New Taycan

The place to discuss everything else..
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Peteski wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:06 am Having read this thread through again, there appear to be several distinct camps here (and this applies to every EV related thread I've ever seen on this forum):-

a) Those who are genuinely curious about new performance EVs like the Taycan, but have some reservations about making the switch to EV and need to ask relevant questions and find out more info. I was in this camp about 18 months ago.

b) Those who have decided that EVs are rubbish for whatever personal reason and feel the need to declare it on every EV related thread. Often banging on about their magnificent 6/8/10/12 cylinder diesel/petrol engine as if it's something new that no EV owner has ever previously experienced.

c) Those who actually have some relevant experience of owning an EV, which is basically me and a couple of others who appear to have given up contributing because of the hostility or simply got bored with the repetition of largely uninformed opinions. Perhaps unsurprisingly we also have considerable experience of owning ICE cars and Porsche in particular, which makes a direct personal comparison fairly straightforward.

I think that about covers it...
Have you perhaps forgotten

d) those that, at the moment, have no interest in EVs until there is an established platform?

Apart from that...tend to agree you !!
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S

Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Peteski wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:06 am Having read this thread through again, there appear to be several distinct camps here (and this applies to every EV related thread I've ever seen on this forum):-

a) Those who are genuinely curious about new performance EVs like the Taycan, but have some reservations about making the switch to EV and need to ask relevant questions and find out more info. I was in this camp about 18 months ago.

b) Those who have decided that EVs are rubbish for whatever personal reason and feel the need to declare it on every EV related thread. Often banging on about their magnificent 6/8/10/12 cylinder diesel/petrol engine as if it's something new that no EV owner has ever previously experienced.

c) Those who actually have some relevant experience of owning an EV, which is basically me and a couple of others who appear to have given up contributing because of the hostility or simply got bored with the repetition of largely uninformed opinions. Perhaps unsurprisingly we also have considerable experience of owning ICE cars and Porsche in particular, which makes a direct personal comparison fairly straightforward.

I would have never have thought it couple of years back but I now see my self in catagory (a) My only experience of an EV is a golf buggy so I will have to get a propper run in a car of some sort. I doubt I would stump for the cost of a Tesla but 30k for something to cover the a to b stuff is begining to look like the sensible option as long as you've got somewhere to charge it which I have. Still likely to keep the 911 for a while yet to remind myself of the days when driving was fun.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I'm in the first camp, even having gone as far as placing a letter of interest/intent with an OPC regarding a Mission E/Taycan. However, my home set up is not ideal for home charging, so it's probably a bit too soon for me to go down the EV path. In addition, my fortnightly round trip to Kent of about 350 miles (in a day) may prove problematic. I will, however, follow the development of EVs with interest, especially the Taycan. I am open minded about EVs and will no doubt own one in due course, ideally a Porsche. Until natural power (wind, sun, tide etc) are a much bigger percentage of overall electricity produced though, I do think that EVs are more about moving pollution, as opposed to greatly reducing it. ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
VanB

Post by VanB »

I'm definitely interested in an EV and my thoughts would largely echo WingCos except that I don't have a fortnightly 350 round trip. I'm very interested in the Taycan but would probably await gen 2 so that they have addressed the almost inevitable niggles that will come with the first iteration.

In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy my twin turbo flat 6 :)
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Ray G wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:32 am

Have you perhaps forgotten

d) those that, at the moment, have no interest in EVs until there is an established platform?

Apart from that...tend to agree you !!
Group d) is probably the biggest group of all, but they don't tend to comment much, if at all, on EV threads like this as they are not on their radar at this time. It's mainly the genuinely curious and the hecklers who respond.
Deleted User 1874

Wing Commander wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:31 am Until natural power (wind, sun, tide etc) are a much bigger percentage of overall electricity produced though, I do think that EVs are more about moving pollution, as opposed to greatly reducing it. ;)
Every recent independent academic report I've read suggests EVs do in fact significantly reduce overall pollution, the main argument being by how much exactly and there is clearly a lot more potential in this respect. There is also no doubt that the oil industry has been heavily promoting false evidence of EV pollution, even manipulating independent reports that clearly support the opposite viewpoint. Much like we see with climate change denial. When large amounts of money are at stake, factual information is not always welcomed if it doesn't agree with the status quo.

But that aside, the Taycan looks like a very interesting machine regardless of its eco-credentials and nobody can seriously argue that equivalent performance ICE cars are good for the environment anyway, either on a local or macro level. We all choose to enjoy them at a cost to the environment. Potentially reducing that environmental cost for me is a welcome bonus, but I'm not going to pretend that's why I really chose to drive an EV. For me it was always about the car and its benefits for me. I'm no different to anyone else in that regard!
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

I'm in group a, and had a short test drive in a Tesla a couple of years ago. It was an accompanied drive and too short to really get a good impression, and long enough ago that the memory of it has faded somewhat! Then, as now, I was carrying my antipathy to touchscreens but regrettably will no doubt have to overcome that sometime in the future. The big draw for me is the initial torque and the acceleration that produces.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Peteski wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:34 pm But that aside, the Taycan looks like a very interesting machine regardless of its eco-credentials...

...Potentially reducing that environmental cost for me is a welcome bonus...
Agreed :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Deleted User 1874

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:42 pm I'm in group a, and had a short test drive in a Tesla a couple of years ago. It was an accompanied drive and too short to really get a good impression, and long enough ago that the memory of it has faded somewhat! Then, as now, I was carrying my antipathy to touchscreens but regrettably will no doubt have to overcome that sometime in the future. The big draw for me is the initial torque and the acceleration that produces.
No doubt the touchscreen UI is polarising today, but not really anything much to do with an EV drivetrain. The two things just happen to go hand in hand with a Tesla, but I think that's something you will have to eventually deal with regardless of your chosen powertrain. There's always the iPace if you want the benefits of an EV with a more traditional UI and I expect the Taycan will play more to the traditional market too.
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

Let’s just say that if there was an equivalent Macan to the Cayenne E Hybrid, I would jump in one tomorrow. Being able to do 20 to 30 mile round trips on electricity only, coupled with a nice sounding petrol engine for longer trips and added performance is very appealing given the enormous amount of ferrying around we do with the kids at the moment around our small market town
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0