No Deal Brexit - driving to Europe

The place to discuss everything else..
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Just got this from my insurer (Efalump)
As your current motor insurance provider, we would like to highlight the possible impact of a no deal Brexit on your car insurance policy. If you intend to take your vehicle outside the UK after 29th March 2019 you will require a Green Card.

What is a Green Card?
A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance which proves that your UK Motor insurance policy provides you with the minimum compulsory insurance cover required by the law of the country you’re visiting.

In addition to the basic cover the Green Card gives you, we will also match all the additional benefits of your policy for up to 90 days in the countries listed below.

Elephant will be able to provide you with a Green Card at no extra cost, but you must contact us before you travel to request one. A Green Card will not be issued to Elephant customers automatically, and you may not be granted entry to a country outside the UK without one.
Please note we require at least 14 days’ notice to process your request.

Where will your policy cover you after March 29th?
Once we have issued you with a Green Card, your policy will cover you when driving in the following areas after 29th March:
• Countries in the European Union (EU)
• Countries in the European Economic Area (EEA)
• Switzerland
• Andorra
• Serbia
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Not had anything through yet myself, but assume this is being prepared. Thanks for the heads-up.
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Also to change your number plates from this

Capture.PNG

to this

Capture 2.PNG

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Anyone driving a UK registered vehicle into Europe post Brexit, especially via some volatile bits of France, has more guts than me! Anyone driving a valuable car into said areas has even more intestinal fortitude. I suspect there will be an increase in requests on this site for recommended body repair shops!
Paul

Post by Paul »

I also read that we’ll all need an international driving permit (from the Post Office valid 3 yrs for a fiver! You’ll need the 1949 version for Spain, but France will need the 1968 version........😳😳)

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/internatio ... ing-permit
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Paul

Post by Paul »

GMAN75 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:14 am Anyone driving a UK registered vehicle into Europe post Brexit, especially via some volatile bits of France, has more guts than me! Anyone driving a valuable car into said areas has even more intestinal fortitude. I suspect there will be an increase in requests on this site for recommended body repair shops!
??

Don’t see why?

Most of the general population (of France specifically in my own personal experience) don’t really know or care about Brexit and are vagually neutral about Europe at best.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Paul wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:53 am
GMAN75 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:14 am Anyone driving a UK registered vehicle into Europe post Brexit, especially via some volatile bits of France, has more guts than me! Anyone driving a valuable car into said areas has even more intestinal fortitude. I suspect there will be an increase in requests on this site for recommended body repair shops!
??

Don’t see why?

Most of the general population (of France specifically in my own personal experience) don’t really know or care about Brexit and are vagually neutral about Europe at best.
+1 what Paul says.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

And we may all need a visa @ £52/year thanks to our amigos in Madrid.

+1 re ambivalence of most Europeans - particularly the French who inherently detest all politicians, the Italians, who just hate Brussels, and the Catalans who loath Madrid and all it stands for. ;)
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Most Europeans like Britons, just like most Brits like other Europeans. We make jokes, laugh at stereotypes and every country has few idiots, but we shouldn’t allow anyone to polarise the society and start conflict!
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Orangebulldog

Post by Orangebulldog »

Pivot wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:00 pm Most Europeans like Britons, just like most Brits like other Europeans. We make jokes, laugh at stereotypes and every country has few idiots, but we shouldn’t allow anyone to polarise the society and start conflict!
👍