Car dryer went bang!!

The place to discuss everything else..
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Tracky wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:52 pm
MCDK wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:47 pm It’s a brilliant tool. Blow dries the car so no damage
Is caused by drying it off. Also gets all the drips and runs out of crevices and mirror etc. Wouldn’t be without one.
So a big hair dryer ?
Yes pretty much. Essentially they are pet dryers that groomers use but there are also items more marketed towards the car sector but essentially they are all the same thing.

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

MCDK wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:06 pm Thanks guys. It isn’t out of the question that it could have got wet as it kinda gets pulled along the floor as I work on the car. Will try the extension lead first and see but pretty sure it’s the dryer. As you say to blow the main trip for the house it’s a pretty big fault. I did see a slight nick in the cable which could also be part of the issue or maybe some water got in there. Would it be a decent test to cut the cable just before the nick and fit a new plug to see if that helps? It’s pretty near the end of the cable so won’t lose too much cable trying that.

Also temped by a new more powerful one so that thought will likely win although need to be sure this one is scrap first.
If it isn’t the extension lead or a wiring fault in the plug it might be worth a try. If the damaged cable is the problem you might see signs of electrical discharge there, burning or melting of the plastic or you might be able to see the issue if you flex the cable at that point.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Guy

Post by Guy »

It's worth checking that your consumer unit has a RCD (rather than a simple circuit breaker) if you are using portable appliances outside (especially when wet!). An RCD is designed to protect life, rather than a circuit breaker which basically protects the wiring. My house doesn't have RCDs, so I make use of a plug in RCD whenever using electricity outside.

EDIT: See here: https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guidance/safety-around-the-home/rcds-explained/
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I was going to suggest just that if it was a sealed plug. Not that easy getting a plug these days though. I have a box of old ones I've cut off things for just this eventuality.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Rab J wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:14 pm I was going to suggest just that if it was a sealed plug. Not that easy getting a plug these days though. I have a box of old ones I've cut off things for just this eventuality.
I hope you’ve removed the wiring from those ‘cut off’ plugs. Always gives me the skits seeing bare end cable sticking out of a plug. If say, a child, got hold of one and plugged it in and switched on there could be a very dangerous live conductor exposed!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Thanks for all the suggestions. Cut off 6 inches of cable and fitted a new plug and hey presto it’s working!!

My house and garage have RCD all wired in to the distribution boxes as they are recent builds but guess it would do no harm to use a portable RCD where I plug in the extension lead. It’s all used inside but there can be some puddles on the floor where the water has dropped off the car or is the portable device not needed due to the RCD on the boards.
Guy

Post by Guy »

MCDK wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:41 pm Thanks for all the suggestions. Cut off 6 inches of cable and fitted a new plug and hey presto it’s working!!

My house and garage have RCD all wired in to the distribution boxes as they are recent builds but guess it would do no harm to use a portable RCD where I plug in the extension lead. It’s all used inside but there can be some puddles on the floor where the water has dropped off the car or is the portable device not needed due to the RCD on the boards.
A second 'plug-in' RCD is not essential in this case, but if you used a relatively sensitive plug-in one it should trip first, thereby preventing the power to the rest of the house being tripped.
Tracky

Post by Tracky »

MCDK wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:04 pm
MCDK wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:47 pm It’s a brilliant tool. Blow dries the car so no damage
Is caused by drying it off. Also gets all the drips and runs out of crevices and mirror etc. Wouldn’t be without one.
So a big hair dryer ?
Yes pretty much. Essentially they are pet dryers that groomers use but there are also items more marketed towards the car sector but essentially they are all the same thing.
Never really heard of them

Must take ages !
On order

GT4 RS

Current

992 S
Macan.2 S
928S4
Modified Lotus Exige V6
Seat Ibiza 1.0 (115ps) DSG Excellence Lux(dog’s!)
Jag Mk2 3.4

Ex

981 Boxster S
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:30 pm
Rab J wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:14 pm I was going to suggest just that if it was a sealed plug. Not that easy getting a plug these days though. I have a box of old ones I've cut off things for just this eventuality.
I hope you’ve removed the wiring from those ‘cut off’ plugs. Always gives me the skits seeing bare end cable sticking out of a plug. If say, a child, got hold of one and plugged it in and switched on there could be a very dangerous live conductor exposed!
"Cut off" is probably a bit of a loose term Nick. Actually opened, checked, and all wiring removed to be safe before storage in a sealed electrical plastic bin. Blame that on years working for the Japanese with their risk assessment focus.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Tracky wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:00 pm
MCDK wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:04 pm

So a big hair dryer ?
Never really heard of them

Must take ages !
No doesn't take that long. Can dry a car and wheels in about 20 mins. This includes spending a good bit of time around mirrors and all the other cracks and crevices where drips can appear from. It also warms the air which helps with drying. Takes about the same time with a drying towel but it can cause damage whereas the warm air doesn't.