Do I need Air on 20 wheels for GTS?

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
VanB

Post by VanB »

I think the car is great with pretty much any combination of suspension and wheels (assuming PASM is present) and you can't really go too wrong, unless you get seasick with air Wink
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate

woody

Post by woody »

sounds a nice spec, I went through the same thought process but in the end went with 20" spyders and air suspension well worth the extra. transforms the ride very smooth as far as iam concerned. The car will also ride lower on the road, and slightly higher in the offroad position. I will definately be having on my replacement Macan.
Doug11

Post by Doug11 »

Yep, as my SA said, if you get just one option, get Air. PASM standard over here.
He said it makes the Macan special, and he was 100% correct.

Do you really need it ??? Of course not.

Does it make the car better, absolutely.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Put my order in for this spec Macan GTS, Now I have to wait until probably May for delivery!Killer! Trying to not get carried away with options so didn't spec air on basis salesman said it's a supple enough ride on 20's

I also think I want Air, and my have to decide before my drive at the PEC.
Which OPC have you ordered through? From now to May is longer than some on the forum, there are many comments about increased GTS production for the UK. Hope to have mine by end March, and not yet ordered, wishful thinking?

If I was you I would try to arrange back to back test drives of Macans with and without air.

I have had both and love the air, yes it is a little floaty but for me it give the best ride quality that suits me.

Only you can decide what works for you by testing both.

I would not think it matters if you cannot test out a GTS as its finding out the difference that matters and with its sport tuned suspension the GTS is likely to be a bit harder ride in all configs.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I have a GTS with standard PASM and no air on 21" wheels and perfectly acceptable. I accept I may be easily pleased as an ex boy racier, but the only comments I have ever had from passengers were positive, no one has thought it hard or uncomfortable. 20" wheels will be smother again so even less of an issue without air.
Air will smooth ride even more, but at the cost of more dethatched floaty drive, that many here have spoke of, the choice is yours. It depends on whither you are buying a Porsche for the badge, or the sports cars they are supposed to be.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

...It depends on whether you are buying a Porsche for the badge, or the sports cars they are supposed to be.

Ooh, controversial!!
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Doug11

Post by Doug11 »

No idea where Air being floaty comes from.
Press the suspension button to the firmest #3 settings, lower suspension to lowest settings, and the Porsche firms up more than standard springs.

I think buyer regret is causing jealousy.......
BigPhil

Post by BigPhil »

No idea where Air being floaty comes from.
Press the suspension button to the firmest #3 settings, lower suspension to lowest settings, and the Porsche firms up more than standard springs.

Gotta agree there, on those settings everything is very tight, just without the jarring. Had a loaner Boxster recently on 20"s without Air and it shook my teeth out on crap roads, the Macan on 21"s never missed a beat.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH96VJA6
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I can understand why you might think that but truly not in my case. I just want to try and balance the debate a little.
Conversely on the other side of the debate, many feel the need to justify their spending on extras that don't enhance the Porsche experience as much as they hoped when they ticked the box on the order form, and are going to take a large deprecation hit on come trade in time.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Completely agree Doug and Rab.

I simply cannot understand why anyone would buy a Porsche and not have it fitted with the extras that make its performance and handling the best it can be.

If they are not prepared to do this then its simply driving a badge, you are entering the footballers Wives territory, poseur special et al.

If you are not prepared to build a proper Porsche then why not save £20 grand and buy a Q3 or X1 or X3 or even heaven forbit an F Pace. If a shopping trolley or kids run special is all you need then these will fit the bill perfectly.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags