Tesla Model 3 motor issues

The place to discuss everything else..
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Why is it that so much reliance is made on 0-60 times.

In the real world we do not do acceleration runs (much, just the odd TLGP start).

Its the on the move acceleration that matters and that is something a decent EV should excel at.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

goron59

Post by goron59 »

People are conditioned to value measurable numbers over hard to quantify experience.

If we really liked brutal acceleration we’d be on rollercoasters all day.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
johnd

Post by johnd »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:06 pm Why is it that so much reliance is made on 0-60 times.
Don't most people want some metric that measures of the performance of the car in a single value? Personally I'd rather see 30-70 quoted as it dispenses with all the heroics of launch control etc, but it seems to be so rarely measured in reviews nowadays and typically isn't revealed by the manufacturer.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Triple7 wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:37 pm Bloody ugly, but ok inside....
Really?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Col Lamb wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:17 am Its Tesla being cheap,
I’m not sure I’d call the announced base price of €58000 cheap!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Whether I take delivery is probably going to be about flipping I’m afraid. If the market means I can flip the car then I will do so, otherwise I will probably get my deposit back. RHD Tesla deliveries are not going to be until H2 19 at the earliest and competition is increasing by the month.

In the US the wait hasn’t been so bad but I think it will end up being 4 years between order and delivery and that’s probably going to be too long for Tesla to compete.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

CharlesElliott wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:38 pm Whether I take delivery is probably going to be about flipping I’m afraid. If the market means I can flip the car then I will do so, otherwise I will probably get my deposit back. RHD Tesla deliveries are not going to be until H2 19 at the earliest and competition is increasing by the month.

In the US the wait hasn’t been so bad but I think it will end up being 4 years between order and delivery and that’s probably going to be too long for Tesla to compete.
That’s what happens when, lacking automotive manufacturing experience, you create a vehicle that may be electronically sophisticated but is technically complicated to build.
VanB

Post by VanB »

And is the route of Tesla’s problems
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Dandock wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:18 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:17 am Its Tesla being cheap,
I’m not sure I’d call the announced base price of €58000 cheap!
That is the point Mike.

Tesla are probably saving no more than a few hundred dollars on their choice of electric motor for the rear assembly compared to the much more modern and efficient motor fitted up front in the P versions and still charging a premium price for non premium systems.

It would make far more sense to design the whole of the Tesla range around the same rear motor, gearbox and drive system then to go the route of conventional manufacturers where the assemblies are different for each model and the variants within.

Eg
Macan, 5 different engine versions hence so much more complicated in design, compliance and manufacturing route.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

CharlesElliott wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:38 pm Whether I take delivery is probably going to be about flipping I’m afraid. If the market means I can flip the car then I will do so, otherwise I will probably get my deposit back. RHD Tesla deliveries are not going to be until H2 19 at the earliest and competition is increasing by the month.

What competition are you considering instead of a Model 3? I don't see any if you want one in the next 12 months.