Four days in........

The place to discuss everything else..
N111BJG

Post by N111BJG »

nsm3 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:06 pm As a motorcyclist, I just assume everyone else on the road is an incompetent dickhead and is out to kill me.
Agreed, I also ride a bike, if I am in any doubt about what anyone else is going to do I slow right down, maybe stop completely. If I was wrong to be worried I’ve lost a fraction of a second, if I was right I’ve avoided a trip to the hospital (or car to body shop).
There’s no consolation in saying the other driver was in the wrong from the grave. But there is some reward in being able to shout Dickhead in your helmet to nobody else as you ride away intact.
2023 Macan S in Copper Ruby Metallic
2022 Mini Cooper Exclusive Convertible (Hers)
2022 BMW R1250GS
2016 991.2 C4S Cabriolet in Miami Blue
2019 Macan S (Sold)
2015 Aston Martin V8 Vantage Roadster (Sold)
2005 997.1 C2S Cabriolet (sold)

uktivo

Post by uktivo »

MCDK wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:26 am The question on an insurance proposal is have you had any accidents, claims or convictions.

You have had both an accident and a claim as you have claimed off the other driver. Expect an increase unless you lie but don’t forget there are clever shared databases.
I have it in writing that my insurance premium will not be affected. I've reported the collision to my insurance but advised them it will be handled outside of my insurance directly with the 3rd party insurance. (The 3rd party insurance actually called me, esure, to advise they accepted liability and offered to repair my car without affecting or contacting my insurance). That means there is no claim on my insurance.
This is one weird business model I agree. I've hav two claims in the 46 years of driving.. so I have to admit, I'm no expert.
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Panamera turbo S E Hybrid (sold)
Cayenne sport (the bosses)
Taycan Turbo loving it.
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

N111BJG wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:49 am
nsm3 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:06 pm As a motorcyclist, I just assume everyone else on the road is an incompetent dickhead and is out to kill me.
Agreed, I also ride a bike, if I am in any doubt about what anyone else is going to do I slow right down, maybe stop completely. If I was wrong to be worried I’ve lost a fraction of a second, if I was right I’ve avoided a trip to the hospital (or car to body shop).
There’s no consolation in saying the other driver was in the wrong from the grave. But there is some reward in being able to shout Dickhead in your helmet to nobody else as you ride away intact.
May I say, DEAD right with that one. How many tomb stones might have the inscription, It was that B.st..ds fault.
Having probably had too many driving courses, either I was that bad or whatever. Nearly 30 weeks in total, and being a cyclist, where you seem to think that you're car drivers fodder. The awareness is extreme.
Now I never get side by side of any vehicle going straight on at a roundabout, as others have said. Either way in front if there is a gap, or hold back at the rear of its o/s/r corner as its exiting, having time to stop if dickhead turns right.
A few years ago in Mallorca, while out cycling. Entered a roundabout, while on the outside lane adjacent to the kerb, passing the first exit, a car took that exit colliding with me. Bang, ended up with a fractured pelvis, 16 weeks using a wheelchair and crutches. Some of which while on holiday. The Guardia Civil, came to my hotel, after being discharged from hospital, and blamed me, stating it was my fault. They said it's Spanish law, that cyclists have to stop at every junction on a roundabout and check and give way to traffic. Load of crap, I found out. The claims company of my travel insurance which were out a good chunk of money, and solicitors for my cycling club. Said I had no chance with a claim, as the Spanish courts will always take not of the police, whether they are right or wrong. And secondly, the Spanish hate the British, when it comes to court decisions. So luckily, I recovered 100%.
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Yes certainly is a strange industry. Sadly you won’t now be able to use any online comparison sites for quotes due to having to answer yes to the accident/ claim question. Your current company may be ok with the situation but others will want to know. Means a few phone calls.

Worse than that would be having my 4 day old car damaged. I would have to sell it.
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

Trouble is the no claims model works as a predictor most of the time; you might drive in a riskier area, worse time of day, higher mileage etc.

It might just be that there's some idiot like me who doesn't know the area and sees the sign on the exit last minute and forgets to look.

I haven't done that for a month or so but last time it was on a roundabout that didn't exist in the sat nav.

I'm sure we all make mistakes.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
happy days

Post by happy days »

Once upon a time, many years ago I was driving along and stopped on a single carriageway to turn right. I was waiting for an approaching lorry to pass before I could turn. In the rear view mirror I observed the lights of a white van approaching at rather a large rate of knots towards my stationary vehicle, brake lights on and an indicator flashing. Of course the driver wasn't paying attention and he ran right into the back of me causing some substantial damage. I suspect that the driver was texting, but have no proof.

A few days prior to the accident, I had received my renewal notice. When I rang to advise the insurance company that I had been hit while stationary, and that the other driver had admitted liability and his insurers would be paying, I asked for confirmation that this would not affect my renewal premium. I was transferred to 'sales' who advised that our multi car premium would be increasing by £600. I complained saying that I was stationary, and that this was not my fault, but they advised that 'I was an increased risk' and despite having no-claims protection, I would have to stump up the additional premium. And as observed above, the standard question is 'any accidents or claims in the last five years?'. So basically, this no-fault accident will be costing me £3,000. I am still suing the other insurer for the cost...
Macan S D
718 S
uktivo

Post by uktivo »

happy days wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:23 am Once upon a time, many years ago I was driving along and stopped on a single carriageway to turn right. I was waiting for an approaching lorry to pass before I could turn. In the rear view mirror I observed the lights of a white van approaching at rather a large rate of knots towards my stationary vehicle, brake lights on and an indicator flashing. Of course the driver wasn't paying attention and he ran right into the back of me causing some substantial damage. I suspect that the driver was texting, but have no proof.

A few days prior to the accident, I had received my renewal notice. When I rang to advise the insurance company that I had been hit while stationary, and that the other driver had admitted liability and his insurers would be paying, I asked for confirmation that this would not affect my renewal premium. I was transferred to 'sales' who advised that our multi car premium would be increasing by £600. I complained saying that I was stationary, and that this was not my fault, but they advised that 'I was an increased risk' and despite having no-claims protection, I would have to stump up the additional premium. And as observed above, the standard question is 'any accidents or claims in the last five years?'. So basically, this no-fault accident will be costing me £3,000. I am still suing the other insurer for the cost...
Just goes to show how much of a racket the insurance industry is..
My Porsche history
944 (sold)
911 (992.1 - sold)
Macan Turbo (sold)
Panamera turbo S E Hybrid (sold)
Cayenne sport (the bosses)
Taycan Turbo loving it.
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I think insurance cost is determined by your likelihood of being involved in an accident regardless of blame. Even if your parked car is hit by someone else the insurance companies will see you as higher risk. If you had left it somewhere safer it wouldn't have been damaged is their type of thinking.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50