Another one bites the dust. Honda closing Swindon

The place to discuss everything else..
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Pivot wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:45 am Wow! This petition is gaining momentum, as people now see the unintended consequences:
When it gets to more than 17.5 Million give us a call 8-)
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25

TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Miopyk wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:20 am
Pivot wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:45 am Wow! This petition is gaining momentum, as people now see the unintended consequences:
I wonder how many of these voted to remain. And they were the losers of the referendum. Democracy works well when it go's the way the voters intended.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

For all you "leave" voters, for whatever the hell that actually means, I sincerely hope you get what you voted for. Truly. I work in financial services, an industry which makes up a fair share of the UK's GDP and generates taxation revenue that swamps anything else. 1 bank I work with, just 1 bank, has shifted over £100b to Europe. All the tradeflow, all the revenue that generates and all the tax that generates, now belongs to Europe. That's 1 bank.

You glibly go on about voting to leave as though it's a chest thumping joke. What you've done is actually far worse. You have no idea and if you had no idea you should have thought harder rather than show your ignorance publicly. You should be ashamed of what you've levied on this country for your unicorn ideals. Idiots.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

GMAN75 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:48 am
For all you "leave" voters, for whatever the hell that actually means, I sincerely hope you get what you voted for. Truly. I work in financial services, an industry which makes up a fair share of the UK's GDP and generates taxation revenue that swamps anything else. 1 bank I work with, just 1 bank, has shifted over £100b to Europe. All the tradeflow, all the revenue that generates and all the tax that generates, now belongs to Europe. That's 1 bank.

You glibly go on about voting to leave as though it's a chest thumping joke. What you've done is actually far worse. You have no idea and if you had no idea you should have thought harder rather than show your ignorance publicly. You should be ashamed of what you've levied on this country for your unicorn ideals. Idiots.
+1 Can anybody truly believe that this or any complex issue can be resolved by a binary question.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

London is/was the financial capital of Europe... London generates ~25% of UK GDP... paying massive taxes to support less fortunate regions. Why would you want to lose that status, the revenues, the taxes... mind boggles.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
davewf

Post by davewf »

Don't forget that Japan has signed a free trade deal with the EU and Japanese cars no longer have tariffs on them. The Japanese factories are running under capacity so it just doesn't make sense to manufacture in Europe any more. I believe there is also a plant in mainland Europe that is being closed as well.

Now if we look at Airbus , guess where they are relocating wing production to? USA or China that will shorten supply chains NOT so they are conveniently using Brexit to cover that one up. USA and China so they can claim more local content, not that Airbus needs any help on that looking at how Boeing are self destructing with poor engineering, started with the Dreamliner now the 737 Max.

I'm not being political because I am past the point of caring what happens with Brexit as long as something happens one way or the other without years of drawn out debate that's masking other important stuff the politicians need to get on with.
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

14 million voted to remain in the referendum. I don't see why anyone is surprised that 3.5 million people have signed a petition to revoke article 50 (apart from why the number is low).
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
johnd

Post by johnd »

CharlesElliott wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:56 am 14 million voted to remain in the referendum.
Just in the interests of accuracy, the remain vote was 16.14 millions. And of course (a number equivalent to) the leave majority has now died and been replaced by new voters whose opinion we have no real clue about. So any leave decision from 3 years ago is supported by just 1 in 3 of those now alive.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

We live in a democracy, the majority voted to leave, its Parliaments responsibility to make that happen. The fact that the current government has completely screwed this up and the opposition is even more incompetent has got us to a position where no one really knows what the outcome is going to be. That is not the fault of the people that voted to leave it is the fault of the politicians who put party politics and personal views ahead of the those of the populous.

It seems that people are equally able to jump to conclusions and be insulting regardless of how they voted or their personal views.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
johnd

Post by johnd »

Miopyk wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:43 pm That is not the fault of the people that voted to leave it is the fault of the politicians who put party politics and personal views ahead of the those of the populous.
Agreed. Of course it isn't the fault of the people that voted to leave (or any other section of the electorate). But if we're seeking to apportion blame IMO it's ultimately Cameron's fault (no matter how nice a bloke he might be and no doubt egged on by Osborne, but Cameron was the boss) for deciding to hold a referendum on such a complex issue and without any real attempt to define what leave meant from the myriad of options.

I'm actually not against referendums per se, but they have to about straightforward issues that everyone can reach a decision about from their own life experience, eg should the voting or driving or alcohol/gambling age be lowered/raised or even around the death penalty (much though I suspect that I would personally disagree with the result). But Brexit is absolutely the wrong sort of issue for a referendum.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly