All-season tyres commentary

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Tyre Trade Press article:

DACH region auto clubs not convinced by all-season products in tyre test
Date: 14th August 2020
Author: Andrew Bogie

The Vredestein and Bridgestone models did not convince the testers on snow, with performance classified as not recommended in this sub-discipline (source: ÖAMTC / Wolfgang Grube)
Germanophone auto clubs, ADAC, the Austrian Automobile, Motorcycle and Touring Club (ÖAMTC) and the Touring Club Switzerland (TCS) have presented the results of their joint all-season tyre test. Despite the rising popularity of all-season tyres in European markets, the clubs did not recommend any of the seven tyres in the test without condition. The tyres were tested in size 235/55R17 103V/Y using a Ford Kuga as an exemplifier of heavier, larger SUVs, which are themselves increasing in popularity throughout Western Europe. Such vehicles are also amongst those most likely to fit all-season products. Tyres tested were Bridgestone’s Weather Control A005, Conti’s AllSeasonContact, Goodyear’s Vector 4Seasons Gen-2, Michelin’s CrossClimate +, Nokian’s Weatherproof, Uniroyal’s AllSeasonExpert 2, and Vredestein’s Quatrac Pro. The publication of the test was delayed from its original planned publication date in April due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Interesting Steve. Is this saying that, while the Vredestein and Bridgestone versions were not recommended, the others were? Elsewhere I've seen favourable comment on Conti and Michelin As's, but AFAIK, Porsche haven't approved any of the latest all season tyres for the Macan.

Recently I was casting an eye over the new Aston Martin DBX at the local DL dealership and I noted that it was fitted with all seasons, but don't recall what make they were, probably because there's close to zero chance of me owning one!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

This mid-EU body comprising Austria, Germany and Switzerland - did not unconditionally approve any of these brands and patterns as listed.
".....clubs did not recommend any of the seven tyres in the test without condition."
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
pmg

Post by pmg »

I suspect non approval by Porsche of a current all season tyre is more to do with the commercial gain on selling a separate winter wheel set than judgement on the actual tyres.

The Independent test sights, like tyrereviews.com, show the differences in performance between the different types in different conditions. The issue I have I that with climate change weather within the the defined seasons is getting more variable, with "summer temps" often present in a previously temperate winter climate like ours. Finland has recently received heavy snow more often in late spring when they permit use of summer tyres. With such variations a modern snowflake approved all season like Cross Climate or Goodyewar vector all season in a temperate climate will give less extreme variations from the ideal set at any time than swapping summer and winter tyre sets twice a year
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Angling Mad

Post by Angling Mad »

I agree with your evaluation. They have not given any acceptable evidence to exclude this type of tyre. I have a decision to make as I need to renew my front 2 after 4.5 years of SD ownership which remainder of the 5yr warranty to run and just 27K miles on the clock with the original Good Year Eagle LS2s. I have always stayed with original tyres on the cars I have owned but now I reluctantly have to decide which way to jump. As my rear tyres are still good I am inclined to ignore the ruling and stay with them. Particularly as my mileage is now so low circa 5K max p/a and in my service report last week my OPC offered to change the 4 tyres @£817 and relieve me of another £200 for a DPF regen.......
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I agree that on a summers day we are better with summer tyres and in snow we are better with snow tyres however the weather is so unpredictable in the UK that we would be changing tyres every other week.

I am very happy with the Michelin all season tyres. Great in rain, sun and snow. Not sure how they would perform around the nurburgring ......but there again I don't really race around there much :D :D :D
Alfanut

Post by Alfanut »

I’m not surprised that all season tyres are not shinning in the tests, they are a compromise. However I suspect that they most likely suit British SUV driving styles really quite well, not many SUV’s manage a track day or do serious snow work, but loads of wet weather driving in quite low temperatures. As someone wisely said in this forum a few weeks ago, if you have to drive in the snow fit a set of winters. However I should be careful what I say as I’ve just done a rapid west coast to east coast blast across Scotland on a set of winters this evening. Traction control light only illuminated a couple of times :D :D
2022 Macan GTS & 718 GT4.
Past: Macan S, Audi S4 B8 Avant / Alfa 147 Q2 Diesel / Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed