I’ll second that!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA

Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Hi Paul. Just curious to see how things are going in the Porsche world. Tesla still going strong, very much EV present and future for me. Wife still hates her diesel but doesn't drive enough to be bothered changing it for an EV yet.

Video was interesting although didn't learn anything new. EVs are great providing you have home charging, otherwise very inconvenient. But I would say a lot of people who would potentially benefit from an EV are still oblivious to their advantages, although the mood is slowly changing.

E-bikes are a good thing as they make cycling very accessible to non-cyclists and add a new dimension to mountain biking. Personally though I prefer to use only my own engine for cycling, but then I'm a keen road/mountain cyclist so much fitter than average. If I was overweight and starting from scratch then an e-bike would be the ideal solution.
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

I currently ride a hard tail MTB, mostly in the woods, so I definitely want a full suspension and e-motor would be advantageous climbing hills.

The other day I went to bicycle shop and I took Merida eMTB with Shimano motor and Focus eMTB with Bosch motor for a test ride. Both were great up to 15 mph, then boom!? Above 15mph it feels like riding with a handbrake on! On a normal road, I ride faster on my analogue bike!

So, for now I am cured, I will stick with my hard tail, until I find something more appealing. It turns out that having a Ducati, restricted to 15mph would be rather underwhelming. Ducati bikes are made by THOC, a good eMTB maker, so Ducati chose a partner well, but the regulatory restrictions render the motor as useful as t1t5 on a bull, at least in my case.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Deleted User 1874

The idea is that the motor just helps you up the steep climbs. Not much use on flat and a bit of a disadvantage on downhills.

Why not just buy a really nice full suss mtb? I currently have a Canyon Neuron with Factory spec Fox suspension, carbon frame and wheels. 130 mm travel at both ends. 12 vs 20+ kg for equivalent e-mtb. Flies around single track trails and almost as good as my 160 mm travel Spesh Enduro on steep downhills.

I would only consider an e-mtb if I lived somewhere with mountains and full on DH trails.
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

I tend to agree, I am gravitating to full suspension MTB with no motor.

As long as I can hold the pace with the youngsters, analogue MTB gives me a good workout.
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

So, I have gone to the dark side and I got me an eMTB. Ducati MIG-S is an absolute blast! All my concerns have evaporated, as I found alt solutions.

The eMTB is being used regularly, as I am improving my general health. Something good has to come out of this dreadful pandemic situation!

For some reason I cannot post a picture (from my mobile), will have to do it later.
TheTraveller

Post by TheTraveller »

If you're not an experienced biker, and maybe having a few years behind you, then an ebike would suit better. Even more so if there are plenty of hills to navigate. On a flatter area, a normal Hard Tail Mtb would suit fine. When you've got plenty of miles behind you, having something quicker may be wished. I'm sure everyone on here, is a bit of a speed nut at heart (we've got the cars for it). And the exhilaration experienced, when dancing on those pedals, on a road/racing bike is something else. I've had well above 50mph out of my road bike, (going down hills, may I add). And then you're part of a whole new world.
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

Funny you say that, I do have a Merida Big Nine hard-tail, which I enjoy riding on even surface. However, in the woods, the hard-tail is rather hard on an ageing spine.

So, I decided to get a full suspension MTB for riding off-road trails in the New Forest. Now, good bikes are mostly sold-out, as with lock-down many people are more health conscious. And for a slightly higher price one can get an eMTB. These are mostly sold-out in my area as well, so I bought it over the interwebs.

Some people say it’s cheating, others say it’s unfair advantage, ... whatever. It is a diff discipline and everybody that I lend my bike to... wants one 😎
Deleted User 1874

Pivot wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:05 pm Funny you say that, I do have a Merida Big Nine hard-tail, which I enjoy riding on even surface. However, in the woods, the hard-tail is rather hard on an ageing spine.

So, I decided to get a full suspension MTB for riding off-road trails in the New Forest. Now, good bikes are mostly sold-out, as with lock-down many people are more health conscious. And for a slightly higher price one can get an eMTB. These are mostly sold-out in my area as well, so I bought it over the interwebs.

Some people say it’s cheating, others say it’s unfair advantage, ... whatever. It is a diff discipline and everybody that I lend my bike to... wants one 😎
Nice one Pivot!

There are now so many types of bike for off road use that it just comes down to personal preference and how you want to ride. There is everything from lightweight road frame based "gravel" bikes through to 180 mm travel full suss enduro eMTBs to choose from. I'm with you on going full suspension. I haven't ridden a hardtail for a very long time. I spent many years riding 150-160 mm travel full suss enduro bikes and have recently dialled it back slightly to lighter 130 mm travel trail bikes - mainly because I'm riding more with the kids and on local trails that simply don't need any more travel. I don't have an eMTB myself, but both my daughters do and they love them!

I'm seeing a lot more "gravel" bikes around on local trails too. They seem to be getting very popular with roadies venturing into the woods away from the ever increasing traffic. I'm a roadie too, but still much prefer a full-suss MTB for anything beyond the tamest of forest fire road. I'm sure I'll get an eMTB at some point in the future too. They look like a ton of fun for blasting around forest trails.