992 comes with "wet mode"

The place to discuss everything else..
goron59

Post by goron59 »

:lol:

https://jalopnik.com/the-new-porsche-91 ... 1831486033

Though how the non-AWD 911s are supposed to become FWD biased, I don't know :roll:
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

VanB

Post by VanB »

IMHO a load of baloney as the Americans would say. Well spotted, Goron - I doubt a 2WD Carrera (the vast majority) has any chance of delivering more to the front wheels! Also, it's the width of the tyre, not the diameter that is the important factor in aquaplaning. Wet mode = pointless if the driver is experienced and sensible.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

VanB wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:29 am IMHO a load of baloney as the Americans would say. Well spotted, Goron - I doubt a 2WD Carrera (the vast majority) has any chance of delivering more to the front wheels! Also, it's the width of the tyre, not the diameter that is the important factor in aquaplaning. Wet mode = pointless if the driver is experienced and sensible.
But surely the majority of 911 owners are not ....... experienced and sensible.

If they were then the driver aids would not be necessary

The majority drive a status badge, pure and simple, the minority of keen and able drivers frequent forums like this.

Remember in the eighties and nineties the numpties with new cash were crashing or loosing the back end of their 911 cars because the thickness of their wallets matched the thickness of their driving ability.

Its the electronic aids that are now inbuilt that stop far more accidents happening.

If you have been to the PEC you cannot help but observe at the limited driving abilty shown by the vast number of drivers on the tracks.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
VanB

Post by VanB »

Actually, Col I would suggest that the vast majority of 911 owners are both experienced and sensible which is how they came to be in a 911 in the first place. It is a minority that has more money than sense at a young age who go out and thrash their cars in inappropriate conditions because they have neither sufficient experience nor common sense.

A couple of years ago a PEC instructor told me about a new 911 driver who was trying to make a warranty claim because he trashed his car when aquaplaning. Sorry - big fat tyres, wet weather and too much speed does not lead to a warranty claim. Apparently, his argument was that the car was unfit for purpose. My argument would be that he is a complete bellend who should probably have his license taken off him.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

VanB wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:59 am Actually, Col I would suggest that the vast majority of 911 owners are both experienced and sensible which is how they came to be in a 911 in the first place. It is a minority that has more money than sense at a young age who go out and thrash their cars in inappropriate conditions because they have neither sufficient experience nor common sense.

A couple of years ago a PEC instructor told me about a new 911 driver who was trying to make a warranty claim because he trashed his car when aquaplaning. Sorry - big fat tyres, wet weather and too much speed does not lead to a warranty claim. Apparently, his argument was that the car was unfit for purpose. My argument would be that he is a complete bellend who should probably have his license taken off him.
So now we know why Porsche are developing the systems, precisely for numpties like the guy you quote.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

The big flaw in the system is that “it will alert the driver to activate this mode”

So when the car detects that conditions are becoming slippy underfoot, water on the road etc etc a warning light will ping up and the weak link in the chain (the driver) will need to make a conscious effort to push a button.

Those owners who are aware of their surrounding / conditions / capabilities will have already taken appropriate measure and slowed down. Those who need a warning light to tell them its raining hard will either ignore it or take the car back to the dealership complaining of the warning light😉
Last edited by Paul on Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

I read about this mode when the 992 was announced but I didn’t realise it was manually operated once you were alerted.

I think it would of been better for it to come on automatically once it defected enough water and if you are silly enough you can turn it off....
Nothing is better that a sensible driver who understands conditions and adapts to them but I welcome the extra assistance.

This article explains a bit more.

https://www.autonews.com/blogs/porsche- ... quaplaning
GTS 😀
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:51 am But surely the majority of 911 owners are not ....... experienced and sensible.

The majority drive a status badge, pure and simple, the minority of keen and able drivers frequent forums like this.

Remember in the eighties and nineties the numpties with new cash were crashing or loosing the back end of their 911 cars because the thickness of their wallets matched the thickness of their driving ability.

Its the electronic aids that are now inbuilt that stop far more accidents happening.

If you have been to the PEC you cannot help but observe at the limited driving abilty shown by the vast number of drivers on the tracks.

Oh, here we go again! Yet another category of owners who are just driving a badge!! :roll: :shock: :lol:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
smithy37

Post by smithy37 »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:51 am
VanB wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:29 am IMHO a load of baloney as the Americans would say. Well spotted, Goron - I doubt a 2WD Carrera (the vast majority) has any chance of delivering more to the front wheels! Also, it's the width of the tyre, not the diameter that is the important factor in aquaplaning. Wet mode = pointless if the driver is experienced and sensible.
But surely the majority of 911 owners are not ....... experienced and sensible.

You been watching me at the PEC? 😂😂🤣🤣

The driving instructor asked me what I wanted to get from my experience. I said to become a more accomplished driver. He spent the next three hours “shouting” at me. I did ask! Pandora’s box springs to mind.

Thoroughly enjoyable experience & inevitably I learned a lot.
Taycan Turbo S
http://www.porsche-code.com/PMPMJ963

Litchfield tuned Porsche Carrera 4 GTS (991.2)

Sold in Jan 2019 - Cayenne Turbo (E3)

Sold in 2018 - Macan Turbo (15):