Battery charging whilst key in ignition

The place to discuss everything else..
jamundo86

Post by jamundo86 »

Hi all - does anyone know if there's any issues charging the battery whilst the key is in the ignition at all?

Storing my Cayman 987.2 at a parents and despite saying don't try to start the car before the battery is charged up, they have and the key is locked in the ignition. The key can be removed with a bit of fiddling but I don't trust them to do it so wondering if there's any issue charging the battery via the cig lighter whilst the key is in? Can't seem to find an answer online!

TIA, James

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Can’t think of a reason, as long as you don’t plan on using some sort of high current fast charger. The alternator charges at volts up to 15 or thereabouts with the key in and I’d imagine a smart charger would be doing the same, or less, to limit the current to a few amps. It would be a similar situation if you were using jump leads from a donor car with the engine running (as it should be).
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
MikeM

Post by MikeM »

jamundo86 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:01 pm Hi all - does anyone know if there's any issues charging the battery whilst the key is in the ignition at all?

Storing my Cayman 987.2 at a parents and despite saying don't try to start the car before the battery is charged up, they have and the key is locked in the ignition. The key can be removed with a bit of fiddling but I don't trust them to do it so wondering if there's any issue charging the battery via the cig lighter whilst the key is in? Can't seem to find an answer online!

TIA, James
why do you need to leave the key in the ignition 🤔
Previous Porsche’s
2008. 987 Boxster S Sport basalt
2012. 991 Carrera S aqua
2016. Macan Turbo volcano
2020. Macan GTS crayon (sold 04/24)
Awaiting delivery
2024. Macan GTS gentian. mid May https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR8H7WC6
jamundo86

Post by jamundo86 »

Cheers guys. Was just wondering if it was safe to charge up before I get round there tomorrow to remove the key. Should be charged up in time now its on charge so good news 😀
RAA

Post by RAA »

Now that I have a CTEK MXS 5.0 battery charger, after connecting via the 12v socket in the boot, I put the key fob in the ignition and turn it clockwise to position 1, then anti-clockwise and remove it. The battery charger then starts to do its job, and the car (a 2019 Macan S) can be locked and left indefinitely.