Nick Murray Macan S

The place to discuss everything else..
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Panthera wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:29 pm
Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:22 pm Thanks for that guys.

I do not bother to much with reviews after all how can some of them be even remotely realistic if a Macan is not top of the list.

The only cars that come close to a Macan in terms of performance is the Alfa and Merc but who in their right mind would buy either, yes the Merc may have a great V8 but still it is dire to look at and the Alfa is drop dead gorgeous but it is an Alfa.

Far better to get out there and test drive and make up your own mind.
Absolutely agree that test driving is the only way to really appreciate if a car may be right for you. Looking at photos and YouTube videos, I admit to being distinctly underwhelmed by the Macan interior but once I saw it in reality I though it was fabulous (and still do). And of course I had no idea how it drove until I took one out for an extended test drive. Then I was hooked! :D
Yes, it depends where you are coming from to quite a degree.

I was on an extended test drive of an X4 when I stopped at Kendal Porsche, one look inside and the X4 was an also ran despite that glorious 35D engine.

Went to Mercedes to look at their offering, got in had a fiddle, got out. Their interiors are total cr4p, very cheap and nasty. I even pulled what I thought was a cubby hole and a whole mass of plastic trim came off. The loaner C class I had was terrible, the other loaner was a Nissan and much superior to the C class.

Yes, you research, you look but all it takes is one drive and there can be only one.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

N111BJG

Post by N111BJG »

The trouble is that it can be hard to get hold of the actual car you want to drive
I booked a Mercedes GLC coupe 43 for extended test, when I arrived that car wasn’t available & I was offered a 250 diesel. I took it as spec wise it was similar & was 4matic. You tube reviews have since showed me that the two are chalk & cheese performance wise. But I disliked the interior so much I was put off. Maybe the better performance of the petrol car would have swayed me.
I was a novice at buying new Porsche & internet reviews really helped me visualise what options I wanted as there were so few 2019 Macan’s to see close up at the time.
2023 Macan S in Copper Ruby Metallic
2022 Mini Cooper Exclusive Convertible (Hers)
2022 BMW R1250GS
2016 991.2 C4S Cabriolet in Miami Blue
2019 Macan S (Sold)
2015 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster (Sold)
2005 997.1 C2S Cabriolet (sold)
dragoshsd

Post by dragoshsd »

I feel ya on the test drive availability. In fact, the only reason I took the Macan into consideration was it was the only brand who had 3.0L petrol engines available for a test in my city. And boy I'm sure glad they did!
PSEE

Post by PSEE »

Nick is a Kiwi (New Zealander) living in the US (CT) and has created several YouTube videos.

He bought the Macan to replace his VW GTI.

8-)
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

Nick Murray’s review of the Macan S is pathetic. How could anyone review a Porsche in a car park.... :roll:
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed
Col M

Post by Col M »

Alfanut wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:09 am Nick Murray’s review of the Macan S is pathetic. How could anyone review a Porsche in a car park.... :roll:
Check his work first. As he said it's a quick initial look, not a review. He gave a much longer look with his mum's Macan.

I truly enjoy his review of the options

Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

True, everyone will see it a bit differently. When I saw the title I got excited, by the end I was simply disappointed. Maybe the muddy dog on the back seat just annoyed me :x I enjoy several you tube channels (JWW, seen through glass,petrol ped, Archie H when he’s with Tony G), but Nick could have simply superimposed himself on the configurator and made a similar video.

You don’t review a bottle of wine by looking at it ;)
Hopefully he’ll open it up one day!
johnd

Post by johnd »

Alfanut wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:40 pm Hopefully he’ll open it up one day!
Have you actually viewed the 2015 video? That is Nick Murray's definitive Macan review, SD at least. These latest ones are just initial thoughts on spec and minor v2 differences now that he's actually bought a Macan as his runaround car.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

Nope, irrelevant, he’s bought a 2019 car. NM is obviously knowledgable & passionate about the Porsche brand but some first drive impressions would have been nice. A well presented video, but running through an options list on a dealer spec’d car?
johnd

Post by johnd »

Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly