What should a car sound like?

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

I can't say I've had any close calls with cyclists or pedestrians in 17k miles of driving an EV. I haven't noticed any less awareness on approach. I am aware of the lack of engine noise in carparks, but people walk in front of your car just the same in an ICE car in those situations. I would like a pound for the number of times I've started reversing in an ICE car and someone has casually walked past the back of my car. Happens all the time, EV or ICE.

Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Peteski wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:39 am I can't say I've had any close calls with cyclists or pedestrians in 17k miles of driving an EV. I haven't noticed any less awareness on approach. I am aware of the lack of engine noise in carparks, but people walk in front of your car just the same in an ICE car in those situations. I would like a pound for the number of times I've started reversing in an ICE car and someone has casually walked past the back of my car. Happens all the time, EV or ICE.
I think it’s actually more an unsighted people issue; crossing roads; negotiating shared spaces etc.

What I cannot imagine is the plethora of different ‘noises’ let loose in the environment. I can imagine it being quite dangerous to some - like simultaneously being in several lifts all playing different musac. And especially electronic sounds which which are often difficult to geographically place.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
happy days

Post by happy days »

I got a lift home in a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV the other day. In electric mode only, I was rather surprised by the amount of noise inside. Obviously not at slow speeds, but we were travelling along at about 40mph and I thought the Macan would be quieter on the road.
Macan S D
718 S
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

I’ve no idea if any research exits that distinguishes exhaust/engine noise from tyre noise but I’m reasonably convinced that, exhaust-noise junkies aside, most of the noise at speed - as opposed to crawling along - from both inside and out comes from the tyres - ICE or EV!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

One of the reasons why every passenger tyre sold in the EU carries a label covering these aspects:

Tyre labelling information.jpg

Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Yes, I noticed the dBs when looking at Macans 4-5 years ago.

But dB measurement is not simple science as 1) the graph does not rise uniformly and 2) it’s dependent on pitch. For example the low thrum of a Harley may fail a dB test whereas a pain-in-the-ass screaming two-stroke will pass.