BMW v Porsche

The place to discuss everything else..
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Look, I know this is a Macan forum but the SUV world is expanding before our very eyes!

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/first- ... 9ZL3qJw9-4

FWIW, that X3M looks the absolute business. The X4 looks like it has taken a few rounds with Lord Ugly and there is no way I could ever see that as a success. However, if we're looking at performance benchmarking, BMW is setting the bar quite high here!

I'll see myself out now...

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

A bit overkill for the school run, but no doubt interesting. I still find this kind of performance in an SUV a bit pointless, especially when you end up with single digit fuel consumption on your daily blast, but I'm sure nobody will care much about that.

But the thing I really can't get over with BMWs is their stubborn insistence on fitting a 90's dashboard with radio preset buttons. I drove a new 3 series last year and it was hard to tell the dash apart from the last one I had in 2002. Then there's the awful iDrive to contend with.

So it's a no from me ;)
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Peteski wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:27 am A bit overkill for the school run, but no doubt interesting. I still find this kind of performance in an SUV a bit pointless, especially when you end up with single digit fuel consumption on your daily blast, but I'm sure nobody will care much about that.

But the thing I really can't get over with BMWs is their stubborn insistence on fitting a 90's dashboard with radio preset buttons. I drove a new 3 series last year and it was hard to tell the dash apart from the last one I had in 2002. Then there's the awful iDrive to contend with.

So it's a no from me ;)
I thought iDrive had improved a lot - I had a go in the M2 before my missus insisted we needed more space :( . But, if the kiddies get to experience 0-60 in 4s on the school run, can't be that bad! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

X3M looks ok, but starting at £77,070 in the UK, I'd definitely opt for a Macan instead, if I was back in the market for a sporty mid-size SUV.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
pmg

Post by pmg »

An X3 these days is a very big car even cf original X5. After 5 consecutive BMW's I chose Macan S over M40i X3 due to being slightly smaller, history of better value retention, availability of Air suspension and more tyre/wheel choice.

I looked at an X4 but no smaller and the coupe design/ lower stance made the back seat entry very awkward due to the position of the door in relation to seat.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Deleted User 1874

GMAN75 wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:33 am
Peteski wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:27 am A bit overkill for the school run, but no doubt interesting. I still find this kind of performance in an SUV a bit pointless, especially when you end up with single digit fuel consumption on your daily blast, but I'm sure nobody will care much about that.

So it's a no from me ;)
I thought iDrive had improved a lot - I had a go in the M2 before my missus insisted we needed more space :( . But, if the kiddies get to experience 0-60 in 4s on the school run, can't be that bad! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last iDrive I experienced first hand for any prolonged length of time was in a brand new at the time 535i about 3 years ago and it was a nightmare to use - totally and utterly unintuitive and fiddly. I had the car for a whole month too, so plenty of time to get used to it. Maybe it is better now, but it seriously needed to be! The iDrive in the 3 series I drove last year wasn't an obvious improvement although I only used it very briefly. Going from that to a Tesla was like time warping forward a couple of decades, honestly.
Deleted User 1874

pmg wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:54 am An X3 these days is a very big car even cf original X5. After 5 consecutive BMW's I chose Macan S over M40i X3 due to being slightly smaller, history of better value retention, availability of Air suspension and more tyre/wheel choice.

I looked at an X4 but no smaller and the coupe design/ lower stance made the back seat entry very awkward due to the position of the door in relation to seat.
This reminds me I saw a new X5 parked right next to a Macan the other day and I was shocked at the size difference. The X3 must sit somewhere in the middle I guess.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

BMW pricing has got silly. Seems they stick a silly list price on a car then discount it by 20%. Does that excite people they have got a supposed 80k car for 64k and therefore feel they have a bargain. It’s then worth another 20k less in a year.

Saw a new X5 M50d in my local dealers window recently, over 100k with options which is mental. Or the unused pre reg I8s listing at 110k for 65k with zero miles.
Deleted User 1874

MCDK wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:22 pm Or the unused pre reg I8s listing at 110k for 65k with zero miles.
I must admit, I've been tempted by those a few times and seems they're getting cheaper by the day!
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Looks like the designer of the dash took all of 1/2 late Friday afternoon to do their part in the design.

BMW seem to have an evolution system that works and they will be damned if they are going to go radical.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags