Tesla one year later...

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

GMAN75 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:31 am Peteski, genuinely curious and genuine query, if you hadn't the ability to charge the Tesla at home, or close by to your house and were reliant on charge points around where you live or on your journeys, would you have bought the car? Like I said, genuine query.
Good question indeed. If I had answered this question before I bought the Tesla I would have said definitely not. Now after owning one for a year I would be inclined to try and make it work regardless. My nearest Tesla supercharger is 10 miles up the road, so not particularly convenient to charge there daily, but a possibility and it's free as a bonus. There are some local slow charging points nearby, but it would be a pain to have to park there for hours on end and they are more expensive than home charging (still cheaper than fuel mind). In all honesty I would probably not do it or even consider moving house just to get home charging. Seriously!

There's no doubt about it that convenient home charging is what makes an EV really practical and even more convenient to use than an ICE car on a daily basis. Anyone who does have easy access to home charging should seriously consider going EV, even if they do take longer trips fairly often - although I've only experienced Tesla charging out on the road, which has been great. I even look forward to stopping for a coffee while it charges up by itself.

GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Peteski wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:47 am
GMAN75 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:31 am Peteski, genuinely curious and genuine query, if you hadn't the ability to charge the Tesla at home, or close by to your house and were reliant on charge points around where you live or on your journeys, would you have bought the car? Like I said, genuine query.
Good question indeed. If I had answered this question before I bought the Tesla I would have said definitely not. Now after owning one for a year I would be inclined to try and make it work regardless. My nearest Tesla supercharger is 10 miles up the road, so not particularly convenient to charge there daily, but a possibility and it's free as a bonus. There are some local slow charging points nearby, but it would be a pain to have to park there for hours on end and they are more expensive than home charging (still cheaper than fuel mind). In all honesty I would probably not do it or even consider moving house just to get home charging. Seriously!

There's no doubt about it that convenient home charging is what makes an EV really practical and even more convenient to use than an ICE car on a daily basis. Anyone who does have easy access to home charging should seriously consider going EV, even if they do take longer trips fairly often - although I've only experienced Tesla charging out on the road, which has been great. I even look forward to stopping for a coffee while it charges up by itself.
I think they're the guts of my frustrations. I am genuinely interested in them but for a lot of us, charging them will be an issue. That needs to come a long way before I get comfortable ponying up for one. Secondly, and I guess this will come with time as more models are available, if you want 300 miles and up, together with the appropriate performance, you're into serious money for one. I only hope we aren't purposely squeezed into that segment where real concerns still remain.
Deleted User 1874

GMAN75 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:02 pm
Peteski wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:47 am

I think they're the guts of my frustrations. I am genuinely interested in them but for a lot of us, charging them will be an issue. That needs to come a long way before I get comfortable ponying up for one. Secondly, and I guess this will come with time as more models are available, if you want 300 miles and up, together with the appropriate performance, you're into serious money for one. I only hope we aren't purposely squeezed into that segment where real concerns still remain.
Absolutely. I think you are safe with alternative choices before there is any forced move into an EV. The transition is all happening pretty slowly. Even many people who would benefit from an EV right now are still choosing to stick with what they know. Merely parking an ICE car is a bit of a challenge in many places. I was watching someone trying to shoehorn their car into a tight space in a narrow residential street the other day, deliberately "touch" parking up against both cars on either side. They were packed like sardines all the way along and it was even difficult to find a safe gap to cross the road on foot. The whole car ownership thing seems to be getting out of control, but that's another discussion all by itself!
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Slightly off OP... but relevant.
In order to cut costs Tesla is going to sell cars online-only and close its stores. They will keep few galleries to kick tyres. We can expect small price reduction!

https://www.instagram.com/elonmusknews/ ... midg2i7jfp
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Pivot wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:17 am Slightly off OP... but relevant.
In order to cut costs Tesla is going to sell cars online-only and close its stores. They will keep few galleries to kick tyres. We can expect small price reduction!

This is good news. The one in Canary Wharf is just taking up prime cake shop space!
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Deleted User 1874

Pivot wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:17 am Slightly off OP... but relevant.

They've actually just made the Performance models £40-50K cheaper!!! Seriously that is no joke. The "P" models were always over-priced, but now the £7k premium you pay over the standard model (which gives you about another 250 hp) is a no-brainer! The standard models are a little cheaper too, but the subsidised finance rates are now long gone. The referral programme also ended recently, so no more free supercharging for new buyers and expensive goodies like wall chargers and free sets of wheels/tyres. So it's swings and roundabouts if you don't feel the need to have the performance package, but a MASSIVE saving if you do go for the full Monty!

I think this is a clever way of up-selling the Performance models and a bit of a warning shot to the competition by effectively making the Ludicrous performance package a mainstream option at a very reasonable price. Be interesting to see how Porsche respond to that with Taycan pricing for the various different power levels. I expect some raised eyebrows in the boardroom.

But far more importantly, they have now fixed all the Spotify issues in the latest software release, which was by far my biggest complaint with the car :D
Fairynuff

Post by Fairynuff »

The below article suggest a £40k price drop - Peteski, can I ask, did you pay £120k+ i.e. are they really £40k less today?

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tesla/mod ... 00-cheaper
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Tesla S
£91,950 with 100D battery plus Autopilot and Self Driving package.

That is it no other Extras are listed.

Model X
£95,850 with 100D battery plus Autopilot and Self Driving Package

Other option for six are seven seats are available.

Also available for both models is a Winter tyre set at £2,600.

A long range X with Auto pilot £83, 950 which still does 0-60mph in 4.7s.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
VanB

Post by VanB »

Interestingly my wife and I have just been discussing replacing her Q5 with a model 3 or more likely a model Y if it comes out in time
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Deleted User 1874

Fairynuff wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:32 pm The below article suggest a £40k price drop - Peteski, can I ask, did you pay £120k+ i.e. are they really £40k less today?

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tesla/mod ... 00-cheaper
It's true for the P models only, see my post before yours.
I paid around £80k for a fully loaded Model X 75D a year ago. But it's on a heavily subsidised PCP at 1.5%
At that time I wouldn't have considered paying north of £130k for a P model X. It's only the P models that have seen the massive price drop and now they are only £7k more expensive than the standard model.