BMW v Porsche

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

pmg wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:13 pm With the lack of full support in the rural UK for the charging of pure Ev's, I prefer the approach of the I8. Unfortunately, I struggle to get in or more particularly out of one. And unfortunately BMW has dropped the range extender option from the I3, the car I can get in and out of!!
I think part of the problem is the stigma of its small 3-cylinder engine. Ultimately it's really not a very impressive drivetrain, which is what buyers of cars that look like this are generally looking for. Personally I would be tempted to give it a go at a bargain price as I can see the potential of the chassis and the power is enough for real life driving. The novelty factor is high and it would actually be quite practical for a short commute. But paying anything like full retail for one would be out of the question for me. The depreciation would be truly horrific.

Pivot

Post by Pivot »

I have driven an i8 a year ago and I personally think that electric motor + 3-cyl 1500ccm engine is a great hybrid combination. It goes like Pershing Missile and has decent range.
That is until 4x EVs become widely available [emoji38]
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

I looked at an i8 in a showroom. Didn't try to get in as I knew I would have to buy it on the basis that I likely won't have been able to get out of it again.
Deleted User 1874

Pivot wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:35 pm I have driven an i8 a year ago and I personally think that electric motor + 3-cyl 1500ccm engine is a great hybrid combination. It goes like Pershing Missile and has decent range.
That is until 4x EVs become widely available [emoji38]
But for all its performance it's already pretty lethargic by current EV benchmarks. Even a base Tesla Model S 75D is quicker in real world tests, never mind the Tesla performance models or the Taycan. It may have decent range, but only in ICE mode and is nowhere near as energy efficient as a full EV.

I still like it though and at the rock bottom prices they currently seem to sell for it's not bad value. I have been tempted to get one over the past year, but I'm thinking a Model 3P will be cheaper, a lot more practical and frankly a lot faster! Then there's the Taycan that might actually justify the sort of retail price the i8 was originally aimed at. Again the EV performance is going to be on another level to the i8.
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Peteski wrote: But for all its performance it's already pretty lethargic by current EV benchmarks. Even a base Tesla Model S 75D is quicker in real world tests, never mind the Tesla performance models or the Taycan. It may have decent range, but only in ICE mode and is nowhere near as energy efficient as a full EV.

I still like it though and at the rock bottom prices they currently seem to sell for it's not bad value. I have been tempted to get one over the past year, but I'm thinking a Model 3P will be cheaper, a lot more practical and frankly a lot faster! Then there's the Taycan that might actually justify the sort of retail price the i8 was originally aimed at. Again the EV performance is going to be on another level to the i8.
You are probably right, if you have access to chargers where you live/work/operate.
Hybrid is a compromise and transition architecture, to get people shifting their prefs. i8 might not be faster than Tesla, but it’s still very quick and targeted at a different market.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Deleted User 1874

Pivot wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:23 pm
Hybrid is a compromise and transition architecture, to get people shifting their prefs. i8 might not be faster than Tesla, but it’s still very quick and targeted at a different market.
I agree, but unfortunately the market the i8 is aimed at is even more niche ie. supercar buyers looking to spend well north of £100k on a semi-eco friendly supercar with skinny tyres and a 3-pot mini engine. But I think it looks amazing and I could easily be talked into one at £65k for a pre-reg if that's really what they are going for these days.

A quick search shows Sytner selling one for £63k with 300 miles on the clock and another for £60k with just under 2k miles. Looking at the price of older examples that looks very reasonable indeed!