Would you buy a car unseen?

The place to discuss everything else..
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

We had the announcement overnight that Tesla will finally be offering the Model 3 from $35000. To achieve this they are closing all physical stores - a 5% saving apparently - thus making the purchase only possible online. So, would you buy a $35000+ car unseen, having never even sat in one?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47410636
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

johnd

Post by johnd »

Well it does also say: 'The company will offer a full refund within one-week or 1000-miles, allowing customers to try them and return without penalty'.

Not really sure how this works because at a random guess maybe 30-40% of cars might get returned in this way and then what happens to them? Are they just given a super valet and recycled - maybe clocked back to zero too - to be resold as brand new. Or is there going to be a huge market in 'virtually new' Model 3's at a significant discount?
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

I think Polestar are also planning to only sell only also?
Miopyk

Post by Miopyk »

Technically I bought my first Macan unseen as it was ordered and deposit paid before the first models appeared in the showroom. I did get to see a pre-prod model in Harrods over Xmas 2013 but that was pretty much it until the first cars appeared about a month or so before mine arrived and I certainly didn't get to test drive one as mine was one of the few Petrol S versions and they were as rare as hens teeth back then.
Current
  • Guards Red 981 Cayman
    GT Silver 718 Boxster 25
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

There are a lot of Macan buyers who did just that.

Its the same for those who have orders for the Taycan.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:07 am There are a lot of Macan buyers who did just that.

Its the same for those who have orders for the Taycan.
True. But almost without exception buyers will have only have parted with a deposit, will have had at least one test drive and probably a session at PEC before totally committing.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
pmg

Post by pmg »

my simple answer would be , "no"

I would also add I would not buy a car without a drive of the model or a very similar variant. Having said that although I liked the Macan at the announcement in late 2013(?) the order lists were so long by the time the first drives were available in the UK, my 2014 purchase when I need a car went elsewhere. To stop the same happening for 2019 approaches to OPC's and drives were made a year ago with my car about to be built.

I assume Tesla/Polestar etc are still going to appear at events like motor shows and Goodwood FOS which will allow prospective customers to examine the car. Goodwood for a time had a 1st day when makers could provide cars for attendees to drive up the hill called the Moving Motor show but that disappeared last year and does not appear to be offered this year.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

All Tesla prices are also reducing by 6%. Great for resale values.

But I’m still struggling to understand how 35000 makes a profit when Musk has stated that, whilst making design changes, they a facing a huge challenge to get the price down. And 5 or 6% off even 38000 doesn’t give him what he needs.
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

johnd wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:24 am Well it does also say: 'The company will offer a full refund within one-week or 1000-miles, allowing customers to try them and return without penalty'.

Not really sure how this works because at a random guess maybe 30-40% of cars might get returned in this way and then what happens to them? Are they just given a super valet and recycled - maybe clocked back to zero too - to be resold as brand new. Or is there going to be a huge market in 'virtually new' Model 3's at a significant discount?
I think the hassle of raising $35K, arranging finance, insurance etc will put off most joyriders in practice. But it will be interesting to see how this sales model goes. I know I wouldn't have bought my MX without a thorough look at the car and a proper test drive!
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:26 am
johnd wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:24 am Well it does also say: 'The company will offer a full refund within one-week or 1000-miles, allowing customers to try them and return without penalty'.

I think the hassle of raising $35K, arranging finance, insurance etc will put off most joyriders in practice. But it will be interesting to see how this sales model goes. I know I wouldn't have bought my MX without a thorough look at the car and a proper test drive!
I wonder how much has been factored in for collections and valeting within the immense geographic area that is the USA.

I’m not sure that EMs quoted rationale of ‘people want buy things online’ is well founded or just the PR of growing desperation.
Last edited by Dandock on Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.