911 Turbo S

The place to discuss everything else..
VanB

Post by VanB »

Kasfranks99 wrote:Has anyone got or used the Front axle lift system on a 911? I think depending on model it’s 20-40mm.

Thoughts on if this solves some of the issues mentioned would be interested to know.

Thanks
Test drove the GTS sufficiently to ascertain it was an unnecessary extravagance along with rear wheel steer and PCCBs etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

VanB wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:56 pm You would need front axle lift with a further -20mm WingCo and that would be very expensive to fit even if available!
Hi VanB. I doubt if retro-fitted front axle lift is even a thing! If it was, I dread to think what the prohibitive cost would be! :shock:

My understanding is that the suspension modifications that Litchfield offer would effectively give a similar ride height/stance to a 991.2 GT3.

I know that some use GT3s as daily drivers (good for them!) and that not all GT3 buyers will have opted for front axle lift...

In any case, it's on the back burner, rather than an imminent plan. ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
adrian991

Post by adrian991 »

VanB wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:43 am Generally not with normal speed bumps or ramps but occasionally one is slightly too high or a ramp needs approaching on an angle. There is a plastic rubbing strip on the lower front lip which is cheap and easy to replace if you have too many incidents!

My 991.2 C4 GTS has the -20mm chassis and front axle lift which is electro hydraulic however it drops back down again above 22 mph unlike the GT3 system which is electro pneumatic and stays up until 35 mph. Its also very easy to damage the front splitter has I found out earlier this year on a narrow, poorly surfaced road with lots of dips and humps. Despite having lift I was caught out descending a small undulating bump in the road, got above 22, the front lowered and the front lower splitter ploughed into the ground and was very badly scraped on the underside. You also have to be wary of scraping the brake cooling ducts as it's all too easy to rip those off too. Unfortunately, unlike the GT3 and Carrera variants which have a moulded black ABS splitter, the one fitted to the GTS is always painted in either black or body colour if you have the painted side skirts. The part only comes in primer and costs about £250 then you have to get it painted.😩 In the end I sanded my down as all the damage was underneath and not visible unless you got down and peered underneath the car and then painted it with a can of Satin Black from Halfords. As I have subsequently done it again, I'm glad not to have forked out £250 + the cost of painting it.
In summary if you have the -20mm chassis and don't have axle lift then you do have to be a bit more careful than driving a car with the standard -10mm chassis.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Couple of things to query there Adrian:

My 991.2 C2 GTS has the moulded black plastic front splitter, unpainted. Same with side skirts.

When I ordered mine the standard GTS suspension was lowered 20mm compared with other Carreras. There was an option to have 10mm lowered suspension rather than standard 20mm. I took that option in anticipation of grounding issues based on where I live and on experience with demonstrator cars.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
VanB

Post by VanB »

Maybe he went for painted options? I didn't go for the 10mm option but stuck with the -20mm and the unpainted trim on front splitter and sideskirts etc in anticipation of potential problems. In reality, I rarely have an issue in grounding unless there is an exceptionally large speed bump or unusually steep gradient to a ramp so very much doubt it should be an issue for the OP unless he lives up a steep hill with a rutted track in which case he's bought the wrong car ;)
smithy37

Post by smithy37 »

Rab J wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:14 pm Great to see another member of the forum 911 GTS club and with a unique colour if I'm not mistaken
You can now add me to the esteemed list 👋
Although not sure if I qualify for the unique colour department.
Taycan Turbo S
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPMJ963

Litchfield tuned Porsche Carrera 4 GTS (991.2)

Sold in Jan 2019 - Cayenne Turbo (E3)

Sold in 2018 - Macan Turbo (15):
Paul

Post by Paul »

Or the even more select “4” sub-club!😂
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

VanB wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:57 pm
Kasfranks99 wrote:Has anyone got or used the Front axle lift system on a 911? I think depending on model it’s 20-40mm.

Thoughts on if this solves some of the issues mentioned would be interested to know.

Thanks
Test drove the GTS sufficiently to ascertain it was an unnecessary extravagance along with rear wheel steer and PCCBs etc.

Thanks VanB 👍

Yes definately PCCBs and rear wheel steer are options I have not been interested in.

Front axle lift I may need to test as driveways are dipped down partly.
And it’s more than one location so may be an expense worth it for me. No pricing on the configuration at the moment for any 911 stuff so not even sure the costs. 😮
GTS 😀
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Well I'm pleased to say measured mine and its a modest 150mm :o at centre :lol: :lol: any less than that is asking for trouble ;)
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
VanB

Post by VanB »

Kasfranks99 wrote:
VanB wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:57 pm

Thanks

Thanks VanB [emoji106]

Yes definately PCCBs and rear wheel steer are options I have not been interested in.

Front axle lift I may need to test as driveways are dipped down partly.
And it’s more than one location so may be an expense worth it for me. No pricing on the configuration at the moment for any 911 stuff so not even sure the costs. [emoji50]
Kasfranks you may be surprised how much of a slope it can cope with. I have enough of a slope on my drive to have slid onto the main road when I had a BMW and the 911 is fine. Very occasionally, if a car park ramp is particularly steep I might just scrape the underside but nothing serious.

If I remember correctly front axle lift was about £1,800 when I specced mine (+ or -). I’m sure someone can confirm.