992 Base Carrera Launched

The place to discuss everything else..
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Base Carrera launched - coupe and cabriolet - only available with 8-speed PDK transmission - from 'only' £82,793.

Power increased from 370hp to 385hp.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2019/pr ... 18248.html

irisXFSOSYJ3.jpg

Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

VanB

Post by VanB »

Strange that you would choose a picture of a yellow one ;)
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Panthera

Post by Panthera »

What's the driver (pardon the pun) for choosing the lower powered Carrera over the Carrera S? When you're spending that sort of money, is a saving of £10k here or there a deciding factor? Especially when purchased through PCP where the residuals presumably are similarly relative to the purchase price and thus the monthly payments not miles apart. Having said that, both way above my price point! :lol:

Or is it that in the real world the Carrera is all the 911 992 you're really ever going to need? And who apart from enthusiasts will ever notice the difference when it's parked up on your drive?

BTW, saw my first 992 in the metal parked up in Portstewart at the weekend (a horrid burgundy colour - imho) and 300 yards later a 993 Turbo Cab looking magnificent with the roof down! :D
Ray :geek:
Macan SD
Rhodium Silver, 21” Wheels on Air, ACC, Pano Sunroof, 14way Seats, 4x Heated and Steering, Reversing Cam, Spare Wheel, Privacy Glass, PDK Gears, Folding Mirrors,
Deleted User 1895

Post by Deleted User 1895 »

Panthera wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:08 pm What's the driver (pardon the pun) for choosing the lower powered Carrera over the Carrera S? When you're spending that sort of money, is a saving of £10k here or there a deciding factor? Especially when purchased through PCP where the residuals presumably are similarly relative to the purchase price and thus the monthly payments not miles apart. Having said that, both way above my price point! :lol:

Or is it that in the real world the Carrera is all the 911 992 you're really ever going to need? And who apart from enthusiasts will ever notice the difference when it's parked up on your drive?

BTW, saw my first 992 in the metal parked up in Portstewart at the weekend (a horrid burgundy colour - imho) and 300 yards later a 993 Turbo Cab looking magnificent with the roof down! :D
Hi. I ordered the base model 992 a couple of weeks back. My rationale, as you suggested, is that I don't need or want the ultimate speedster. This was reinforced by my budget which I thought about originally in cash terms: as a former financial man, I find it hard to justify spending £90k (including options) on a car and going to £100k for the S just doesn't quite pass the blink test.

Nevertheless, you are also right that I need to check the comparative PCP payments between the Base Model and the S. Now that the facts are available, I will do that and, if there is a negligible difference, that may still tip me towards the S.

It's a detail but I also think the smaller wheels on the base model, and the normal (un-lowered) ride height, will also give the base car a slightly better (i.e. more comfortable) ride.
Last edited by Deleted User 1895 on Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

VanB wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:57 pm Strange that you would choose a picture of a yellow one ;)
Obviously the best colour. ;)
Simon

VanB

Post by VanB »

derekm wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:52 pm
Panthera wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:08 pm What's the driver (pardon the pun) for choosing the lower powered Carrera over the Carrera S? When you're spending that sort of money, is a saving of £10k here or there a deciding factor? Especially when purchased through PCP where the residuals presumably are similarly relative to the purchase price and thus the monthly payments not miles apart. Having said that, both way above my price point! :lol:

Hi. I ordered the base model 992 a couple of weeks back. My rationale, as you suggested, is that I don't need or want the ultimate speedster. This was reinforced by my budget which I thought about originally in cash terms: as a former financial man, I find it hard to justify spending £90k (including options) on a car and going to £100k for the S just doesn't quite pass the blink test.

Nevertheless, you are also right that I need to check the comparative PCP payments between the Base Model and the S. Now that the facts are available, I will do that and, if there is a negligible difference, that may still tip me towards the S.

It's a detail but I also think the smaller wheels on the base model, and the normal (un-lowered) ride height, will also give the base car a slightly better (i.e. more comfortable) ride.
You probably get 90% of the ultimate 911 experience with the base model so, in that respect, it is the wise buy coupled with the fact that, outside of a track it's impossible to exploit its full capabilities on a public road. As for the ride I have a 991.2 GTS with 20mm lowered suspension and it is supremely comfortable. If it were much more supple ride-wise I think you would lose some of the sports car characteristics so it's a bit of a balancing act.

Base 992 will give you all of the performance you could possibly need so is arguably the best buy in the range but didnt stop me opting for the GTS despite the unpalatable invoice price. I don't regret a single one of the 17k miles I've done over the last 17 months of ownership :D
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Wing Commander wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:58 pm
VanB wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:57 pm Strange that you would choose a picture of a yellow one ;)
Obviously the best colour. ;)
:D :D :D :D
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Traditionally (and surprisingly to me) the Carrera S outsells the ‘base’ Carrera. This is evidenced for example by looking at what models are available on Autotrader etc, with noticeably more Carrera S and 4S than base Carrera and Carrera 4.

I’ve gone against the flow, as all of my Porsches were ‘base’ models rather than S or GTS or Turbo versions. Although with my recent actions, my humble Carrera T (same engine as base Carrera) has now leap-frogged S and GTS in terms of power and torque! ;) 8-)
Simon

Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

If you don't start with the Carrera you've got nowhere to go next :lol: - On the road it ticks all the boxes - the colour seems to be the biggest criteria for casual observers and black or yellow seem the most popular in my poll ;)
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Ferdie wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:11 pm If you don't start with the Carrera you've got nowhere to go next :lol: - On the road it ticks all the boxes - the colour seems to be the biggest criteria for casual observers and black or yellow seem the most popular in my poll ;)
Hmmmmmmm...! ;)

717A9C70-C422-4E24-BF32-337F87F6A793.jpeg

708DA76E-BF54-4C95-9C88-EE78631B3D1F.jpeg

Simon