More interventions from the Nanny State!

The place to discuss everything else..
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I took note today as I went out in my Macan.

Just around town and back so 30mph and 40 mph speed limits.

Maximum speed achieved in 30mph was 28mph.

Maximum speed in 40mph was 39mph.

MFD showed an average of only 18mph for the outward and returning journeys.

So volume of traffic is allready limiting traffic speed in built up areas.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

PaulR

Post by PaulR »

Depending how it's implemented, this could be really dangerous. I everyone's car is limited to the speed limit, many people will drive pedal to the metal. The speed limit will become the target. So while cars may not be able to technically speed, people will end up driving faster than the conditions allow. People will just drive at 30 in 30 limits, 40 in 40 limits and so on, perhaps much faster than the appropriate speed. And no doubt tail gating the car in front, as they'll be both frustrated and reliant on AEB to for them out.

I actually wonder how many accidents are caused by vehicles driving over the speed limit, as opposed to vehicles driving inappropriately fast or in a dangerous way. Most of the bad driving I see (e.g. tailgating, not paying attention, on your phone etc) is done within the realms of the speed limit.

A far better solution would be for you car to warn you when you break the speed limit. Perhaps more incremental (i.e. annoying) sounds the faster over the limit you go. For example, just a dashboard warning when you reach the limit. Then turning to an audible warning when say 10% over the limit. Then crazy loud warning when say 20% over. Think of how our parking sensors work. (But less random!)
Current - Macan III GTS
Previous - Macan II GTS, Macan I GTS
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Are German Autobahn drivers going to take it lying down?
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Paul

Post by Paul »

Pivot wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:53 am Are German Autobahn drivers going to take it lying down?
Shouldn’t be an issue on the unregulated portions.....?
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Pivot wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:53 am Are German Autobahn drivers going to take it lying down?
With Autopilot ‘on’ they probably could. :o
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
VanB

Post by VanB »

All terribly interesting and Nanny State. From what I’ve seen on the roads the biggest problems seem to be drivers manoeuvring inappropriately, driving too slowly on a “fast” road and sheer ignorance of what’s happening around them.

None of the above will be addressed by limiting the speed of cars. I imagine (although don’t profess to know) that most accidents are not caused by excess speed but by driver inattention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Paul

Post by Paul »

VanB wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:26 pm All terribly interesting and Nanny State. From what I’ve seen on the roads the biggest problems seem to be drivers manoeuvring inappropriately, driving too slowly on a “fast” road and sheer ignorance of what’s happening around them.

None of the above will be addressed by limiting the speed of cars. I imagine (although don’t profess to know) that most accidents are not caused by excess speed but by driver inattention.

Speed never killed anyone; the massive shock at the end might have.......😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
VanB

Post by VanB »

Haha

I had an argument with a traffic cop a few years ago when I argued that speed doesn’t kill but the sudden absence of speed can!

Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Dandock wrote:
With Autopilot ‘on’ they probably could. :o
In a missionary position [emoji38]
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Col M

Post by Col M »

Having spent the day driving around the south coast today I've come to the conclusion that... I'm all for it! Providing it also increases the speed of vehicles up to the road limit
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble