New Taycan

The place to discuss everything else..
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

I can see a secondary market developing for the spot in the queue... that is if we had a queuing system [emoji41]
For now it is a dark art of dealership management
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4

Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

But wait.... whats this? New battery tech? 5 minute charge? Almost no heat. Light!

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/112 ... e-charging
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

On BBC's business news this morning. At the Geneva motor show, the fastest road car ever, the Pininfarina Battista. AND its electric.
Limited numbers to be built. Orders being taken, yours for 2 million euros.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Dandock wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:20 am But wait.... whats this? New battery tech? 5 minute charge? Almost no heat. Light!

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/112 ... e-charging
Very bold game-changing claims there.

First basic question. What chargers are we going to find on the roadside capable of actually delivering this 5-min charge in the next X years?

My take: Realistically we are talking about 150 kW chargers becoming standard over the next few years. These are still pretty rare today, but at least they are being rolled out and there will be quite a few new EVs that can take advantage of them. If we assume this is a 100 kWh battery, then a 80% charge at 150 kW is going to take 32 mins, which is slightly faster than the current Tesla Superchargers at 120 kW. However a 5 min 80% charge requires a 960 kW charger! These would only become a reality if this technology became mainstream, otherwise there is no demand. Same chicken and egg routine that has kept the public charging infrastructure to sub 50 kW chargers for the last decade.

So I'm not getting the logistics here, even if the battery technology itself can deliver. I sense a bit of marketing here to generate bold headlines.
Deleted User 1874

TheTraveller wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:37 am On BBC's business news this morning. At the Geneva motor show, the fastest road car ever, the Pininfarina Battista. AND its electric.
Limited numbers to be built. Orders being taken, yours for 2 million euros.
Yeah, one of many EV hypercars currently under development. It seems to be the direction multi-million pound hypercars are now heading.
johnd

Post by johnd »

And don't you need water-cooled charging cables** to deliver over 200A, certainly for CCS? (Not sure how this works for Tesla Superchargers?). So a lot of charging for nominal 400v cars (which is the norm at present) is limited to around 80kW max. Once the 800v cars like Taycan become more commonplace then then the limit will double, but I'm not clear whether or not this is going to be the new standard or reserved for premium EVs.

** Cooled cables are coming but they still seem to be subject to extended testing and delays.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Deleted User 1874

johnd wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:09 pm And don't you need water-cooled charging cables** to deliver over 200A, certainly for CCS? (Not sure how this works for Tesla Superchargers?). So a lot of charging for nominal 400v cars (which is the norm at present) is limited to around 80kW max. Once the 800v cars like Taycan become more commonplace then then the limit will double, but I'm not clear whether or not this is going to be the new standard or reserved for premium EVs.

** Cooled cables are coming but they still seem to be subject to extended testing and delays.
Tesla has certainly experimented with liquid cooled cables, but I'm pretty sure the standard 120 kW cables are not cooled and I believe they can actually deliver up to 145 kW safely. They are very heavyweight cables and as short as possible. The liquid cooled test cables they had were much lighter and had a higher capacity, but proved to be unreliable in testing. I think they abandoned the idea some years ago, at least for the time being.
johnd

Post by johnd »

johnd wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:09 pm And don't you need water-cooled charging cables** to deliver over 200A, certainly for CCS?
Sorry, I wrote that post as if I know something about it, which I don't really :) . It's just what I've picked up from reading/watching various EV sites/channels. But here's a typical piece about users trying liquid/water-cooled cables.

https://electricrevs.com/2018/12/19/som ... ng-cables/
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Deleted User 1874

johnd wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:52 am
johnd wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:09 pm And don't you need water-cooled charging cables** to deliver over 200A, certainly for CCS?
Sorry, I wrote that post as if I know something about it, which I don't really :) . It's just what I've picked up from reading/watching various EV sites/channels. But here's a typical piece about users trying liquid/water-cooled cables.

https://electricrevs.com/2018/12/19/som ... ng-cables/
Liquid cooling makes sense if designing long, high powered cables for universal use. Tesla were clever in making their hoses as short as possible to minimise heat - unlike the ones in that article! But there is obviously a limit to the power you can transmit without cooling. Maybe 150 kW is about that limit based on Tesla experience? The imminent release of Tesla's latest V3 superchargers will be a good clue and there are rumours of that moving to a liquid cooled cable. I believe they are beginning roll out on those as we speak, but no official specs yet.