New Taycan

The place to discuss everything else..
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

I read a report about the Taycan last night.
Its range was said to be between 300 and 310 miles, IMHO seems decent to me. It's just under the range of the Tesla S.
It went onto say that all OPC's will have charge points for customer vehicles. And that the first three years of charging will be free.
But even driving the length of the UK, will mean several stops to recharge. How long will each charge take?
When you see the amount of vehicles at petrol stations, along any journey, and convert them to vehicles at recharge stations. And a petrol fill up is 5 to 10 mins, I'm sure a lot more infrastructure needs to be in place, before electric becomes the normal mode of transport.
Possibly in years to come, the way we travel will differ.

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

TheTraveller wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:56 am I read a report about the Taycan last night.
Its range was said to be between 300 and 310 miles, IMHO seems decent to me. It's just under the range of the Tesla S.
It went onto say that all OPC's will have charge points for customer vehicles. And that the first three years of charging will be free.
But even driving the length of the UK, will mean several stops to recharge. How long will each charge take?
When you see the amount of vehicles at petrol stations, along any journey, and convert them to vehicles at recharge stations. And a petrol fill up is 5 to 10 mins, I'm sure a lot more infrastructure needs to be in place, before electric becomes the normal mode of transport.
Possibly in years to come, the way we travel will differ.
You can't compare re-charging EVs directly with re-fuelling a petrol/diesel car. Something like 90% of EV charging is done overnight at home or at a destination, with only around 10% of charging done while out on the road (during long trips outside of the normal 300 mile range). Obviously with a petrol/diesel 100% of charging is done out on the road unless you live in a petrol station. So you will never see anything like the same volume of EVs charging out on the road and certainly not during the next 20 years during the transition from ICE.

A typical roadside charge with a 120 kW charger takes around 30 mins and that will soon come down to around 15 mins with the next generation of rapid chargers >300 kW. It's not a big deal for most people.

If you are seriously thinking of buying a Taycan, the question you really need to be asking is whether or not you can charge it safely at home when parked overnight.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Here's the thing, and my thoughts won't change on this, until you can charge your EV in the same amount of time as it takes to fill a tank, and with the same convenience (that means charging locations) as the existing fuel station locations, I don't care who makes the EV, it makes no sense. The UK will not, in 10 blue moons, put in place the necessary infrastructure for that to happen. Its track record on all infrastructure, as can be seen to this very day with airports, motorways, railways, power stations, underground systems, is abysmal. The EV mainstream takeup is years and years and years away. Until then, I will listen to my twin turbo V6 with pleasure. :!:
Deleted User 1874

Here's another thing. Until you can fill your petrol tank with the same convenience I can charge my EV on a daily basis then I'm never going to consider going back. I speak from first hand experience of both worlds and I now hate the inconvenience of petrol stations.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Peteski wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:03 am Here's another thing. Until you can fill your petrol tank with the same convenience I can charge my EV on a daily basis then I'm never going to consider going back. I speak from first hand experience of both worlds and I now hate the inconvenience of petrol stations.
We get it Peteski. You love your Tesla. You love the convenience of charging it overnight in your house in your little country village. However, your post above illustrates with crystal clear clarity what the shortcomings are for those who are not in your position. Frankly, I would more than likely do the same if I were in your position, but I, together with a rather large amount, are not. But, you go on being the test bed for EVs and when they get to the point of being recharged with convenience and in an acceptable timeframe, I'll post pictures of my new toy. :lol:
Funrider

Post by Funrider »

Has anyone paid to have a charging point installed at home - how much?
Don’t know if it is subsidised by, perhaps Tesla if you buy their car?
I’d need a generic charger as we have multiple cars unless a ‘Tesla’ charger can be used in anything.. ?

In fact - I live at the end of a Wiltshire village lane, and between me and 2 neighbours we have 12 cars ( wives, kids, mistresses....)

How do we establish if the power line feed up the lane can handle multiple simultaneous charging?
I’d need at least 2 cars, prob. more, on charge every night unless I get up in middle of night to swop cables🥶🥶.
Neighbours are in a similar position.

These are probably naive questions, but millions will need to know the answers before we can confidently migrate....

(PS - how do you get certified as a leccy to (only) install home chargers....)
2016 Macan Turbo Jet Black PPF /Saddle Brown full leather/Walnut 18way heated Pano Connect +2 Surround cameras Air/PASM 21 Black Classics /20 SportDesign
2015 SD Macan sold 3yr/54k. Sapphire
Past: Mexico Mk1, 205GTI (3x),Integrale 8v, Scooby Impreza STI,
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Funrider wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:12 am Has anyone paid to have a charging point installed at home - how much?
I’d need a generic charger as we have multiple cars unless a ‘Tesla’ charger can be used in anything.. ?

In fact - I live at the end of a Wiltshire village lane, and between me and 2 neighbours we have 12 cars ( wives, kids, mistresses....)

How do we establish if the power line feed up the lane can handle multiple simultaneous charging?
I’d need at least 2 cars, prob. more, on charge every night unless I get up in middle of night to swop cables🥶🥶.

These are probably naive questions, but millions will need to know the answers before we can confidently migrate....

Your comment implies your mistresses are close by to you...in your village! Why would you do that man??? Surely you put them in other villages or towns or even countries! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Deleted User 1874

GMAN75 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:11 am
Peteski wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:03 am Here's another thing. Until you can fill your petrol tank with the same convenience I can charge my EV on a daily basis then I'm never going to consider going back. I speak from first hand experience of both worlds and I now hate the inconvenience of petrol stations.
We get it Peteski. You love your Tesla. You love the convenience of charging it overnight in your house in your little country village. However, your post above illustrates with crystal clear clarity what the shortcomings are for those who are not in your position. Frankly, I would more than likely do the same if I were in your position, but I, together with a rather large amount, are not. But, you go on being the test bed for EVs and when they get to the point of being recharged with convenience and in an acceptable timeframe, I'll post pictures of my new toy. :lol:
I totally agree, it's a split market between those who can charge an EV conveniently and those who can't. There are literally millions of people on both sides of that basic divide, yet few people who could seriously benefit from running an EV choose to do so for various reasons. For me personally it is now a no-brainer to go EV and I can't wait until there is more serious choice. A Taycan is high on my shortlist for the future, but I'm not jumping in too early on a totally new car like that as there will inevitably be a steep learning curve at the dealerships and with the charging infrastructure. Tesla have it all pretty well sorted and is still my first choice of EV at this point.
Funrider

Post by Funrider »

8-) 8-) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Have you seen my neighbour though !
2016 Macan Turbo Jet Black PPF /Saddle Brown full leather/Walnut 18way heated Pano Connect +2 Surround cameras Air/PASM 21 Black Classics /20 SportDesign
2015 SD Macan sold 3yr/54k. Sapphire
Past: Mexico Mk1, 205GTI (3x),Integrale 8v, Scooby Impreza STI,
Deleted User 1874

Funrider wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:12 am Has anyone paid to have a charging point installed at home - how much?

A wall charger is around £500 and installation cost depends a lot on the state of your current wiring, but usually straightforward if you already have a supply near the charging point. There is a grant you can get to cover most or all of the cost. In my case I got a free charger and installation via our local electricity board who were carrying out research into EV usage. So it cost nothing at all. It took an afternoon for the tech to install in my garage.

There's nothing particularly special about a wall charger, they run at 8 kW on a single phase supply and you can get whatever plugs/adaptors you need for your cars. A Tesla charger uses a "Type 2" plug which is one of the standards that many other EVs use, but not all.

Some of the latest wall chargers are smart chargers that monitor demand and reduce power if necessary to protect your local grid, so that could be an option if you have a particularly dodgy power supply with many cars charging. This is what our electricity board was testing with mine.

Best to speak to an established EV charger installer to discuss potential issues, it's not really a DIY job.