Are McLaren back?

The place to discuss everything else..
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

VanB wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:33 pm Maybe, maybe not. Testing is notorious for sandbagging and we will only know at Melbourne.
I live in hope! :) Would like to see Vettel draw level with Hamilton. 🏁
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Rab J wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:52 pm
Peteski wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:15 pm I do wonder if the end is close for Williams? The man himself is very much living on borrowed time and the company itself is not exactly looking attractive for investors. McLaren at least looks vaguely like a 21st century company!
I always had a soft spot for Williams but the documentry a couple of weeks back didnt paint either Frank or the company in a very good light. It was surprising to see how much they were flying by the seat of their pants when all looked great from the outside. Robbing Peter to pay Paul was the exclusive property of Eddie Jordan I had thought. It seems Eddie was not the only one with money problems, I wonder just how many of the teams are the same?
F1 teams have become a lot more corporate over the last couple of decades and while that might sound a bit dull, it's better for the people who actually have to work for them! People like Frank Williams, Eddie Jordan etc are borderline crooks once you take away the glamour. Not that I care about such things, but I always thought it was odd that Williams got a knighthood. For what exactly? F1 was all still a bit rock-n-roll even in the 90s and early 2000s, but now it's much like any other high tech industry - except for a few oversized egos due to the money involved. The timescales involved create a lot of unnatural pressure too. I got out of it 10 years ago because I could see the effect it had on older guys and the people I know who continued now have a lot more grey hairs than I do, lol!