2022 E-Macan?

The place to discuss everything else..
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

Not sure if this was posted here before - apologies if so. I found this an interesting read as to how the SUV lineup is going to look.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/2022-porsc ... far/n18552

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

An E Macan in 2022 is what my SE told me me on Monday. But £70K+ - say at least another £10-£12K - is going to be far too much for me. Audi Q3 size e-tron?
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
wizzzard

Post by wizzzard »

Agreed on the £70k+ price-tag - its prohibitive - although it does look great. I would probably consider one when prices drop a little. The Audi eTron and the MB EQ look interesting. May not have the same character as the Macan variant but will probably be a lot cheaper.

Off-topic but... Is the whole no-grill look going to be consistent across all e-vehicles? I can understand it improves aerodynamics but they're all beginning to look somewhat similar. The grill and light formation always gave cars character in my head. I wonder if there's anything that can replace the grills to do the same for e-cars.
Jet Black GTS | 21" Sport Classics Gloss Black | PanRoof | Air Suspension + PASM | Pebble Grey Interior | Sport Design Mirrors | PDLS+ | Light Comfort | Bose | PS+
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

wizzzard wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:33 pm Agreed on the £70k+ price-tag - its prohibitive - although it does look great. I would probably consider one when prices drop a little. The Audi eTron and the MB EQ look interesting. May not have the same character as the Macan variant but will probably be a lot cheaper.

Off-topic but... Is the whole no-grill look going to be consistent across all e-vehicles? I can understand it improves aerodynamics but they're all beginning to look somewhat similar. The grill and light formation always gave cars character in my head. I wonder if there's anything that can replace the grills to do the same for e-cars.
I am not sure that the render is in any way accurate. I tend to think that whatever e-SUV is released, it will take its styling cues from the Cross Turismo. You may just see a beefier version of that rather than what you see on the link.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

wizzzard wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:33 pm Off-topic but... Is the whole no-grill look going to be consistent across all e-vehicles? I can understand it improves aerodynamics but they're all beginning to look somewhat similar. The grill and light formation always gave cars character in my head. I wonder if there's anything that can replace the grills to do the same for e-cars.
Audi and Jaguar seem to have simply ignored that and just fitted a front grille anyway. I know what you mean about creating a unique character with a front "face" but I'm sure designers will think of something. You can still have fancy headlights and a subtle intake grille. I'm not that keen on the trend of oversized "willy waving" grilles anyway, especially on SUVs.
Deleted User 1874

GMAN75 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:42 pm
wizzzard wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:33 pm Agreed on the £70k+ price-tag - its prohibitive - although it does look great. I would probably consider one when prices drop a little. The Audi eTron and the MB EQ look interesting. May not have the same character as the Macan variant but will probably be a lot cheaper.

I am not sure that the render is in any way accurate. I tend to think that whatever e-SUV is released, it will take its styling cues from the Cross Turismo. You may just see a beefier version of that rather than what you see on the link.
I was thinking the same. That looks like a normal Macan with a bit of Photoshop editing to me.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Peteski wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:46 pm Audi and Jaguar seem to have simply ignored that and just fitted a front grille anyway.
The iPace actually has half a grill - it's quite deceptive. The top section is open and the air flows through and out of the middle of the bonnet. I an not sure if they use this airflow for anything productive (aerodynamic or cooling), but it appears to be quite a clever compromise.
Deleted User 1874

Guy wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:08 pm
Peteski wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:46 pm Audi and Jaguar seem to have simply ignored that and just fitted a front grille anyway.
The iPace actually has half a grill - it's quite deceptive. The top section is open and the air flows through and out of the middle of the bonnet. I an not sure if they use this airflow for anything productive (aerodynamic or cooling), but it appears to be quite a clever compromise.
Yeah I'd noticed that too on the iPace, but the end result of its overall styling is a relatively unimpressive Cd figure.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:46 pm
wizzzard wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:33 pm Off-topic but... Is the whole no-grill look going to be consistent across all e-vehicles? I can understand it improves aerodynamics but they're all beginning to look somewhat similar. The grill and light formation always gave cars character in my head. I wonder if there's anything that can replace the grills to do the same for e-cars.
Audi and Jaguar seem to have simply ignored that and just fitted a front grille anyway. I know what you mean about creating a unique character with a front "face" but I'm sure designers will think of something. You can still have fancy headlights and a subtle intake grille. I'm not that keen on the trend of oversized "willy waving" grilles anyway, especially on SUVs.
To have a grill of some sort, whether blank or otherwise, is inevitable and necessary to maintain a sense of identity. The most memorable marques all have an evolution of some design device or another. Mercedes, BMW, Alfa etc. Jaguar used to have one, then they had three and now they have one again but totally different from where they started!
Left to aero alone every vehicle would just about look the same or a variation of the same - think F1 and other single seat racers - even WEC cars -ish.
Porsche being historically rear engined have evolved along a different route but clearly have a front end identity which should, in fact, lend itself very well to EV driven design necessities.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Nothing wrong with this EV front end

or this

I don't see any problem projecting an identity without resorting to plonking a large fake grille on the front. Interestingly Tesla's first generation Model S had a fake grille, which I didn't like at all:-

Dropping that traditional front end look was a good move IMHO.