What should a car sound like?

The place to discuss everything else..
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

As EVs emit little engine noise safety of pedestrians has become an issue. So what noise should an EV make? The auto world is experimenting.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-autos ... =applenews
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

This is the most annoying BS I've come across for ages. What noise exactly does a typical modern ICE car engine make at supermarket carpark speeds on approach? You can hardly tell the engine is running on most cars unless you are inside it or stood literally right behind it. Unless of course you have some obnoxious sports exhaust! If there is any artificial noise required, it should be a reversing warning only IMHO. But it looks like we're going to pollute towns and cities with artificial "engine" noise regardless.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Couldn’t agree more albeit at very slow speeds there is a huge difference. Eg residential areas, car parks etc when an EV can creep up unheard.

Most of the mainstream noise comes from the tyres and/or the road surface.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Dandock wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:25 pm Couldn’t agree more albeit at very slow speeds there is a huge difference. Eg residential areas, car parks etc when an EV can creep up unheard.

Most of the mainstream noise comes from the tyres and/or the road surface.
The only difference I've noticed with EVs in carparks is that you can't tell whether or not they are about to suddenly start moving like you usually can with ICE - by either noticing the exhaust fumes and/or hearing a bit of engine noise (depending on the type of car). A cold rattly diesel is pretty obvious on start up, but not so much a luxury petrol car.
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Can I jump in on this one. I'm a serious cyclist, and do shed loads of miles when the weather suits. I was only thinking of this issue the other day. When in busy areas, you know that cars ( which what we are discussing at present ) are around you all the time, and you cycle accordingly, watching out and thinking for them, all the time. But on quiet country lanes where cars are few and far between, you tend to use the hearing a lot, and then the eyes, to see what's around you. I know there is tyre noise, but any wind whistling around the ears will kill that noise. When it becomes the norm, for EV's, to be prevalent on the road, a lot more attention will be needed.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

TheTraveller wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:38 pm Can I jump in on this one. I'm a serious cyclist, and do shed loads of miles when the weather suits. I was only thinking of this issue the other day. When in busy areas, you know that cars ( which what we are discussing at present ) are around you all the time, and you cycle accordingly, watching out and thinking for them, all the time. But on quiet country lanes where cars are few and far between, you tend to use the hearing a lot, and then the eyes, to see what's around you. I know there is tyre noise, but any wind whistling around the ears will kill that noise. When it becomes the norm, for EV's, to be prevalent on the road, a lot more attention will be needed.
Maybe, safety is a concern. How would this work where your fellow cyclists ride around with earphones oblivious to their surroundings?! I think, as long as you are situationally aware, these sorts of additions are unnecessary.
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

I do believe from a safety aspect a sound should be on all ev at low speed.
It’s amazing how much you use your ears as well as your eyes when crossing roads etc.
That’s my personal opinion on it and was always taught to stop look and LISTEN.

I do believe they will have to have one by September this year when driving below 19mph? Sure someone will come along and confirm or correct me.

What sound they will make who knows....
GTS 😀
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

Kasfranks99 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:40 pm I do believe from a safety aspect a sound should be on all ev at low speed.
It’s amazing how much you use your ears as well as your eyes when crossing roads etc.
That’s my personal opinion on it and was always thought to stop look and LISTEN.

I do believe they will have to have one by September this year when driving below 19mph? Sure someone will come along and confirm or correct me.

What sound they will make who knows....
As with most electronic noise emitting products nowadays I'm sure there will be many variants to personally tailor 😖😂

IMG_0461.JPG

Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Very nice selection Mike. But you forgot one. 😂

C8ABAB39-8375-4EE2-A7EF-A18124C2CEE7.jpeg

GTS 😀
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Kasfranks99 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:41 pm Very nice selection Mike. But you forgot one. 😂

C8ABAB39-8375-4EE2-A7EF-A18124C2CEE7.jpeg
I seem to remember seeing a road test of a Tesla which does have a Fart mode sound!

The mind boggles as to the mindset of the designer who instigated that one.

What is wrong with the car having an external speaker and coupled to the forward facing radar a pre recorded message is played.
Get out of the way you blithering idiot I am coming through in my near silent £80,000 all electric Tesla motorised vehicle.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags