How much ?

The place to discuss everything else..
Taz

Post by Taz »

I won’t spoil it by telling you, but if you think buying a Porsche is expensive then watch this ...

So when is this ‘old enough to know better’ supposed to kick in ?

Cayenne GTS - Mar 2022
Cayenne S - Aug 2019 to Mar 2022
Macan Turbo - Feb 2018 to Aug 2019
Cayenne S - Apr 2015 to Feb 2018
Cayenne - Jul 2013 - Apr 2015
BMW R1250GS - since Dec 2021

Panthera

Post by Panthera »

Thoroughly enjoyed that - a real world review of driving an EV. Really highlights that for non-Tesla drivers the charging infrastructure in the UK is appalling. And Ionity now charging 69p per KWH is a joke - makes it more expensive that petrol! Shame Teslas are so pug-ugly.

Just goes to show that EV's are great for trips from home up to say a 70 mile radius but anything more, especially long motorway journeys then ICE is still the best option.

The Merc 350 GLEde seems like a good compromise given it has a 60 mile EV only range plus a punchy diesel motor for longer journeys. With the added bonus that you only ever need to charge at home.

Hmmm, think I'll will stick with my Macan SD for a while yet :)
Ray :geek:
Macan SD
Rhodium Silver, 21” Wheels on Air, ACC, Pano Sunroof, 14way Seats, 4x Heated and Steering, Reversing Cam, Spare Wheel, Privacy Glass, PDK Gears, Folding Mirrors,
johnd

Post by johnd »

Panthera wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:31 pm Thoroughly enjoyed that - a real world review of driving an EV. Really highlights that for non-Tesla drivers the charging infrastructure in the UK is appalling. And Ionity now charging 69p per KWH is a joke - makes it more expensive that petrol!
Well, yes and no. What it actually demonstrates is that even accomplished motoring journalists can't just jump in an EV and assume that they know it all. Driving an EV needs a modicum of EV experience. For instance, EVs are at their most efficient on shorter or lower speed trips and less so as speed increases, which is obviously the reverse way round to fossil cars. Not a big deal, but just something to get accustomed to and interpret the stated range accordingly.

Ecotricity is well-known to run unreliable fast chargers (though apparently a major update is under way). Several owners on the I-Pace forum wouldn't go near an Ecotricity charger. The general point is well-made that the UK fast charger network needs simplification and more coordination in its payment methods, but at the same time it's far from unusable as 'tests' like this purport to suggest.

And Ionity users in future are much more likely to be paying 25p or 35p a kWh than 69p (Ionity being largely supported by the big German car makers who want to give their own makes more priority in access to these chargers, a la Tesla).
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly
Paul

Post by Paul »

My take on the video was probably to confirm what I had already suspected; I will get an electric car, just not today.

He confirms that for running around the EV is fine (he describes being (“ tethered” to his house on a 90 mile radius) which also describes 75% of my own use. But the current “away from home” charging is inadequate today.

I was driven around in a Tesla 3 the other day. Fantastic means of transport, the Nav takes you from supercharger to supercharger (not necessarily the quickest route along with the inevitable 20 minute wait) but we will all eventually be forced down this route. That’s why I’m getting a loud shouty 911 while I still can 😊
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

johnd wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:22 pm
Panthera wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:31 pm Thoroughly enjoyed that - a real world review of driving an EV. Really highlights that for non-Tesla drivers the charging infrastructure in the UK is appalling. And Ionity now charging 69p per KWH is a joke - makes it more expensive that petrol!
EVs are at their most efficient on shorter or lower speed trips and less so as speed increases, which is obviously the reverse way round to fossil cars.
Please could you explain this John? It may be just my misunderstanding of your use of the word 'efficient' in this context. Do you mean 'utilisation' in the sense of recharging v refuelling over longer distances?
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
neilj007

Post by neilj007 »

One of my regular journeys is from near Chippenham to Long Ashton, Bristol, A350, M4, M32 then through Bristol.
Motorway travel drinks the juice, whereas round town, the regenerative braking means you can quite easily travel without using any range, the battery being topped up as you slow down for traffic lights and traffic

I fact, from the Bath junction right through to Long Ashton, I can travel without using any juice...it becomes a competition with yourself to see how little you can use.
Macan
Taycan Turbo
Paul

Post by Paul »

😱
(Long Ashton! Small world! Business or family? If you don’t mind me asking?)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
neilj007

Post by neilj007 »

Business...
Macan
Taycan Turbo
Panthera

Post by Panthera »

johnd wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:22 pm And Ionity users in future are much more likely to be paying 25p or 35p a kWh than 69p (Ionity being largely supported by the big German car makers who want to give their own makes more priority in access to these chargers, a la Tesla).
If you're signed up to the related Manufacturer scheme then yes, the cost of Ionity chargers is in line with Tesla but if you rock up in your EV Volvo you have to pay the full whack.
Ray :geek:
Macan SD
Rhodium Silver, 21” Wheels on Air, ACC, Pano Sunroof, 14way Seats, 4x Heated and Steering, Reversing Cam, Spare Wheel, Privacy Glass, PDK Gears, Folding Mirrors,
johnd

Post by johnd »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:19 am It may be just my misunderstanding of your use of the word 'efficient' in this context. Do you mean 'utilisation' in the sense of recharging v refuelling over longer distances?
Just the usual meaning of the word really - efficiency as in mpg or (for EVs) Wh/mile (often expressed as kWh/100 miles) - how far the car will go for a given unit of energy. For shorter journeys, fossil cars are often starting from cold with initially horrendous mpg figures plus a lot of stop/start or driving in low gears around town. Then consumption gets markedly better up to a point (say 50mph) as the engine gets hot and the car can settle down into a steady longer-legged gait.

In contrast, BEVs give you close to optimum consumption from the word go on shorter journeys (OK there's a second order effect to do with battery temperature and other factors, but it's generally fairly small) and when the car is stopped at TL etc consumption really is minimal. But as speed increases in the BEV then the increased consumption (decreased efficiency) becomes more prominent as the basic rules of aerodynamics, rolling resistance (especially on wet roads) etc make their mark.

Sorry, but you probably knew all that already. Maybe I didn't address the question somehow?
Macan SD (Rhodium) www.porsche-code.com/PH4H6XU3 June 2016

Real mpg at Fuelly