Tesla one year later...

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

I can't believe I've already had my Tesla Model X for a whole year!

17K miles, one routine annual service, no major problems.

The good:-

1. EV drivetrain performance. Effortless and smooth. A complete game-changer.
2. Interior tech that doesn't feel like something out of the mid 90s. Great that it updates automatically too.
3. Low running costs
4. No visiting petrol stations
5. Massive interior and luggage space.
6. Falcon wing doors -surprisingly effective with small kids
7. Autopilot - makes all motorway driving and traffic jams a breeze. Even works pretty well on A-roads. Much more useful than I expected.
8. Panoramic windscreen - way more effective than a pano-roof from the driver's seat and I would now seriously miss this unique feature.
9. Remote access for heating/cooling cabin. Priceless in both summer and winter.
10. The enormous HEPA air filter. Really does keep all the smells out!
11. Great customer service from our local service centre. They fitted a brand new tyre FOC after I picked up a nail in one in the first 500 miles. Loan cars are always Tesla S or X models too.

The not so good:-

1. Ride quality is not the best for a large SUV, but it does handle pretty well. I would actually prefer a more compromised softer setup in this type of family car. Ride is on the edge of being a bit too harsh sometimes. A bit odd because the Model S has very good ride comfort.
2. Some of the panel gaps were a bit iffy, but okay once the boot lid and rear passenger door shuts were adjusted. Basically poor PDI

The bad:-

1. Too many ongoing issues with the built-in Spotify app crashing - spoils what would otherwise be a near perfect UI and media system.
2. ?? struggling to think of any other issues.

Faults:-

1. 5K miles. Tailgate sensor issue (suddenly refused to close automatically every time). Fixed while I waited.
2. 15K miles. Something came loose and started buzzing near the front driver's door speaker. In service now to be fixed.
3. Spotify app crashing (as mentioned in the bad)

Verdict:-

A genuine game-changing experience and that's me finished for ICE cars. I thought Tesla was a big risk going in, but now I would be comfortable ordering another one and probably will this year (Model 3 as a second car).

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Thanks for the report Peteski. Lots of positives and few negatives. Is your experience reflected by others generally on the Tesla fora?

Re the ride comfort, what size wheels does yours have?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Glad you are enjoying the onwnership.

Many thanks for a balanced report.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Steve

nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

Used to have that problem with my Exige in winter; couldn't get into it after work, a right pita!
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Deleted User 1874

SAC1 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:22 pm Not all good news then..... :o
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-02- ... c-vehicles
Can't say I've had any issues at all with winter weather in my Model X, but it has a totally different door handle design to the Model 3. For me the pros of running an EV in freezing conditions far outweigh any downsides. Remote cabin pre-heating, no engine warm-up, hi-res traction control with independent motors on each axle. It's all good. Only genuine downside is a significant loss of range (say 25% in the worst UK conditions), which may or may not be important depending on your circumstances, but it has no consequence for me. It's a great winter car for everyday commuting with non of the issues and inconvenience you get with ICE cars, especially diesel.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Peteski wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:37 pm I can't believe I've already had my Tesla Model X for a whole year!

17K miles, one routine annual service, no major problems.

The good:-

1. EV drivetrain performance. Effortless and smooth. A complete game-changer.
2. Interior tech that doesn't feel like something out of the mid 90s. Great that it updates automatically too.
3. Low running costs
4. No visiting petrol stations
5. Massive interior and luggage space.
6. Falcon wing doors -surprisingly effective with small kids
7. Autopilot - makes all motorway driving and traffic jams a breeze. Even works pretty well on A-roads. Much more useful than I expected.
8. Panoramic windscreen - way more effective than a pano-roof from the driver's seat and I would now seriously miss this unique feature.
9. Remote access for heating/cooling cabin. Priceless in both summer and winter.
10. The enormous HEPA air filter. Really does keep all the smells out!
11. Great customer service from our local service centre. They fitted a brand new tyre FOC after I picked up a nail in one in the first 500 miles. Loan cars are always Tesla S or X models too.

The not so good:-

1. Ride quality is not the best for a large SUV, but it does handle pretty well. I would actually prefer a more compromised softer setup in this type of family car. Ride is on the edge of being a bit too harsh sometimes. A bit odd because the Model S has very good ride comfort.
2. Some of the panel gaps were a bit iffy, but okay once the boot lid and rear passenger door shuts were adjusted. Basically poor PDI

The bad:-

1. Too many ongoing issues with the built-in Spotify app crashing - spoils what would otherwise be a near perfect UI and media system.
2. ?? struggling to think of any other issues.

Faults:-

1. 5K miles. Tailgate sensor issue (suddenly refused to close automatically every time). Fixed while I waited.
2. 15K miles. Something came loose and started buzzing near the front driver's door speaker. In service now to be fixed.
3. Spotify app crashing (as mentioned in the bad)

Verdict:-

A genuine game-changing experience and that's me finished for ICE cars. I thought Tesla was a big risk going in, but now I would be comfortable ordering another one and probably will this year (Model 3 as a second car).
Why don't you like petrol stations?! I find them a bountiful source of hard to find chocolate.
Deleted User 1874

GMAN75 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:43 pm Why don't you like petrol stations?! I find them a bountiful source of hard to find chocolate.
Well I do miss the M&S food but still occasionally drop in for a fix!
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Peteski wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:57 pm
SAC1 wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:22 pm Not all good news then..... :o
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-02- ... c-vehicles
Can't say I've had any issues at all with winter weather in my Model X, but it has a totally different door handle design to the Model 3. For me the pros of running an EV in freezing conditions far outweigh any downsides. Remote cabin pre-heating, no engine warm-up, hi-res traction control with independent motors on each axle. It's all good. Only genuine downside is a significant loss of range (say 25% in the worst UK conditions), which may or may not be important depending on your circumstances, but it has no consequence for me. It's a great winter car for everyday commuting with non of the issues and inconvenience you get with ICE cars, especially diesel.
Absolutely no issues with my SD. Heated seats with Alcantara mean they are warm quickly. Max front screen heating soon disperses the ice and ditto for heated rear screen. Air con soon gets cabin up to a toasty heat too.

As to visiting fuel stations, I fill the 75 litre tank and pay via BP App in 7 minutes and that lasts for 500+ miles. No messing around (literally) with plugging it in every week.

Lovely creamy smooth 6-cylinder engine that purrs along and quietly. I saw 48 mpg on a recent -1C trip. That's some 20% better in this winter weather than my average.
Steve