Fallibility of ANPR cameras.

The place to discuss everything else..
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Because I travel over the Dartford crossing via the M25 a lot, I decided to register my vehicles with the crossing comp. And set up auto payment, giving my bank details, etc. I didn't want the hassle of having to make contact everytime I crossed, to make payment. A receipt is emailed when the process is completed.
However, I got an auto email receipt, for a crossing I never made. I telephoned the comp. and spoke with an agent. After I gave him the reg. no. he must have looked at the camera picture shot, and said, it's not your car. And gave a refund to my crossing account.
But, I am away from home, abroad for months at a time. Had I not registered, the crossing charge, would not have been paid. The next letter, presumeably would have been a fine, for not paying within the timescale. I would not have been aware of this, and not been in a position to challenge it, what would have happened then? Further letters, with threats of punative charges and possible court procedings. THE SHERRIFS ARE COMING. All while I was abroad. Heavens, the consequences could have been dire.
Thank goodness it was registered. lol.