Porsche and BMW EV charging

The place to discuss everything else..
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

If this becomes mainstream and installed across the country in all service stations once it has gone beyond prototype stage, I'm into EVs...

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/ ... ith-petrol

There Peteski...gauntlet thrown! :lol:

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

There are numerous technical issues with this, which have been discussed on the various EV websites, but there is no doubt that charging times are going to come down over the next decade. At least on the roadside where it matters. Home charging is always going to be slow, but that's fine.

For me personally the benefits would be pretty minimal as I don't spend much time roadside charging today, but still handy to be able to top up in say 5 mins instead of the 20-30 mins it currently takes. Although I've grown to enjoy chilling out a little on longer trips, so maybe faster charging will just encourage me to thrash onward without taking a proper break? At least the option will be there when in a big hurry.
Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

When the E-Tron GT concept car goes into production at the end of 2020 Audi are quoting 15-20 minutes for an 80% charge using a 350kW charger and wireless induction charging will be available for home charging.

I must say the GT looks stunning. https://www.autoblog.com/photos/audi-e- ... de-7475754
Last edited by Mistertoad on Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
2016 Bentley Continental GT V8 S
happy days

Post by happy days »

I'd say rapid charging would need to be a fairly irregular event in order to prevent battery damage? If used sparingly it would probably be ok, but if it was every charge?
Macan S D
718 S
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Mistertoad wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:56 pm When the E-Tron GT concept car goes into production at the end of 2020 Audi are quoting 15-20 minutes for an 80% charge using a 350kW charger and wireless induction charging will be available for home charging.

I must say the GT looks stunning. https://www.autoblog.com/photos/audi-e- ... de-7475754
I have to agree. It looks amazing.
Deleted User 1874

Mistertoad wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:56 pm When the E-Tron GT concept car goes into production at the end of 2020 Audi are quoting 15-20 minutes for an 80% charge using a 350kW charger and wireless induction charging will be available for home charging.

I think it's based on the Taycan platform. It does look great, but I think the 350 kW charging options will be somewhat limited in 2020. But it demonstrates what is possible in the not so distant future. I think realistically we can expect plenty of 150 kW CCS chargers, which is fine by me.

I'm not convinced about the merits of induction charging at home. Seems like a bit of a gimmick and it will make parking more of a faff. Charging with a simple plug in cable is just fine at home and gives some flexibility. I really wouldn't want to be digging up the garage floor to fit some proprietary induction charger for a car I might not own for more than a few years. Changing the plug adaptor on a generic wall charger is no big deal.
Mistertoad

Post by Mistertoad »

Peteski wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:16 pm

I think it's based on the Taycan platform. It does look great, but I think the 350 kW charging options will be somewhat limited in 2020. But it demonstrates what is possible in the not so distant future. I think realistically we can expect plenty of 150 kW CCS chargers, which is fine by me.

I'm not convinced about the merits of induction charging at home. Seems like a bit of a gimmick and it will make parking more of a faff. Charging with a simple plug in cable is just fine at home and gives some flexibility. I really wouldn't want to be digging up the garage floor to fit some proprietary induction charger for a car I might not own for more than a few years. Changing the plug adaptor on a generic wall charger is no big deal.
I have been told the platform was developed with Porsche. The neat car charging panel on the E-tron SUV is positioned on the front left side of the car with the option of a second one on the right side, which will make home charging more flexible. I imagined the induction charger would lie on the garage floor rather like a big hotplate!
2015 Cayenne S - Sold
2016 718 Boxster - Sold
2016 Bentley Continental GT V8 S
Deleted User 1874

happy days wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:00 pm I'd say rapid charging would need to be a fairly irregular event in order to prevent battery damage? If used sparingly it would probably be ok, but if it was every charge?
This is one issue and although I'm no battery expert, I believe that a higher "C" rating (which is a measure of how fast the battery can accept a charge) implies a lower power density and hence higher weight or less range. I know Tesla are on the fence about increasing charge rates above 250 kW for these trade-offs. They have talked about extremely high charge rates, like up to 1 MW, but only for very large batteries like they are planning to put in their truck. The bigger the battery, the more kW it can take for the same "C" rating. I'm only familiar with this because I fly RC helicopters which use similar Lipo batteries. The bigger the pack, the more power you can safely pump into it.

Small battery EVs like the Leaf and i3 have already proven that they can't even take multiple 50 kW charge rates on a continuous trip, so there's no way they are going to benefit from ultra-high speed chargers. Larger 100 kWh Tesla batteries can easily manage the current 120 kW charge limit all day long, but even the smaller 75 kWh batteries are capped at around 95 kW when charging. I think Porsche are getting around this limit by increasing the battery voltage (and that is the trend in the RC world too), but it's not clear what effect it has on battery life etc.
Last edited by Deleted User 1874 on Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 1874

Mistertoad wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:42 pm
Peteski wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:16 pm

I have been told the platform was developed with Porsche. The neat car charging panel on the E-tron SUV is positioned on the front left side of the car with the option of a second one on the right side, which will make home charging more flexible. I imagined the induction charger would lie on the garage floor rather like a big hotplate!
Yeah I guess that could work, but you will still have a power cable running across the garage floor if it's not all built-in. I don't see much point in adding extra weight to the car for something that isn't currently an issue. Plugging in a wall charger in the garage is no hassle at all. Out on the street it's a different story, but I don't expect to see any induction chargers built into the road any time soon.
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Mistertoad wrote:When the E-Tron GT concept car goes into production at the end of 2020 Audi are quoting 15-20 minutes for an 80% charge using a 350kW charger and wireless induction charging will be available for home charging.

Charging with 350kW? Nice if you live or work in an industrial park with wiring that can handle it [emoji12]
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4