911 Brake Vibration

The place to discuss everything else..
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:51 am
Rab J wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:46 pm Glad to hear you got things sorted Nick. Brake issues aren't nice and can spoil things quickly. Luckily 🤞 I haven't any such issues with mine yet but then I've only 5k on it so far. At what mileage did you first notice the vibration?
Around 6k Rab. It's on 12k now.
Thanks Nick, so I'm coming up to the danger zone as far as your car was concerned although from experience brake issues can appear at any millage
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50

VanB

Post by VanB »

20k miles and so far no issues (touch wood). I wonder if you low mileage users are creating a different type of strain on vehicle components by under-using them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

There’s certainly an argument for regularly using cars to keep them in good shape. They keep telling me that at the OPC!

The main warnings for brakes though seem to be not holding the pedal on very hot discs with the car stopped, likewise the parking brake onto hot discs or onto cold wet discs, say in the garage after washing. I’ve always been aware of these things and have tried to avoid them whenever possible.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
VanB

Post by VanB »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:16 pm There’s certainly an argument for regularly using cars to keep them in good shape. They keep telling me that at the OPC!

The main warnings for brakes though seem to be not holding the pedal on very hot discs with the car stopped, likewise the parking brake onto hot discs or onto cold wet discs, say in the garage after washing. I’ve always been aware of these things and have tried to avoid them whenever possible.
They will tell you that at the OPC until you want to trade it when they will tell you it’s “high mileage” .
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:16 pm There’s certainly an argument for regularly using cars to keep them in good shape. They keep telling me that at the OPC!

Yes I agree - I always leave the handbrake off when parking in the garage as it is noticeable how they can stick when wet/hot, if there is going to be a light oxidation when I start up next time seems better it is uniform on the disk.. Sometimes I just leave the handbrake off anyhow but that another story :x
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I practice all of the above. Never wash a warm car, always run the car after washing to dry the brakes, no handbrake on in the garage and run it all year round when weather conditions allow. So far so good.
Having said that how many cars get washed by the local hand wash folks with warm brakes and no issues. Maybe the more competition orientated brakes on a Porsche are more temperamental than the common or garden version on my run about 4x4
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50