A tale of a crash, insurance and repairs

The place to discuss everything else..
happy days

Post by happy days »

It is a requirement to inform your insurers, even if you're not at fault. I posted elsewhere about my premium going up by £600 one time when I was hit while stationary. I asked why and was told that, even though I had protected no claims, and in fact was not making a claim, I was an 'increased risk' because I had been involved in an accident.
Macan S D
718 S

ianst

Post by ianst »

Dandock wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:40 am Sorry to hear about the bump and the afters, Goron. Don’t benefit from your contributions as much recently and then this!

Being a practicing cynic (comes from experience) I’m wondering if the better treatment from the third party’s insurer is a case of them trying to impress a potential customer. 🤨😈 Certainly seems to work judging from the brief sample. 😬
No, it is more reducing the third party costs, if they can take control of the claim they can talk you into one of their bodyshops that they get preferential rates at, (but wont argue of pick your own).

They can make significant savings on hire cars through their own providers as opposed to if the the TP gets into an expensive credit hire car. A credit hire company can charge a Macan S out at £185.89 per day at the current GTA rates. A Macan turbo is £243.99 per day. If you contact your own insurance and it is clear non fault, they will offer you a like for like car, and farm it out to a credit hire company, getting a referral fee in the process. They will say you can have a class b fiesta from our bodyshop, or as it is not your fault we will get you another Macan from one of our hire companies, and the policyholder leaps at it, and that is how the customer gets into a credit hire car.

The other saving is injury payouts, they can buy off the TP before they get a solicitor, eg offer them £1500-1800 for their injuries, without need for solicitors or doctors.
They have a list of postcodes with the likelihood of a driver from that area banging in an injury claim, so if they are in a high risk area they will straight out offer a buy out.

They are all at it equally, one company puts their customers in credit hire cars, so everyone has to, to maximise their profits, stop that customer going to their own company and it is a nice saving.
MY22 GTS awaiting parts :roll: http://www.porsche-code.com/PN7IVI77
69 Sapphire S: (sold)
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Interesting tale of Admiral being good the other way around above and that the insurer for the at-fault party being keen to be in control.

That certainly seems to fit here.
And yes @Dandock, the cynicism is well stated!

I suppose the big take-away for me is that Elephant/Admiral has no Porsche-Approved workshop within 50 miles of where I live that can do the work without it becoming much more complicated and stressful.

So yes, I won't be renewing with Elephant mainly on that basis and very possibly with Sheila/Esure because they do.

On the other hand, I can still shop around, but will be asking about the workshops available to do work.

I wonder too if it's related to defaqto rating? I think Elephant is 3 or 4 (at least my policy is) and Sheila is 5.
I felt I didn't need 5 star service because I already have roadside assistance from Porsche and didn't need a replacement car immediately etc.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
robbie

Post by robbie »

Hi, My new Macan was also hit whilst parked in a pub car park by a young driver reversing out of her parking bay straight into the back of mine! we were eating lunch at the time! At least she didn't drive off and was insured!
Anyway, I called my local OPC in Tewkesbury who recommended a company called 'AX' they are an Accident management company and deal with everything on your behalf.
1] They arranged for my car to be transported to a Porsche approved bodyshop (SprayMaster in Swindon), I insisted it was not driven as their bodyshop was 40+ miles away, they collected from the dealership in Tewkesbury using one of their own transporters
2] They arranged for a replacement Porsche to be delivered to align with my car being collected, they didn't have a 'like for like' Macan so I was upgraded to a 3.0 Diesel Cayenne
3] They dealt with the third party insurance company and on receipt of the repair estimate provide approval for the work to proceed
4] They collected the Cayenne from my home address once the repair work was done, an excellent finish with all new parts fitted to the rear.
5] If they then under-recover from the third party insurer they accept the settlement achieved and all other costs over and above are written off so no worries.

All I had to do was call my insurance company and 'for information only' tell them about the incident, they were not involved at all. Now whether they bump up my premium at the next renewal because I told them is another matter! but the less work your own insurer has to do the better me thinks!
MY23 Macan S - Delivered on 9th March 2023
Sold - MY19 Macan 2.0 - Delivered on 28th Dec 2018
happy days

Post by happy days »

I'd be surprised if your premium didn't go up.
Macan S D
718 S
goron59

Post by goron59 »

@robbie321alan this is similar to my story except that the company doing the work (Lancaster Body Repair Centre Witham) was suggested by the other insurer. I didn't get a Porsche replacement, but then I declined a car from Witham and chose to use Enterprise for when/if I needed a vehicle.

My only gripe, since getting the car back is that the badges on the rear are not quite spaced properly. The word "turbo" is a little too far from the word "Macan".

I'll get them to sort it, or perhaps get it done locally.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR