Tesla one year later...

The place to discuss everything else..
gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

Peteski, I am very interested to hear genuine owner updates on a car and drive platform that Porsche will no doubt start to compete with

What sort of mileage do you do on each journey to rack up 17k in a year. Is it mainly journeys of 100 miles or less with the odd longer trips ?

I would jump in to a Macan tomorrow if it had the ability to do 30 or so miles on electric only and then use the electric motor to power an ICE on longer trips and for extra performance. Not sure if I am ready for a full electric family car yet but your owner experience certainly helps me start to get my head around it

Thanks
Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0

Pivot

Post by Pivot »

I personally enjoy Peteski notes, often contrarian, which adds flavour to this forum.
EVs are coming... it’s good to be informed by first hand owners, rather than propaganda (aka PR) dept.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
VanB

Post by VanB »

Pivot wrote:I personally enjoy Peteski notes, often contrarian, which adds flavour to this forum.
EVs are coming... it’s good to be informed by first hand owners, rather than propaganda (aka PR) dept.
Totally agree with this. I was very sceptical of Peteski’s evangelism to start with but he has really changed my perception of the practicalities of a BEV. Not sure I am yet ready to move from a Porsche to a Tesla but I am hugely interested to see how the Taycan shapes up.

Peteski’s posts are always well balanced and considered based on real life experience. Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

gtipirelli wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:16 pm Peteski, I am very interested to hear genuine owner updates on a car and drive platform that Porsche will no doubt start to compete with

What sort of mileage do you do on each journey to rack up 17k in a year. Is it mainly journeys of 100 miles or less with the odd longer trips ?

I would jump in to a Macan tomorrow if it had the ability to do 30 or so miles on electric only and then use the electric motor to power an ICE on longer trips and for extra performance. Not sure if I am ready for a full electric family car yet but your owner experience certainly helps me start to get my head around it

Thanks
Most of my mileage is local which really suits an EV. I'm out and about quite often during the day, but rarely away from home so charging is never an issue. I have done a few longer distance trips in the Tesla and made use of the supercharging network and that has been a good experience too. I have never had to use a public charging station yet.

Before I got the Tesla I did have an extended test drive in a Volvo XC90 T8 hybrid, which was supposed to have around 25 miles electric range, but in practice I blew through it in about 10 miles on our rural roads. Maybe it would work better in a town/city environment, but not on the open roads I drive. Going from that to a Tesla full EV was a major revelation. Suddenly I found that I had 200 miles electric range (with the base 75 kWh battery), more power, more torque and a much smoother drivetrain. Ultimate range is obviously limited compared to ICE or PHEV, but that hasn't caused me any issues personally.

I think hybrids would work better (or at least be more versatile) if the split between ICE and electric power was a little more balanced. For example the Volvo has 303 hp ICE + 87 hp electric, so it's really an ICE vehicle with an electric boost or crawl mode EV.
Deleted User 1874

VanB wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:25 am
Pivot wrote:I personally enjoy Peteski notes, often contrarian, which adds flavour to this forum.
Totally agree with this. I was very sceptical of Peteski’s evangelism to start with but he has really changed my perception of the practicalities of a BEV. Not sure I am yet ready to move from a Porsche to a Tesla but I am hugely interested to see how the Taycan shapes up.

Peteski’s posts are always well balanced and considered based on real life experience. Great job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers! I do quite like these discussions and I'm old enough to be able to tell the difference between those who are genuinely curious, sceptical, simply uninformed, ignorant or just downright bitter and twisted! Fortunately there are very few of the latter on this forum, but sadly quite a few out in the wider world of the internet.

When I got the Tesla I wondered if I would get any real life abuse while out and about in it, but I've been pleasantly surprised. It certainly attracts a lot of interest, but it's always been very positive - everything from mothers literally coming over with their kids to take a look inside (that's happened several times now, not even a one off!) to random people saying how they've always wanted to see a Tesla close up. I guess the novelty factor is still very high. The internet Tesla trolls obviously don't get out quite so much :lol:

The only slight downside is the number of boy racers it attracts like flies to poop. It's like they are either on some mission to prove that EVs are slower or perhaps just curious to see how fast they actually are. I try to ignore them, but often I just can't help myself! Probably best I didn't get a P100D in hindsight.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

VanB: "Peteski's evangelism" and "Peteski's posts are always well balanced" - some small contradiction there!
But that's ok. Once you learn to separate the fact from opinion, there's some really useful first-hand information. Thanks Peteski - I join others in appreciation.
It's just odd and more than a little amusing to see so much of it it on a Macan forum!
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

goron59 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:05 am
It's just odd and more than a little amusing to see so much of it it on a Macan forum!
Ditto 911. ;)
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

goron59 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:05 am VanB: "Peteski's evangelism" and "Peteski's posts are always well balanced" - some small contradiction there!
But that's ok. Once you learn to separate the fact from opinion, there's some really useful first-hand information. Thanks Peteski - I join others in appreciation.
I agree it's weird how this all comes up on a Macan forum! As I said, it is right here that I first read about somebody looking at a Tesla and thought I'd pop into our local showroom to see what all the fuss was about. Some of you might have noticed that I rarely start EV threads myself (this thread excepted of course), I usually just dive in whenever one pops up, which is pretty often! Probably a sign of growing EV curiosity and a few EV trolls lurking about!

Actually goron, if I'm not very much mistaken, I think it might have been a thread that you started about the Volvo XC60/90 hybrid that got me thinking about going hybrid or electric in the first place!
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Peteski wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:15 am
goron59 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:05 am VanB: "Peteski's evangelism" and "Peteski's posts are always well balanced" - some small contradiction there!
I agree it's weird how this all comes up on a Macan forum! As I said, it is right here that I first read about somebody looking at a Tesla and thought I'd pop into our local showroom to see what all the fuss was about. Some of you might have noticed that I rarely start EV threads myself (this thread excepted of course), I usually just dive in whenever one pops up, which is pretty often! Probably a sign of growing EV curiosity and a few EV trolls lurking about!

Actually goron, if I'm not very much mistaken, I think it might have been a thread that you started about the Volvo XC60/90 hybrid that got me thinking about going hybrid or electric in the first place!
Peteski, genuinely curious and genuine query, if you hadn't the ability to charge the Tesla at home, or close by to your house and were reliant on charge points around where you live or on your journeys, would you have bought the car? Like I said, genuine query.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

GMAN75 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:31 am
Peteski wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:15 am
goron59 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:05 am

Peteski, genuinely curious and genuine query, if you hadn't the ability to charge the Tesla at home, or close by to your house and were reliant on charge points around where you live or on your journeys, would you have bought the car? Like I said, genuine query.
Good question.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀