Taycan Official Launch

The place to discuss everything else..
Red5

Post by Red5 »

I really like the way it looks and the medium sized body.

Porsche are going to make a fortune from the options list on these!
The list of stuff is endless :?
A really mixed bag it is too. I do really like the fixed glass roof and I’m sure some of the more engineering based chassis additions will be amazing 8-)

‘Electric sports sound’ £345 :lol:
Does this add fake Turbo sounds?

The Turbo and Turbo S nomenclature is f******g shameful :oops:
So many options for some new fresh naming strategies.

Also, are customers going to be paying £000’s to have different colour dials is hilarious, when it’s a video screen!

This is getting silly. Like charging you to go into your phone menu and switch the picture on your home screen!

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Hi Red5,

From seeing images online, I think the option for a coloured dial is to do with the Sports Chrono 'clock' if specified. I think I've seen an image of a Sports Chrono clock with what looks like some kind of wood inlay... :?

P.S. I do like the option of the non-leather seats/interior. Very happy with my Sport Tex seats and in the future, I'd specify them in preference to traditional 'luxury' leather seats.

Cheers,
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

VanB wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:48 pm Smithy if you have never driven a BEV you are in for a treat if you get the chance to test drive one. I suspect the Taycan will be a class above the Tesla Model S I drive but the instant torque and power delivery is something else.

I still have reservations as per WingCo and myself above but this is potentially a game changer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So having just gone through the specs in a little detail, this "game changer" is on a par with a 2015 spec Tesla S 85D in terms of acceleration, range and charging times. The latest 2019 "Raven" spec Tesla S is quicker, lighter, faster charging, far cheaper and more practical. And this is a car fast approaching the end of its product cycle, having been released way back in 2012.

What I see here is a potentially very nice, but VERY expensive unicorn with a drivetrain performance and battery roughly equivalent to a 5 year old Tesla. So until these £80k base models eventually arrive (I'm thinking several years here for UK delivery) I don't think it is going to change anything other than perhaps introduce the inherent benefits of EVs to those willing to fork out £150k or whatever for these top end versions. Assuming you can even realistically get hold of one.

Back in the real world my Tesla M3P should be arriving later this month, which is just a fraction slower than the Taycan Turbo for bang on £50k on the road. But it does have more range and slightly quicker charging times. I think this will be far more of a game changer for a LOT more people. I'm already starting to see them on the road. I don't expect to see a Taycan in the wild anytime soon.
happy days

Post by happy days »

Interesting take Peteski. It would be great to hear independent testers doing back to back tests in the real world.
Macan S D
718 S
Deleted User 1874

happy days wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:47 pm Interesting take Peteski. It would be great to hear independent testers doing back to back tests in the real world.
Yeah, I'm not trying to be negative and it's great to see new high performance EVs [finally] arriving on the scene. Just trying to put all the hype into some perspective. Plus I'm not convinced this is a car you can actually walk into your local dealership and buy unless you are in the Porsche clique. At least not in 2019/20. If it was and sensibly priced I would be far more likely to buy one than probably 99% of the guys on this forum as I'm already very much an EV convert and a very long time Porsche fan.
happy days

Post by happy days »

Peteski wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:27 pm
happy days wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:47 pm Interesting take Peteski. It would be great to hear independent testers doing back to back tests in the real world.
Yeah, I'm not trying to be negative and it's great to see new high performance EVs [finally] arriving on the scene. Just trying to put all the hype into some perspective. Plus I'm not convinced this is a car you can actually walk into your local dealership and buy unless you are in the Porsche clique. At least not in 2019/20. If it was and sensibly priced I would be far more likely to buy one than probably 99% of the guys on this forum as I'm already very much an EV convert and a very long time Porsche fan.
Yes. I have been very interested in your views on BEVs for a few years now. My pal has just bought an iPace and is very impressed with the drive train. I drove a Cayenne hybrid for the first time last week too which was nice in e-mode. Our McCann SD is approaching 3 years old now and we're hanging on to it because there's no viable alternative Porsche option (where we live where 99.999% of cars are Diesels, so the resale market for a petrol SUV is woeful). Until Porsche bring out a BEV McCann, I'll probably just wait. Mind you, the early ones will probably be the eye-watering turbo S priced ones initially, and as you say, available to the GT club only.
Macan S D
718 S
Deleted User 1874

Wing Commander wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:46 am
From seeing images online, I think the option for a coloured dial is to do with the Sports Chrono 'clock' if specified. I think I've seen an image of a Sports Chrono clock with what looks like some kind of wood inlay... :?
The sports chrono clock bollocks ought to be kicked into room 101 at this juncture. It really does not belong in this car. Might as well have an option for a carriage clock! Please tell me you don't seriously have to spec this pointless feature to unlock all the performance?
Deleted User 1874

happy days wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:34 pm
Peteski wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:27 pm
Yes. I have been very interested in your views on BEVs for a few years now. My pal has just bought an iPace and is very impressed with the drive train. I drove a Cayenne hybrid for the first time last week too which was nice in e-mode. Our McCann SD is approaching 3 years old now and we're hanging on to it because there's no viable alternative Porsche option (where we live where 99.999% of cars are Diesels, so the resale market for a petrol SUV is woeful). Until Porsche bring out a BEV McCann, I'll probably just wait. Mind you, the early ones will probably be the eye-watering turbo S priced ones initially, and as you say, available to the GT club only.
Cheers, I can't wait to see a Macan or Cayenne BEV. That would be right up my street to potentially replace our Model X in 2022. But for now I'm still a big Tesla fanboy as they are actually available with precious little to compare. It's been a long wait for the Model 3 to make it over from the US, but it's now very much here and still there is no direct competitor you can actually drive today. Certainly not in the top end performance spec. iPace is nice and has its own little niche in the EV market, but it just lost out on the Autocar review against the M3P. Slightly odd comparison I thought but what else can you compare when there is so little on the market?
VanB

Post by VanB »

Tesla have had the market to themselves for some time and good on them for being the disrupters that they are. I think we will likely see a whole raft of BEVs from mainstream manufacturers hitting the market over the next couple of years and they may find it difficuot to hold on to their near monopoly position.

I have already said that I wouldnt buy a first edition Taycan until we know what the gremlins are but it is certainly a lot more handsome than anything else currently on the market (apart from the price). I find it interesting that Tesla have drastically reduced the price of some of their models which, I assume, is to gain more market share in advance of viable competition hitting the market.

I really enjoy the way a BEV drives and think the technology is really clever but I still have my doubts about how the infrastructure is going to develop.

As a final thought I doubt that the iPace, eTron, Taycan and others coming to the market would exist if it hadn't been for Tesla so, again, good on them!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Red5

Post by Red5 »

Wing Commander wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:46 am Hi Red5,

P.S. I do like the option of the non-leather seats/interior. Very happy with my Sport Tex seats and in the future, I'd specify them in preference to traditional 'luxury' leather seats.

Cheers,
So it is an actual dial, I see that now :geek:
The fact that is attached to a Chrono thingy, seem actually worse in some ways!
I wonder if that will come with clever battery mounts, for all that turbo power?

Sports Tex is ok, but I wish there was a houndstooth fabric option.

I guess they’re going to tie up that wealthy vegan market :lol: