Some new diesel cars emit 11 times the legal pollution limit

The place to discuss everything else..
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Interesting article: https://www.petrolprices.com/news/worst ... ion-limit/

Some extracts:

Renault and Nissan came out worst :twisted: performing, after signing a strategic partnership deal in 1999, meaning that their diesel engines are the same. The legal limit for NOx is 0.08mg/km, and Renault Nissan averaged over 12 times that, way above 0.8 mg km.

The worst offenders from these brands included the Renault Kaptur, and the Nissan Juke and Qashqai, as identified through previous research.

Following Renault Nissan came Fiat Chrysler with a figure just under 0.8mg/km. Hyuandi entered in third place, with Toyota and Ford taking fourth and fifth respectively. The VW group actually fell near the bottom of the list, showing their commitment to change since the dieselgate scandal of 2015, with Jaguar Land Rover taking the bottom spot and having the cleanest engines.

Taxis pollute the most :evil:
The study also found that the most common black cab models pollute up to 30 times more NOx than a personal car of the same age. Euro 5 black taxi cabs, some of the newer models and technically more compliant with stricter emissions test, are producing at least 50% more NOX than of the Euro 3 or Euro 4 models. The average NOX emissions from cabs per KG of fuel used have actually seen a measurable increase in the past five years.

When compared to buses, this is shocking as there has been a 65% decrease in emissions by buses over the last five years, and due to the number of people, a bus can hold it means they are naturally less polluting anyway when compared to the pollutant per person.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

SAC1 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:28 pm Interesting article: https://www.petrolprices.com/news/worst ... ion-limit/

Some extracts:

Renault and Nissan came out worst :twisted: performing, after signing a strategic partnership deal in 1999, meaning that their diesel engines are the same. The legal limit for NOx is 0.08mg/km, and Renault Nissan averaged over 12 times that, way above 0.8 mg km.

The worst offenders from these brands included the Renault Kaptur, and the Nissan Juke and Qashqai, as identified through previous research.

Following Renault Nissan came Fiat Chrysler with a figure just under 0.8mg/km. Hyuandi entered in third place, with Toyota and Ford taking fourth and fifth respectively. The VW group actually fell near the bottom of the list, showing their commitment to change since the dieselgate scandal of 2015, with Jaguar Land Rover taking the bottom spot and having the cleanest engines.

The study also found that the most common black cab models pollute up to 30 times more NOx than a personal car of the same age. Euro 5 black taxi cabs, some of the newer models and technically more compliant with stricter emissions test, are producing at least 50% more NOX than of the Euro 3 or Euro 4 models. The average NOX emissions from cabs per KG of fuel used have actually seen a measurable increase in the past five years.

When compared to buses, this is shocking as there has been a 65% decrease in emissions by buses over the last five years, and due to the number of people, a bus can hold it means they are naturally less polluting anyway when compared to the pollutant per person.
You obviously have not seen the buses around my area- belching out clouds of soot as they struggle up hills.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Same here with buses ...
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

SAC1 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:28 pm Interesting article: https://www.petrolprices.com/news/worst ... ion-limit/

Some extracts:

Taxi's being the worse offenders is no surprise as the diesels used are ..... drum roll .... Nissan produced :o
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Col M

Post by Col M »

https://www.trueinitiative.org/true-rating
Well the Macan SD is sadly well up there in NOx
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

I've seen some terrible diesels, the obvious particulate emissions suggest a failure of parts of the MOT system.

We've got a couple of older diesels in the company; last week I noticed that the exhausts aren't the traditional sooty black but clean and greyish.

Maybe a scrappage scheme for old diesels based on emissions would do more than punishing producers of newer, cleaner cars?
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

It's kinda satisfying to know that the SD rates as poor. What with being ripped off by the latest VED rates on pricey motors, additional depreciation we are suffering from, due to all the hysterical coverage, Porsche dropping the model altogether, the inversion of pump prices of petrol/diesel (for tax raising reasons) once enough people had been sucked into the scam, etc.

At least when I floor it, I'm getting my money's worth!

Not a very sensible approach to the environmental issues at stake, I warrant (tongue firmly in cheek BTW), but ferchrissake, the powers that be have handled this whole thing pretty badly, leaping from one thing to the other! Now, why doesn't that surprise me?

#rantmodeoff
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Governments are in panic mode because science is telling them that it's almost too late to do anything about climate change and pollution. I think visionaries like Carl Sagan saw this scenario coming a long time ago, but it was always in the distant future as far as politicians were concerned and still is for some! I seriously doubt Trump or Putin care about anything beyond their own lifetimes and power. It's basically a race against time and personal transport is just one of many environmental challenges we now face in the modern world. The industrial revolution was the opening of Pandora's box and now it's rapidly spiralling out of control.

On the plus side, there does appear to be a general consensus among countries that action needs to be taken sooner rather than later, but actually taking appropriate action is easier said than done. There's a lot of big business at stake here and the implications for the automotive industry in particular are hard to overstate. The likes of VW appear to be struggling to take it all in and make their future plans fit the political and environmental agenda. I guess cheating the emissions tests was not really a long term solution and in fact a seriously stupid act for a large corporate. It's a shame Porsche had to get dragged into it by proxy.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Peteski wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:02 pm Governments are in panic mode because science is telling them that it's almost too late to do anything about climate change and pollution. I think visionaries like Carl Sagan saw this scenario coming a long time ago, but it was always in the distant future as far as politicians were concerned and still is for some! I seriously doubt Trump or Putin care about anything beyond their own lifetimes and power. It's basically a race against time and personal transport is just one of many environmental challenges we now face in the modern world. The industrial revolution was the opening of Pandora's box and now it's rapidly spiralling out of control.

On the plus side, there does appear to be a general consensus among countries that action needs to be taken sooner rather than later, but actually taking appropriate action is easier said than done. There's a lot of big business at stake here and the implications for the automotive industry in particular are hard to overstate. The likes of VW appear to be struggling to take it all in and make their future plans fit the political and environmental agenda. I guess cheating the emissions tests was not really a long term solution and in fact a seriously stupid act for a large corporate. It's a shame Porsche had to get dragged into it by proxy.
Governments are most certainly not in panic mode.

For the last 30 years the Governments of this planet have repeatedly failed to take any effective action.

As long as the $ rules and all that matters is profit then there will be no agreements in place to rectify the current status.

De forestation is rife.

Pollution in counties such as China, India, Mexico etc is out of control

More and more in the UK alone are having to commute more

Parents endanger their own kids by driving them to school, then flooring the throttle to get to where they have to be as quickly as possible.

In the UK successive Governments have been hell bent on slowing traffic to such an extent that the vast majority of vehicles are operating in their least efficient manner.

The list goes on and on.

We are doomed Captn Mannering, doomed
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags