Volkswagen’s plan to kill off Tesla - FT 30 Jan 19

The place to discuss everything else..
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

To paraphrase career advice to Benjamin Braddock... ‘hydrogen!’ :shock: :lol:
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Dandock wrote:To paraphrase career advice to Benjamin Braddock... ‘hydrogen!’ :shock: :lol:
Love the idea... hydrogen is easy to consume and generate steam from the exhaust pipe. The problem is with manufacturing cost, that is complex process of taking water and separating hydrogen from oxygen and storing it safely. Mazda tried, BMW tried, unfortunately it was too expensive to scale.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Pivot wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:23 pm
Dandock wrote:To paraphrase career advice to Benjamin Braddock... ‘hydrogen!’ :shock: :lol:
Love the idea... hydrogen is easy to consume and generate steam from the exhaust pipe. The problem is with manufacturing cost, that is complex process of taking water and separating hydrogen from oxygen and storing it safely. Mazda tried, BMW tried, unfortunately it was too expensive to scale.
But with the railways adopting the scale must be coming within reach.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
MCS

Post by MCS »

nsm3 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:06 am I've a feeling the car industry have possibly invented, or been forced to generate, a hole in their medium term revenues, going forward? This may affect available funds for EV development and the speed of implementation?

The messages going out to Joe Public seem to be "why would you buy one of our ice cars, that will be worthless in short order, but please, buy one of our ice cars".

I'm looking now to keep my SD until at least 2025 (8 years old), mainly because residuals have been hit, but current EV offerings are still somewhat expensive/confused/limited/unattractive/other things you may think of. I'm convinced that my next car will be some form of EV, but I'm just not prepared to jump in now/soon and I'm sure plenty of other people will be thinking the same way?

If I'm correct, car builders revenue streams will take a hit?
Totally agree - equally keeping my Macan S Diesel for at least 8-10 years (2025-2027) - by then you will suitable EVs for city driving and a stronger more informed market for long distance diesel SUVs.....
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

VAG is buying Tesla power packs in US, hardly move to kill Tesla [emoji38]

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-volk ... SKCN1PT1NK
johnd

Post by johnd »

Pivot wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:16 pm VAG is buying Tesla power packs in US, hardly move to kill Tesla [emoji38]
To provide power backup for 100 charger sites in the US as I read it.

Perhaps the more interesting part of the article is: 'Global automakers are planning a $300 billion surge in spending on electric vehicle technology over the next five to 10 years, with nearly half of the money targeted at China'. That's quite a few pennies over a reasonably short period, though I'd be interested in knowing the provenance of the $300B figure.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Very interesting...
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

The dramatically escallating pollution levels in China in the 00s through to this decade has been horrendous.

Vehicle growth in that short time frame has been humongous.

The global company I worked for movesd its offices in Shanghai from the 22nd floor to the 68th in an attempt to get above the smog.

So I'm not at all surprised in China's EV growth. Also the state has the multi-billions to dramatically improve the necessary infrastructure, including recharging facilities.

They have a very short personal car owning history to reference too.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Agreed! I used to travel to China regularly. The compliance of CN nation is incredible... when supreme leather decides to change the direction, everybody follows!

Also, car fashion is dictated by the state officials. Whatever cars & colours govt officials buy, private buyers follow. Absolutely fascinating.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

I've only been to China a few times with work and what struck me was the harsh divide between the wealthy and poor. Really quite extreme even by northern UK town standards!