Tesla one year later...

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Wing Commander wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:46 pm
Peteski wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:21 pm
Rab J wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:47 pm I would have considered the Tesla X a full sized SUV. I have looked round one at some of the car shows but it wasn't untill I met one on the street a few weeks back I realised just how big they are, X5 sized, no bad thing in my book.
You are absolutely right. Think Audi Q7, Volvo XC90, X5, Cayenne, etc. Even in that class it's at the higher end of the size scale...
A new Audi Q8 drove past me as I walked home from the office this afternoon. It did look imposing & pretty smart, but how many people have really driven/sat in the huge Audi Q7 and thought “I really need something a bit bigger” !? :shock:

Edit: Just discovered Q8 is actually 66mm shorter than the Q7, but is still longer than the BMW X6. :ugeek:
Yeah the Q8 is an oddity in the naming convention. It's for those who want something big, but not quite as boxy as the Q7.

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Hence the upcoming Cayenne Coupe.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:42 pm
Peteski wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:31 pm
Dandock wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:23 pm Correction... or sorts

Model S = cargo space as above @ 804 - 1645

Apologies. I’ ve absolutely no idea where the comparative comment came from. 🤭

But the Model 3 figure is as per Tesla’s website.
We all know manufacturers are inconsistent in measuring cargo space. I think you can safely assume that the Model 3 will have at least the same, or more space than a BMW 3 series saloon. We know from the video I posted that you can get two full sized hard suitcases in there, plus 2 large hard case carry-ons with ease. I'm not confident that you would in a 3 series saloon. Maybe a 3 series estate would have an advantage, but I guess that's where the Model Y will come in.
I'm only quoting Tesla! ;) You'd think they might talk up their product. :o
There have always been conflicting standard of measurement, to the point where you have to go off practical measurements by owners and indepedent reviews. This is an old article but it gives you an idea of the issues:-

https://www.cars.com/articles/2014/03/w ... the-truth/

"Six of the seven automakers we contacted use four different versions of the standard. The seventh automaker, Nissan, did not respond to our queries."

What we do know for certain is that the Model 3 is slightly bigger in every external dimension and doesn't have an engine or large fuel tank getting in the way of cabin space. One US review site quotes a boot space of 15 vs 13 cubic feet in favour of the Model 3.
Last edited by Deleted User 1874 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

SAC1 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:56 pm Hence the upcoming Cayenne Coupe.
Yep. These motor manufacturers are becoming masters at finding a niche within a niche! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:59 pm
Peteski wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:31 pm

We all know manufacturers are inconsistent in measuring cargo space. I think you can safely assume that the Model 3 will have at least the same, or more space than a BMW 3 series saloon. We know from the video I posted that you can get two full sized hard suitcases in there, plus 2 large hard case carry-ons with ease. I'm not confident that you would in a 3 series saloon. Maybe a 3 series estate would have an advantage, but I guess that's where the Model Y will come in.
There have always been conflicting standard of measurement, to the point where you have to go off practical measurements by owners and indepedent reviews. This is an old article but it gives you an idea of the issues:-

"Six of the seven automakers we contacted use four different versions of the standard. The seventh automaker, Nissan, did not respond to our queries."

What we do know for certain is that the Model 3 is slightly bigger in every external dimension and doesn't have an engine or large fuel tank getting in the way of cabin space. One US review site quotes a boot space of 15 vs 13 cubic feet in favour of the Model 3.
15 is the official Tesla figure.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Dandock wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:33 pm
Peteski wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:59 pm

15 is the official Tesla figure.
So maybe it's BMW BSing then?
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

Peteski wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:41 pm
gtipirelli wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:25 pm I thought the model X was an MPV not a SUV.

SUV’s have a certain amount of ground clearance that allows them to go off-road and wade water to a certain depth where as the X looks like a competitor to the S Max and equivalent cars. Or am I missing something
True, it's not really a true off-road SUV, but you can crank up the ride height sky high if you want and the 4 wheel drive is very capable. It can certainly wade through water as well as any comparable SUV and doesn't have any issues choking. The batteries are all completely waterproof. It coped pretty well with this off-road trip:-

Tesla-Bjorn pushed it a bit too far here!

Was not aware of that, I suppose it has both the SUV and MPV boxes ticked
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
pmg

Post by pmg »

Tesla reverse some of the store closures!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47521940

They do seem to have a very volatile decision-making procedure.

What this article brought home to me is the large pricing gap between 3 and S, way larger than say BMW between 3 and 5 series and Merc between C and E ranges
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Deleted User 1874

pmg wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:06 am What this article brought home to me is the large pricing gap between 3 and S, way larger than say BMW between 3 and 5 series and Merc between C and E ranges
What this article brought home to me is not to believe every "fact" you read in the news. That price comparison is BS. While the Model 3 does now start at $35k in the US for the bear bones base model, the mid range models are around $50k and the top models go well over $70k fully loaded. A top level Model 3 is not much difference in price from a base Model S.

So this is just typical sloppy journalism. The reporter probably spent about 10 seconds on research.

When the Model 3 comes over here, you can pretty much substitute $ for £ directly because of the tax etc, so the price range will actually be £35-70k+ in real life.
Deleted User 1874

Let me help the BBC out here with this graph.

So for a start they've converted $ to £ for the Model 3 and not added any UK VAT, duty or shipping. And they seem to have totally forgotten about the higher end model 3 options too. So for an apples vs apples comparison the Model 3 price range should really be £35-70k and then it will make some sense.