Car dryer went bang!!

The place to discuss everything else..
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

All working good now which is great ........ Except having spent last night researching new dryers I'm not tempted to upgrade.

Anyone interested in an Aeolus Pet Dryer in perfect working order??

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Rab J wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:07 pm
Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:30 pm
Rab J wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:14 pm I was going to suggest just that if it was a sealed plug. Not that easy getting a plug these days though. I have a box of old ones I've cut off things for just this eventuality.
I hope you’ve removed the wiring from those ‘cut off’ plugs. Always gives me the skits seeing bare end cable sticking out of a plug. If say, a child, got hold of one and plugged it in and switched on there could be a very dangerous live conductor exposed!
"Cut off" is probably a bit of a loose term Nick. Actually opened, checked, and all wiring removed to be safe before storage in a sealed electrical plastic bin. Blame that on years working for the Japanese with their risk assessment focus.
:D
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
adam b

Post by adam b »

MCDK wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:22 pm Anyone interested in an Aeolus Pet Dryer in perfect working order??
maybe advertise it in the for sale section rather than on the same thread where you describe it blowing up :D
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

Only it didn’t blow up of course Adam if you read the full story. I’m not hiding anything.
rydercowan

Post by rydercowan »

Guy wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:34 pm
MCDK wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:41 pm Thanks for all the suggestions. Cut off 6 inches of cable and fitted a new plug and hey presto it’s working!!

My house and garage have RCD all wired in to the distribution boxes as they are recent builds but guess it would do no harm to use a portable RCD where I plug in the extension lead. It’s all used inside but there can be some puddles on the floor where the water has dropped off the car or is the portable device not needed due to the RCD on the boards.
A second 'plug-in' RCD is not essential in this case, but if you used a relatively sensitive plug-in one it should trip first, thereby preventing the power to the rest of the house being tripped.
Modern practice appears to be combined RCD and MCB. Each circuit then has its own individual RCD. Retrofitting combined MCBs to an existing consumer unit is straightforward and we upgraded last year. Knowing of someone who lost their life using a pressure washer without an RCD I'd never use anything electrical outside near water if it wasn't RCD protected.
pmg

Post by pmg »

rydercowan wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:59 pm
Guy wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:34 pm
MCDK wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:41 pm Thanks for all the suggestions. Cut off 6 inches of cable and fitted a new plug and hey presto it’s working!!

My house and garage have RCD all wired in to the distribution boxes as they are recent builds but guess it would do no harm to use a portable RCD where I plug in the extension lead. It’s all used inside but there can be some puddles on the floor where the water has dropped off the car or is the portable device not needed due to the RCD on the boards.
A second 'plug-in' RCD is not essential in this case, but if you used a relatively sensitive plug-in one it should trip first, thereby preventing the power to the rest of the house being tripped.
Modern practice appears to be combined RCD and MCB. Each circuit then has its own individual RCD. Retrofitting combined MCBs to an existing consumer unit is straightforward and we upgraded last year. Knowing of someone who lost their life using a pressure washer without an RCD I'd never use anything electrical outside near water if it wasn't RCD protected.
combined RCD and MCD's are called RCBO's and provided all of “over load+short circuit+leakage protection”.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

MCDK wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:32 pm Only it didn’t blow up of course Adam if you read the full story. I’m not hiding anything.
Well, that is with the exception of the 6” of cable and the original plug 🤨😂😂
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
Current
2020. Macan GTS crayon
2024. Macan GTS gentian sometime this year https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

MikeM wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:21 am
MCDK wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:32 pm Only it didn’t blow up of course Adam if you read the full story. I’m not hiding anything.
Well, that is with the exception of the 6” of cable and the original plug 🤨😂😂
Those bits are in the bin :lol: