Taycan Cross Turismo

The place to discuss everything else..
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

TheTraveller wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:15 am Something has to be done for people who live in densely populated areas, where there is no offroad parking. Or people who live in high rise flats. I can see the little drug/alcohol fuelled urchins, coming home from the night out (when possible), and think it's a good game to play/prank with all the chargers and cables attached to the cars. I think a lot of planning needs to be done, in a realistic world.
I’m not convinced that cars of any type are the solution for those areas.

Deleted User 1874

pmg wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:05 pm
Peteski wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:23 pm You need a few things to run an EV for everything without compromise:-

1. Home charging
2. At least 200 mile real world range
3. A reliable national network of high speed roadside chargers, min 100kW
I would add the national network needs to reach places away for our main national motorway /duel carriageway road network. Based on my usual annual travel I would need a fast charger in Mid Wales and North Norfolk. I have been watching the Tesla Network and the sometime promised fast chargers in Aberystwyth now shown as due 3rd quarter 2021. even for tesla it is only just happening. Realistically they need to be available no more than 30 to 50 miles from any mainland location
Agreed, although becoming less of an issue with more Tesla destination chargers and 300+ mile real world range. I think I could easily cope with a trip to Wales now. But unfortunately probably not in a Taycan at this point. Will review the public charging situation closely when the Macan EV is released.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Peteski wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:12 pm
Peteski wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:23 pm You need a few things to run an EV for everything without compromise:-

1. Home charging
2. At least 200 mile real world range
3. A reliable national network of high speed roadside chargers, min 100kW
I would add the national network needs to reach places away for our main national motorway /duel carriageway road network. Based on my usual annual travel I would need a fast charger in Mid Wales and North Norfolk. I have been watching the Tesla Network and the sometime promised fast chargers in Aberystwyth now shown as due 3rd quarter 2021. even for tesla it is only just happening. Realistically they need to be available no more than 30 to 50 miles from any mainland location
Agreed, although becoming less of an issue with more Tesla destination chargers and 300+ mile real world range. I think I could easily cope with a trip to Wales now. But unfortunately probably not in a Taycan at this point. Will review the public charging situation closely when the Macan EV is released.
I do know of a friend with an X who managed to tour the Scottish Highlands by saying at hotels with Tesla destination chargers. That is fine if you are able to book well in advance. One of the Norfolk pubs has a destination charger but about half the time I try to book all rooms already gone.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Deleted User 1874

pmg wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:40 pm
Peteski wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:12 pm

I do know of a friend with an X who managed to tour the Scottish Highlands by saying at hotels with Tesla destination chargers. That is fine if you are able to book well in advance. One of the Norfolk pubs has a destination charger but about half the time I try to book all rooms already gone.
Yes I've found the Tesla destination chargers pretty useful on occasion. I used one at a hotel in Cambridge last year as there were no superchargers close by. I wasn't staying there overnight, just passing by. That's actually the only time I have really needed one. But I also use one at a pub near where I go mountain biking. Just stop off there for lunch and the free charging is a bonus. I don't need them very often, but when I do it's convenient. In 3 years of Tesla ownership I've never once used a general public charger. They always seem to be hogged by Leafs (should it be Leaves?), i3s, Outlanders or ICE cars! It will be interesting to hear how Taycan owners get on with charging away from home. It should get better as more rapid chargers come online, but progress looks pretty slow.
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Peteski wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:04 pm
TheTraveller wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:15 am Something has to be done for people who live in densely populated areas, where there is no offroad parking. Or people who live in high rise flats. I can see the little drug/alcohol fuelled urchins, coming home from the night out (when possible), and think it's a good game to play/prank with all the chargers and cables attached to the cars. I think a lot of planning needs to be done, in a realistic world.
I’m not convinced that cars of any type are the solution for those areas.
+1
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

The Porsche Post (club magazine) arrived today. A piece which it reported from electric car publication Driving Electric, has given the Taycan its Best Electrified Performance Car. And goes on to say it is the first production car with an 800 volt battery, instead of 400 volts found in all others. And can attain an 80% charge in 22.5 mins.
I don't know much about the details of electric cars, but this sounds good going to me, the charge rate at least.
Deleted User 1874

TheTraveller wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:39 pm The Porsche Post (club magazine) arrived today. A piece which it reported from electric car publication Driving Electric, has given the Taycan its Best Electrified Performance Car. And goes on to say it is the first production car with an 800 volt battery, instead of 400 volts found in all others. And can attain an 80% charge in 22.5 mins.
I don't know much about the details of electric cars, but this sounds good going to me, the charge rate at least.
The problem is that there are practically no chargers available to make any use of it.
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

Peteski wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:04 am
TheTraveller wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:39 pm The Porsche Post (club magazine) arrived today. A piece which it reported from electric car publication Driving Electric, has given the Taycan its Best Electrified Performance Car. And goes on to say it is the first production car with an 800 volt battery, instead of 400 volts found in all others. And can attain an 80% charge in 22.5 mins.
The problem is that there are practically no chargers available to make any use of it.
A couple of items I read in the news today. One involved a co. in Pennsylvania, USA which has developed a system which makes the batteries last longer between charges and charge quicker, by keeping them at a hotter temp.
The other was a Chinese man who says he can make the batteries last for up to 2million kilometres. Probably outlast most vehicles. But would make less of an impact on the initial emissions when produced, per battery usage.
Deleted User 1874

TheTraveller wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:04 pm
Peteski wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:04 am
A couple of items I read in the news today. One involved a co. in Pennsylvania, USA which has developed a system which makes the batteries last longer between charges and charge quicker, by keeping them at a hotter temp.
The other was a Chinese man who says he can make the batteries last for up to 2million kilometres. Probably outlast most vehicles. But would make less of an impact on the initial emissions when produced, per battery usage.
The heating effect to increase the safe charging rate is already well known. Tesla now use this for supercharging up to 250kW. When you input a supercharger into the sat nav, the car automatically pre-heats the battery as you approach to allow charging at the highest rate straight away. Charging time from 10-80% is now just over 20 mins on a Model 3. About half what it used to be on the previous gen chargers. But there are currently only a handful of the new spec 250kW chargers in the UK.