Tesla one year later...

The place to discuss everything else..
pmg

Post by pmg »

johnd wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:49 am And now the Model Y launch:

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... cs-details

As Autocar says, few surprises - it's a jacked-up Model 3 (but none the worse for that) and completes the Tesla S3XY 4-model line-up, for now at least.
Definitely, their Macan competitor size and looks wise. More of a coupe shape than I expected. Crucial to purchase by me would be the expansion of their supercharger network away from just the main UK network to the rural extremities of the UK. there are signs this process could be starting looking at forthcoming sites on their website.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8

Guy

Post by Guy »

It's got a strange flat area at the front - is that for people to paint a radiator on? :lol:

And looks a bit like a Prius from the back, IMO :roll:
pmg

Post by pmg »

from their website

https://www.tesla.com/modely

What I do not see is the claimed capacity of 7 adults. No actual dimensions or picture with all seats in place. There just does not appear to be enough rear headroom to take 2 adults in a 3rd row of seats
Guy

Post by Guy »

pmg wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:57 am What I do not see is the claimed capacity of 7 adults. No actual dimensions or picture with all seats in place. There just does not appear to be enough rear headroom to take 2 adults in a 3rd row of seats
If you wait for the 'Utility' picture to pan out, you can see the hinges at the rear of the third seat row, and the seatbelt mountings at the rear of the C-pillar. Perhaps the seat bases are just very low down to give the headroom?
VanB

Post by VanB »

I would have thought you woud go for a Model X if you wanted 7 seats.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Guy

Post by Guy »

VanB wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:07 am I would have thought you woud go for a Model X if you wanted 7 seats.
Yes, but the Model X doesn't fit in a standard UK parking space, let alone any of the roads in this part of the world!
VanB

Post by VanB »

Most cars don't fit in a standard UK parking space!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
pmg

Post by pmg »

Guy wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:03 am
pmg wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:57 am What I do not see is the claimed capacity of 7 adults. No actual dimensions or picture with all seats in place. There just does not appear to be enough rear headroom to take 2 adults in a 3rd row of seats
If you wait for the 'Utility' picture to pan out, you can see the hinges at the rear of the third seat row, and the seatbelt mountings at the rear of the C-pillar. Perhaps the seat bases are just very low down to give the headroom?
You could well be right, but then it must be a fairly uncomfortable place/angle to sit unless you are a Californian who does extreme yoga daily.

However, is not that low point in the 3rd row where some of the batteries are and the rear electric motor. Most EV manufacturers give a picture showing their position but I cannot see such here.
Last edited by pmg on Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guy

Post by Guy »

VanB wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:17 am Most cars don't fit in a standard UK parking space!
The Macan does, but I wouldn't use one!
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Stirring the pot... I think the launch is typically Musk 1) a cash-raising tactic and 2) a distraction.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀