isn’t... who is pocketing the diff? Tax Man!
When there will be fewer petrol/diesel vehicles to tax, other energy sources will be the new source of tax income. No?
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

42A4E6F6-DC6A-4587-8110-BD8EEA2AF10A.gif

Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

SAC1 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:45 pm I just don't get all this battery rechargeable b*llocks for vehicle power.

I have several rechargeable things - ranging from a shaver to a smartphone to a hedge trimmer to an electric drill. Once charged they work well. BUT once discharged they take an age to recharge. So you're buggered unless you have spare and charged power packs.

With a car you're grounded until a lengthy time passes to charge it. How can this be progress? It's such a backward step.

Yes I know the argument - you never let it drop below 10% and aim to keep it at 80%. I for one will not contemplate a BEV until recharge times are the same or quicker than petrol / diesel refilling. If you run your petrol tank low and should have topped it up the evening before it's no biggy to do it the next morning enroute. Forget to charge your BEV overnight and you're stuffed.

Well said. That post echoes my thoughts on this whole EV nonsense as well.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

SAC1 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:45 pm I just don't get all this battery rechargeable b*llocks for vehicle power.

Surely you can at least see how it works for those who are able to charge at home overnight or perhaps while at work? While EVs don't work for everyone, there are still millions who could benefit from switching to an EV and I'm sure that's what will happen over the next few years. Basically anyone with a driveway or garage will sooner or later see the advantages. I wouldn't even entertain the idea of going back to a petrol or diesel car now.
muxty

Post by muxty »

<deleted post>
Last edited by muxty on Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

muxty wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:33 pm

Sorry, but this is the most stupid post I've read in a while.
Jump down from your high horse before it's too late.

Someone expresses legitimate concerns about issues surrounding EVs, issues which are universally accepted as real. Your first reaction is to jump down their throat. Your comment is bang out of order. WTF are you doing on this site anyway with such an attitude mate???!