A tale of a crash, insurance and repairs

The place to discuss everything else..
goron59

Post by goron59 »

So a few weeks ago (26th May), just after I decided to keep my car into old age (> 3 years, need an MOT etc), a young lady crashed her Polo into the back of my car whilst I was stopped at a red light.

Disappointing.

Damage to my car was minimal. Bumper cracks and scrapes, broken license plate, messed up cameras.
Polo suffered a bit more damage with most of the front body work hanging off and a buckled bonnet.
No airbags deployed. Nobody hurt.

The eye opener for me was how the insurance companies handled it.

Mine, Elephant (Admiral) was so so when reporting it. It was a Bank Holiday Sunday when I called.
They agreed it would not be my fault and would get my car repaired and claim off the other side.
I'd have to use one of their approved repair shops, my NCB would be protected and basically everything fine.

Except: there was no Porsche-approved repair shop that they use within 50 miles of my location.
WTF? So if I followed this path, my car have no access to Porsche parts and the work would not be Porsche Approved. The "repair" would do more financial damage than the lady who crashed into me!

Option? Well sir, you can use a workshop of your choosing, but you'd have to pay your excess, possibly lose your NCB and then use Admiral Legal to reclaim all losses from the other party.

Bugger, I thought.

So the next day, Bank Holiday Monday, I had a call from her insurance company, Shiela's Wheels (Esure).

"Sorry to hear you had an accident with one of our customers, glad you are ok, yes, it's entirely our fault and we'll make sure you're looked after."

Cautiously, I ask if they have a Porsche Approved workshop I could use nearby. "Of course sir, there are three. Which would you like?"
And can we have Enterprise call you about a replacement car, or if you don't need one, we can just send you some money."

Much nicer.

The workshop came to collect my car (and returned it today - fingers cross, it's all ok - looks fine).
Sheila's Wheels sent me some money as I didn't need a replacement car immediately (I had visitors so nowhere to park it).
I called them a week later and asked for a car, and Enterprise called me and gave me a Mercedes C200 EQ.

I know Enterprise have a reputation for charging you your entire excess for a small scratch, but these guys were actually pretty good/friendly and didn't even charge me for the fuel I used.

So this was my first experience of an insurance claim, and it wasn't quite as traumatic as I anticipated.

And I learned three important things.
  • You really should have an insurance company that can fix your car without making it worse.
  • Sheila's Wheels were very helpful and accommodating. I always want to crash into someone insured by them. I will probably switch my insurance to them on next renewal.
  • Android Auto is a pile of shite, more on that later, perhaps.
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

Col M

Post by Col M »

Well currently Sheila's wheels do my home insurance! 😃 Go figure.
Expired Porsche code PJVNAUH5 Rhodium SD :roll: Agate & Pebble
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Good to hear that no-one hurt and that yours seems to have been well repaired, goron. :)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

So I take it you won’t be renewing with Admiral then?
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Ian.g wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:58 pm So I take it you won’t be renewing with Admiral then?
Looks like goron is likely to switch to Sheila’s Wheels. :geek:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

My wife had the opposite experience (not a Macan). Called NFU who were a bit so so and said that she would have to pay excess etc and then claim it back. Which I guess makes sense. Elephant, who insured the other party, offered to collect the car and deliver a hire car (she could have an Audi A5 if she wanted, same as hers) and deliver it all back fixed with nothing to pay.

Seems like the insurer of the at fault party is desperate to be in control so they don’t get stitched up.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Sorry to hear of your unfortunate experience goron, glad to hear everyone's Ok. Sounds like the classic young person's collision while on Facebook/Instagram/etc.

And thanks for sharing the tips on handling insurers.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

CharlesElliott wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:10 pm My wife had the opposite experience (not a Macan). Called NFU who were a bit so so and said that she would have to pay excess etc and then claim it back. Which I guess makes sense. Elephant, who insured the other party, offered to collect the car and deliver a hire car (she could have an Audi A5 if she wanted, same as hers) and deliver it all back fixed with nothing to pay.

Seems like the insurer of the at fault party is desperate to be in control so they don’t get stitched up.
I would agree, Elephant is a Admiral company think all are only interested when they are footing the bill.
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian. Delivery update mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Sorry to hear about the bump and the afters, Goron. Don’t benefit from your contributions as much recently and then this!

Being a practicing cynic (comes from experience) I’m wondering if the better treatment from the third party’s insurer is a case of them trying to impress a potential customer. 🤨😈 Certainly seems to work judging from the brief sample. 😬
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Greddyuk

Post by Greddyuk »

Did you inform your own insurance? And will it affect your premium for next year?
Gen 1 Macan Turbo in Carrera White
Air, 21” wheels ACC Pano SurCam 18w LEDs PS+, Int Light Pack
Heated Seats and Steering, Spare wheel, SC, Heat&Noise insulated
Ext Leather, Sports+ Bose+TV tuner
Std Turbo exhaust, E&Drive, Sports Design Package