JLR staff cuts.

The place to discuss everything else..
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

goron59 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:16 am
Peteski wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:04 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:09 am Whatever the faults may be with JLR and the cr4p sales and after sales service its the folks in the factory that will suffer the most.
From the BBC report "Management, marketing and administrative roles are expected to be hardest hit, but some production staff may also be affected."

So on the face of it looks like more of a cull of white collar UK staff.

Shhhh - let people whinge about factory workers being hit without checking facts first!
Less bean counters and self perpetuating intra groups are great.

One organisation I worked for had six senior staff on well over £100k (this was 20 years ago) and each in turn had staff, by my crude reckoning they cost £6M to maintain and all they did was pass info around between themselves, conversely those of us at the sharp end were working 12 hours plus a day just to keep our heads above water.

Getting the balance right in any organisation is essential.

Its those with the true Technical Skills that should be retained and nurtured.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:51 am Its those with the true Technical Skills that should be retained and nurtured.
In my experience as a professional engineer, this only really happens in niche industries like motorsport. As a graduate engineer back in 1991 I was considering an engineering career in the mainstream automotive industry (I was sponsored by Ford through uni) until I realised the pay grades strongly favoured non-technical functions like finance and sales. Indeed a fair few of my fellow engineering students decided to take the popular conversion courses into finance and accounting careers. But I decided to take the plunge into motorsport engineering, which was a much less structured and tougher route to take, but the benefits for doing well far outweighed anything you could get working as an engineer for Ford!

It's no surprise that you see vastly greater engineering talent within the UK motorsport industry (which leads the world by a country mile) vs the dull and uninspiring mainstream UK automotive industry!
andreas

Post by andreas »

SAC1 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:13 am A friend of mine has had awful experience with a new £70k Range Rover Sport that he unloaded recently after a frustrating 6 months. It was off the road more than it was on.

His comment:
"So 4500 redundancies at JLR! Don’t blame Brexit, China or diesel! On personal experience - dreadful quality, poor vision, bad management decision making and even worse after sales service gets what you’ve got! Sad really, but totally self induced!"
This is surely the crux of the matter. If owners here in the UK have such difficulty getting satisfaction from a relatively local head office, what on earth do the buyers in China do? Presumably, they don't buy a second one, as JLR are finding.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
VanB

Post by VanB »

It is all about moving jobs overseas to save money. Nothing more and nothing less. Yes they've been buggered a bit by China sales but I bet worldwide employee numbers stay stagnant
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Taz

Post by Taz »

JLR have poached large numbers of staff from competitors, offering significant salaries and benefits. Such overheads are difficult to cover unless you can maintain the profit margin, which JLR seem unable to do.

It's a great shame and I would not normally slate a 'British' company, but of the people I know who drive or have driven JLR products, most have tales of unreliability and poor service.

I have ex-colleagues who work for JLR and so I sincerely hope that the company resolves its problems as quickly as possible.
So when is this ‘old enough to know better’ supposed to kick in ?

Cayenne GTS - Mar 2022
Cayenne S - Aug 2019 to Mar 2022
Macan Turbo - Feb 2018 to Aug 2019
Cayenne S - Apr 2015 to Feb 2018
Cayenne - Jul 2013 - Apr 2015
BMW R1250GS - since Dec 2021
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4