The start of goodbye

The place to discuss everything else..
johnd

Post by johnd »

The deed is done! I now have a Q3 Sportback 45 TFSI Vorsprung (quattro - as they all are) on order with a p/e deal agreed for my 2016 Macan SD. Delivery expected in 8-10 weeks and discount + p/e valuation both acceptable.

The Macan has been an excellent car, but more and more I've wanted something a little lighter and smaller, while still being a compact SUV type and - bowing to the inevitable - petrol powered. Sadly Porsche make nothing smaller (as an SUV/crossover) than the Macan otherwise I would certainly have opted for that, but the Q3 SB is the next best alternative I can identify. Biggest compromise will probably be in performance though the 45 TFSI should have the edge on a 2l Macan. If all is well with the Q3 then I may well migrate to the RSQ3 in due course, as and when it makes an appearance.

If anyone's interested, the biggest challenge has been working through the new VAG policy of bundling options into discrete trim levels. I decided that I wanted the black styling pack (to de-emphasise the outsize standard Q3 chrome grille) which immediately limited me to Edition 1 or Vorsprung trims, both of which have no option but 20" wheels! Then the only trim with adaptive dampers is Vorsprung, which brings with it other options (and a higher price of course) that I wouldn't necessarily have selected. But I suspect it's a trend that is going to be increasingly common.

I'm sure I'll continue to look in here from time to time. Thanks for all the information & entertainment over the past few years.
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly

Semerka

Post by Semerka »

johnd wrote: ↑Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:36 am The deed is done! I now have a Q3 Sportback 45 TFSI Vorsprung (quattro - as they all are) on order with a p/e deal agreed for my 2016 Macan SD. Delivery expected in 8-10 weeks and discount + p/e valuation both acceptable.

The Macan has been an excellent car, but more and more I've wanted something a little lighter and smaller, while still being a compact SUV type and - bowing to the inevitable - petrol powered. Sadly Porsche make nothing smaller (as an SUV/crossover) than the Macan otherwise I would certainly have opted for that, but the Q3 SB is the next best alternative I can identify. Biggest compromise will probably be in performance though the 45 TFSI should have the edge on a 2l Macan. If all is well with the Q3 then I may well migrate to the RSQ3 in due course, as and when it makes an appearance.

If anyone's interested, the biggest challenge has been working through the new VAG policy of bundling options into discrete trim levels. I decided that I wanted the black styling pack (to de-emphasise the outsize standard Q3 chrome grille) which immediately limited me to Edition 1 or Vorsprung trims, both of which have no option but 20" wheels! Then the only trim with adaptive dampers is Vorsprung, which brings with it other options (and a higher price of course) that I wouldn't necessarily have selected. But I suspect it's a trend that is going to be increasingly common.

I'm sure I'll continue to look in here from time to time. Thanks for all the information & entertainment over the past few years.
So the selection process is over! 8-)
I can empathize with you on the size and the weight of the Macan, I too wanted something smaller in the end, but could go for the less practical offering from Porsche as we never really have passengers in the rear seats.

The "options packs" that most manufacturers introduced into their confuserators are really irritating.

Hopefully you will like your baby SUV as much as you like the Macan. :)
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
pmg

Post by pmg »

You have benn through similar thought processes to my own when I was looking at a Q3 as an alternative to my eventual Macan S purchase. unfortunately, a Q3 45 was not an achievable test drive in early winter 2018 for delivery for March /April 2019. I am in agreement about "packs" whose absence from attracted me towards the larger Macan (and also away from BMW).

Do please report here on how you find the Q3 as I suspect many will be interested.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
paulmac

Post by paulmac »

I also considered the various Q3 options but eventually decided that Audi involved too many compromises for me so take delivery of a 2l next week.

Paul
Current : Macan Gen2
Current : Cayman 981
Paul

Post by Paul »

I was (am) waiting for the SQ3 for Mrs P’s next car (300 bhp I assume) rather than the full-on RS version, although she is quite taken by the Mini Clubman JCW.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
johnd

Post by johnd »

Paul wrote: ↑Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:08 pm I was (am) waiting for the SQ3 for Mrs P’s next car (300 bhp I assume) rather than the full-on RS version...
I'd have much preferred the SQ3 version too, but while the RSQ3 definitely seems to be happening (maybe next Easter?) I've not seen any real sign that there will be an SQ3. This may be relevant:

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-frankfurt-motor-show/audi-cuts-product-portfolio-nearly-third

(I hope I'm wrong, but the SQ3 seems to be being kept very quiet if it is coming!)
Last edited by johnd on Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Real mpg at Fuelly
Paul

Post by Paul »

(..or a Cupra Ateca.....πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ˜‰)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
johnd

Post by johnd »

Paul wrote: ↑Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:45 pm (..or a Cupra Ateca.....πŸ˜³πŸ˜³πŸ˜‰)
Yes, it's another good option that I did think seriously about but the interior is a bit low rent (eg no electric seats - in the UK at least) and the infotainment is maybe two generations old now (relative to the new Q3 one). Good value though.

Real mpg at Fuelly
johnd

Post by johnd »

My new Q3 SB 45 TFSI should have been built last week (Wk 44) - no confirmation though as yet. Projected 4-6 weeks delivery time from factory in Hungary, hopefully at the 4 week end but we'll see. At least there would seem to be no Brexit complications.

Real mpg at Fuelly
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

Just to add another option - VW T-ROC R - small SUV with Golf R motor just like the Cupra Ateca. Also X2 M35i looks like a tasty alternative too.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S