More interventions from the Nanny State!

The place to discuss everything else..
Paul

Post by Paul »

Col M wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:58 pm Having spent the day driving around the south coast today I've come to the conclusion that... I'm all for it! Providing it also increases the speed of vehicles up to the road limit
😂👍👍
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Having just come back from 4 days touring Cornwall, covering 460 miles including the hilly A30 dual carriage way sections, it will be a pain in the rear end if the car would limit progress in future. One of the joy's of the Macan is being able to safely despatch the slow-coach groccles enroute. :evil:

Filled up before leaving home. There and back and still with fuel to spare from that one tank full. Fast and frugal. ;) :D
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Evo are musing on this subject in the latest issue no. 261:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Col M

Post by Col M »

My Macan got three speed limits wrong on the trip from Stansted to Hatfield...still was permitted to drive through Hertford at 70!
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
VanB

Post by VanB »

The most compelling part of the article suggesting it's a bad idea is that drivers were "switching off". This would lead to reduced concentration and awareness of what's happening around them and would probably lead to reduced anticipation of developing circumstances ahead of them. All dangerous behind the wheel of a car.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

VanB wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:58 pm The most compelling part of the article suggesting it's a bad idea is that drivers were "switching off". This would lead to reduced concentration and awareness of what's happening around them and would probably lead to reduced anticipation of developing circumstances ahead of them. All dangerous behind the wheel of a car.
Indeed. :(
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

VanB wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:58 pm The most compelling part of the article suggesting it's a bad idea is that drivers were "switching off". This would lead to reduced concentration and awareness of what's happening around them and would probably lead to reduced anticipation of developing circumstances ahead of them. All dangerous behind the wheel of a car.
Exactly.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Dumb-down cars are well suited to driving in autonomous mode. Elon Musk stated recently that Tesla will be fully autonomous by 2020, although we know that his forecasting is overly optimistic. It will probably appeal to Millennials that don’t care to get a license, and/or senior citizens that don’t want to drive themselves any longer.

For the rest of us, I can see myself buying a limited edition vehicle a year before the draconian regs kick-in!
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Col M

Post by Col M »

If autonomous driving allows me to have a drink at my favourite country pubs, then I'll get a 2nd car for pub crawls 🤗. Actually have to talk to the brewery into providing one.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
DiverNick

Post by DiverNick »

Pivot wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:05 pm Dumb-down cars are well suited to driving in autonomous mode. Elon Musk stated recently that Tesla will be fully autonomous by 2020, although we know that his forecasting is overly optimistic. It will probably appeal to Millennials that don’t care to get a license, and/or senior citizens that don’t want to drive themselves any longer.

For the rest of us, I can see myself buying a limited edition vehicle a year before the draconian regs kick-in!
AND when there is an RTC involving a driven / autonomous vehicle, does the unlicensed driver in the auto car get assumed innocence as that car could not be at fault? The Asimov "I Robot" principle??