My 992 is nearly here!

The place to discuss everything else..
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Great post and pics. Thanks for sharing! :)

Were the roads mostly good quality and of ‘normal’ width? Or were there many narrow lanes where you’d normally think twice about taking your shiny, new 992 pride & joy?
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

Tracky

Post by Tracky »

Thanks for the update and pics!

Glad it is going well at that route is on my to do list !
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
happy days

Post by happy days »

Paul wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:01 pm Nice write-up, thanks for sharing.

We’re doing the NC500 in September (hoping for a midge and tourist free time) having done the Route des Grandes Alpes last Sept.

I’m still trying to resist the lure of a 992 Cab..........😳😉
Get yourself some Avon Skin So Soft (the blue bottle) - it will keep the midges at bay.
Macan S D
718 S
antsjey

Post by antsjey »

Wing Commander wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:28 pm Great post and pics. Thanks for sharing! :)

Were the roads mostly good quality and of ‘normal’ width? Or were there many narrow lanes where you’d normally think twice about taking your shiny, new 992 pride & joy?
There is a very wide mix of all roads that you could possibly imagine Wing Commander!
From wide fast roads with lovely bends, to lots of single lane paths with bays to pull into every kilometre or so with some gradients that you drive over now knowing what is on the other side!
There were a few tricky moments including one when I had to reverse back up a single lane path to let a caravan and 3 cars pass me and my rear view camera and windscreen were covered in dirt!
If I drive there again I will probably skip the narrow paths and do more faster A Roads. Literally all roads up there are soo good that even if you take a wrong turn (which my friend did) you still end up on a beautiful scenic road.
I don't think it would make me think twice about taking my 992 up there, it's there to be driven and driven hard I say! :D
antsjey

Post by antsjey »

happy days wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:14 am

We’re doing the NC500 in September (hoping for a midge and tourist free time) having done the Route des Grandes Alpes last Sept.

Get yourself some Avon Skin So Soft (the blue bottle) - it will keep the midges at bay.
I was more concerned about the bugs on my car than me! :lol:
It was already quite bad when you get nearer water, the bugs were huge, but apart from that it wasn't too bad.
Apart from the bugs, I had sheep crap on the wings of my car which did upset me! :lol: :shock:
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

antsjey wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:56 am
Wing Commander wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:28 pm Great post and pics. Thanks for sharing! :)

There is a very wide mix of all roads that you could possibly imagine Wing Commander!
From wide fast roads with lovely bends, to lots of single lane paths with bays to pull into every kilometre or so with some gradients that you drive over now knowing what is on the other side!
There were a few tricky moments including one when I had to reverse back up a single lane path to let a caravan and 3 cars pass me and my rear view camera and windscreen were covered in dirt!
If I drive there again I will probably skip the narrow paths and do more faster A Roads. Literally all roads up there are soo good that even if you take a wrong turn (which my friend did) you still end up on a beautiful scenic road.
I don't think it would make me think twice about taking my 992 up there, it's there to be driven and driven hard I say! :D
Sounds great! Cheers,
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
happy days

Post by happy days »

antsjey wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:57 am
happy days wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:14 am

I was more concerned about the bugs on my car than me! :lol:
It was already quite bad when you get nearer water, the bugs were huge, but apart from that it wasn't too bad.
Apart from the bugs, I had sheep crap on the wings of my car which did upset me! :lol: :shock:
Rub it on the car then!
Macan S D
718 S
mcnallys

Post by mcnallys »

antsjey wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:12 pm
Tracky wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:31 am Slight thread revival, how you getting on with the car?

Mine goes in to build early Sept so I’m starting to get excited

I bottled out on the crayon in the end and white metallic white
I'm about 3500 miles into her as we speak, it's been an amazing past few months!
Looks wise she is stunning, I get people everywhere talking to me about it and taking pictures.

From a driving point of view, the car has a Jekyll and Hyde personality. When cruising long distances the car is very quiet and easy to drive, but when given the chance to put your foot down the engine screams in a nice way beyond 4k revs upwards. It's not a GT3 scream which can be heard miles around but internally it sounds really nice and with the exhaust opening up the burbles in Sport Mode are now louder than when I first got the car.
The car picks up speed deceptively quick which can be pretty dangerous.

I optioned the front lift but in everyday driving the car hasn't really needed it apart from when parking in certain drives with dips in. I've scraped the front plastic splitter quite a few times with the lift up so glad I didn't get the Sport Design front bumper.
I am loving the rear axle steering especially in town and fast driving, makes the car really nimble.

My only downsides are that I've got a door panel rattle when the speakers are turned up middle to high volume which is annoying. I haven't taken it back yet as it's summer and want to keep the car!

My highlight so far was doing the NC500 in May. I never knew roads could be so good! Jeremy Clarkson wasn't wrong when he said these are the best roads in the world. It's like the whole place was designed by a petrol head!
This trip alone was about 1800 miles so got a lot of time to get to know the car properly. It's ability to cruise meant I actually embraced a 7 hour drive to and from Scotland with ease.
Grip levels are extremely good and I found myself almost getting overly confident going into and out of turns! RWS definitely helped its agility in the corners.
The roads in the Scottish Highlands allow you to really open up the car. I still remember the sound of the engine zinging at high revs in my head going round some beautiful roads at high speed with hardly anyone in site. I also managed to do a few launch controls, it's brutally fast!
I did the NC500 element over 3 days after being advised to do it in May due to overcrowding and bugs in the summer months, it was a great tip. We had a great amount of time were the roads were very quiet which allowed us to "explore the car's capabilities" shall we say! :)
You do often come across a few caravans and slower cars but the speed in this car allows you to overtake with ease.

I've got a drive across Europe to Italy in Aug/Sep so will post a few pics after that trip.

Tracky, enjoy the car when it comes, it is mind blowingly good in my eyes! Shame you didn't join the crayon gang but it looks good in any colour!
I'll leave you with a few pics from Scotland 8-)
Hey Antsjey,

Just looking over your pics as we are debating on colour, Crayon, Miami Blue or Guards red. I am75% on the Crayon but unsure what do with the interior, we are goiong for the sport tex and crayon stitching - cant decide on crayon belts and white clocks or Guards Red belts and Guards Red clocks (like you have). What do you think of the red after several months of ownership?

Have added RWS to the spec and possibly the tinted LED Matrix headlights - which are new, but is it a waste or money against either standard or LED Main with PDLS - would you spec Matrix again?

Your 992 is a fantastic and looks 'classy' and is understated yet different. Feel free to add more snaps. :)

I am steering away from loud colours, we have a VG Macan GTS - worried we will be the grey family (with my hair going greyer by the day).

We have the Porsche Experience booked for October to go back there and really check it. I think RWS will be great from what I can read.

Si
2016 Macan GTS - Volcano Grey and a few extras (SOLD)
2020 992s - Crayon and a few extra, extras
2022 Land Rover Defender 110 D300 HSE X-Dynamic Black, 7 seats and a load of extras

992s Code - http://www.porsche-code.com/PLXDLWK3
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

I’d think guards red belts and clocks , that is what I have coming on my Carrera white one

I have matrix on my amg and decided I couldn’t live with out them but I live in the country

I was about to ask for pics of your viper green Macan but assume that isn’t what you meant !

What build date have you been given?
On order

GT4 RS

Current

2019 992 S
2019 Macan S
2014 Modified Lotus Exige V6
2022 Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
1987 928S4
1967 Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

2012 Boxster S
mcnallys

Post by mcnallys »

Viper Green - now that would be loud. Volcano Grey GTS - which I love, the Porsche bug has bitten us!

Going towards the red bits n pieces - for a bit of pizz azz

Date was Jan, but we didnt want in the depths of winter, so have opted for April / May. This then gave us time to go over the Silverstone again, also the rumours of a GTS 992 appearing earlier than expected (who knows), we can switch to that if its released before we lock down if prices arent crazy.

I l;ike carrara white, my wife wasnt too keen so Crayon next best I think, even though yet more ££ but thats porsche for ya.

When is yours arriving?
Tracky wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:33 pm I’d think guards red belts and clocks , that is what I have coming on my Carrera white one

I have matrix on my amg and decided I couldn’t live with out them but I live in the country

I was about to ask for pics of your viper green Macan but assume that isn’t what you meant !

What build date have you been given?
2016 Macan GTS - Volcano Grey and a few extras (SOLD)
2020 992s - Crayon and a few extra, extras
2022 Land Rover Defender 110 D300 HSE X-Dynamic Black, 7 seats and a load of extras

992s Code - http://www.porsche-code.com/PLXDLWK3