Points and insurance rates

The place to discuss everything else..
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

My wife got 6 points on her license for reading email, while standing still in a traffic queue behind major roadworks. This increased my insurance premium by £490, for our two cars - Porsche and BMW.

Isn’t 6 points excessive?

Should I start shopping for another insurance?

I want her to drive my car when she wants to, so taking her off the list is not an option.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

No, not excessive, it's the law: https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law

You could get other quotes come renewal time, but obviously you'll have to declare the offence, and decide which company has the best offer for you at the time. Insurance companies take differing views on these things.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
MacanArif

Post by MacanArif »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:48 am No, not excessive, it's the law: https://www.gov.uk/using-mobile-phones-when-driving-the-law

You could get other quotes come renewal time, but obviously you'll have to declare the offence, and decide which company has the best offer for you at the time. Insurance companies take differing views on these things.
Agree - absolutely the right penalty, nobody should be anywhere near a phone whilst driving. I've seen so many people driving erratically because they're using a phone at the wheel. They will take your phone away if you're involved in an accident to make sure you weren't using it.

With regards to insurance you'll just have to shop around, it pays to spend some time searching rather than just going with the renewal.
Current:
992 Turbo (July 23)
MG4 EV Trophy Long Range
VW Caravelle 6.1 4motion DSG
Suzuki Swift Sport

Previous Macan SD, Macan Turbo, Macan Turbo, 991.1 C4GTS coupe, 996 C4S coupe, Macan Turbo, 991.2 C4GTS coupe; 991.2 GT3; 992 C2S; 991.1 Turbo S
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I always seem to have points on my license..... always for speeding :oops: :oops: :oops:

In the past when Insurance company has increased my premium I just move to a different Insurer and get the premium back down.

Good luck. :D :D
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Thanks all, law is the law... I must shop around.
For the record she was standing still at the roadworks. She drives very carefully, I don’t recall her getting a traffic fine, ever. There is always a first time.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

There seems to be a very fine line, in how they deal with the law. I'm sure we've all seen someone parked up at the side of the road, dealing with a phone call. That seems to be ok. But some of the places where parked are just as bad.
Shop around for the insurance, there will always be a company that will be a little more sympathetic, as they want your custom, and money.
pmg

Post by pmg »

Is not the crucial item re whether an offence has technically been committed, is whether the engine is running or not? If the police are using something like a camera for evidence, that must give "Mr Loophole" scope.

Prosecutors and the police need to apply common sense if no danger involved else they lose the respect the need in the long term to operate.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I always feel that there is a lot of luck or bad luck in getting points on your license.

I also feel that a lot of police like to stop "posh cars". Perhaps we are more likely to just pay the fine.
andreas

Post by andreas »

pmg wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:48 am
Prosecutors and the police need to apply common sense if no danger involved else they lose the respect the need in the long term to operate.
They lost the respect long ago. Policing has become a quest for the easiest targets and the most lucrative fines.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

andreas wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:58 pm
pmg wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:48 am
They lost the respect long ago. Policing has become a quest for the easiest targets and the most lucrative fines.
Have to agree with that .....unfortunately :(