JLR staff cuts.

The place to discuss everything else..
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

As I once said to an old MD of mine ' Growth cannot be indefinite for anything, so let's plan for the lean times'. Lead balloons haven't fallen quicker but I am correct. Eventually, there will be no more room for cars, trucks, buses and something has to give, Over capacity, political correctness, ignorance and the Green party will put an end to the motor industry as we know it within 50 years.

JLR should have set up factories in the USA or Mexico as well as China. That would make them more competitive but they are not a big Global player. Honda sell more cars than them It's sad but inevitable. The Germans are not immune either but the unions there are strong and they may dress it up if they have to sack workers.

No doubt Corbyn will blame the Tories as he does for everything.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.

Pivot

Post by Pivot »

This is so unfortunate... JLR is an icon of British engineering!

Interesting that JLR are building a factory on main land Europe and Brexit is a catalyst to accelerate the process. Diesel is still very popular across the moat but under WTO they will no longer be competitive. The new factory is going to build ... electric cars ... which should have been built here at JLR home!
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

When I wanted a new 3.0 petrol XF in 2015, I discovered they had been discontinued in 2013. Today, Autotrader, for XFs pre facelift built 2012 - 2015, list 1,315 diesels but only 6 x 3.0 ltr petrols (2012 & 2013). Right now, you can only spec a 3.0 petrol engine in a new F Type. Easy to be critical with hindsight, perhaps they should have been offering the 3.0 petrol in most models from at least a year ago. By comparison Porsche were quick to act.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

VanB wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:41 pm I am less sure that diesel is their main issue, after all it is still the fuel of choice for most large, load-lugging, 4x4s and I very much doubt that the traditional Land Rover/Range Rover buyer is particularly worried about the diesel issue.

I think China is a massive issue for them coupled with the fact that their product range has so many overlaps and ill-defined sectors and they have nearly all become very ugly with plastic interiors and at a premium price. In short, I think their product line is confused and all over the place and far from premium.
Agree about the diesel.

But we need to expand our horizons and not just the UK where oil burners may have been the only option for us it is not the case in other non EU countries.

If anyone takes a look on the JLR website in the USA and take a look at the RR and LR models and there is hardly an oil burner anywhere, in fact with the Evoke there is just two petrol engine options where all we get is the choice of oil burner.

Move over to Jaguar USA and look at the XF where there are 2 puny oil burners and 5 petrol engines including one with a respectable 380 bhp. F Pace has 1 oil burner and 5 petrol including one with 550 hp V8.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

A friend of mine has had awful experience with a new £70k Range Rover Sport that he unloaded recently after a frustrating 6 months. It was off the road more than it was on.

His comment:
"So 4500 redundancies at JLR! Don’t blame Brexit, China or diesel! On personal experience - dreadful quality, poor vision, bad management decision making and even worse after sales service gets what you’ve got! Sad really, but totally self induced!"
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Peteski wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:04 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:09 am Whatever the faults may be with JLR and the cr4p sales and after sales service its the folks in the factory that will suffer the most.
From the BBC report "Management, marketing and administrative roles are expected to be hardest hit, but some production staff may also be affected."

So on the face of it looks like more of a cull of white collar UK staff.

Shhhh - let people whinge about factory workers being hit without checking facts first!
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

I think that all politicians on a tax-payer payroll should drive locally manufactured vehicles. That would save few jobs and stimulate local industry.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Pivot wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:52 am I think that all politicians on a tax-payer payroll should drive locally manufactured vehicles. That would save few jobs and stimulate local industry.
Why does this remind me of "2-Jags" Prescott? :lol:
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:24 pm
VanB wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:41 pm I am less sure that diesel is their main issue, after all it is still the fuel of choice for most large, load-lugging, 4x4s and I very much doubt that the traditional Land Rover/Range Rover buyer is particularly worried about the diesel issue.

I think China is a massive issue for them coupled with the fact that their product range has so many overlaps and ill-defined sectors and they have nearly all become very ugly with plastic interiors and at a premium price. In short, I think their product line is confused and all over the place and far from premium.
Agree about the diesel.

But we need to expand our horizons and not just the UK where oil burners may have been the only option for us it is not the case in other non EU countries.

If anyone takes a look on the JLR website in the USA and take a look at the RR and LR models and there is hardly an oil burner anywhere, in fact with the Evoke there is just two petrol engine options where all we get is the choice of oil burner.

Move over to Jaguar USA and look at the XF where there are 2 puny oil burners and 5 petrol engines including one with a respectable 380 bhp. F Pace has 1 oil burner and 5 petrol including one with 550 hp V8.
Yes, it would appear that Jaguar are simply responding to local demand for their oil burners. It should be relatively easy for them to switch to petrol engines if demand changes. So for me it doesn't really stand up as an excuse, although maybe they have been too slow to respond to the changing market. iPace must have cost them a fortune to develop too with little financial return at this point. Couple that with patchy build quality and customer service and it's not looking all that rosy. But the brand name is very strong, so should appeal to a Chinese conglomerate!
Col M

Post by Col M »

I'm left with the impression that the Ingenium Engine series is not at all impressive, particularly in petrol.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble