Do I need Air on 20 wheels for GTS?

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
Philp

Post by Philp »

Put my order in for this spec Macan GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PHJBBGM7

Now I have to wait until probably May for delivery!Killer! Trying to not get carried away with options so didn't spec air on basis salesman said it's a supple enough ride on 20" wheels. Wondering if anyone can confirm or otherwise his view?

Currently have a M135i so want to ensure the car will at least be softer than that so Mrs is happy.

Apologies if already covered in another thread but I had a good look and couldn't find it

PaulMacan

Post by PaulMacan »

Nice spec. I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures.
I have GTS with 20" wheels, 14-way seats, no air and no problems despite having a bad back. Previously I had S with 20" wheels, 18 way seats, no air and no problems but still had the bad back.

Macan S - loved and sold - PHJZAJA8
Current- Macan GTS - PHVF1HX0
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
VanB

Post by VanB »

The GTS I drove had 21" on steel and was plenty comfortable so 20" no air will be fine. Some people seem to find air makes them car sick too. I think Bramptonmel had a topic about it.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I am pretty sure that the GTS owners will say that the standard PASM is all you need.

My SD had PASM and in comfort mode was just that on its 20" wheels, comfortable and way better than any Beamer I have driven (X3 30D, X4 35D, 320, 330, 120 and X1).

Current Turbo has 20" and Air on 20" Spyders and the ride is very smooth but some say air wallows which it does a little on undulating surfaces, but for me the overall smoother ride is well worth the premium.

Test drive as many Macans as you can, noting the wheel size and suspension of each you drive. You will probably find that most are on 21" with PASM as these seem to be the favoured on demo cars in my area at least.

I assume that you have not been to the PEC, do have a word with them as you could take out a GTS onto the country lanes with your Wife in the car to check out suspension. They may have a GTS with air, remember PASM is standard

Bear in mind that the GTS does have slightly different suspension and will probably ride a little harder than an SD or S.

Spec looks very good, save for your omission of a spare wheel, do look up the many threads and comments on this extra
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

In short. No.
I've a GTS with 21" and no Air, in comfort mode it's as soft as my wife's 120i on 16"s. I'm sure air is lovely but I can't say I feel like I'm missing out by not having it.
I don't really get the need/requirement/concern for a soft ride from a GTS though. If it's all about ride comfort then there surely better options out there than Porsche. I know there is a happy medium somewhere but the threads on comfort always make me chuckle given this is a forum for the "sports car SUV".
porsche-code.com/PHM1NUL9
Philp

Post by Philp »

Cheers guys. Pretty clear so I will save myself the £1k and stick as is.

Just picked up on spare wheel thread so will add that to the spec. Great advice. I was trying to max out the boot space but this makes sense.

Haven't done PEC yet and by sounds of it I won't be able to do it before I have to confirm spec ahead of build but the advice is pretty unanimous so I'm sold.

Don't know how I'm going to get through the next 6 months. Will be the longest wait of my life. Decided to do factory pick up. Anyone else tried that?
steve w

Post by steve w »

Philip
On our first Macan I just had Steel/ PASM and I found the ride ok except on uneven surfaces where it was choppy,on our GTS I have AIR/PASM and the ride is much better on ALL surfaces,would highly recommend having AIR.
Another thing on our first Macan I had the 18 way sports seats IMO far to many adjustments most were kept in the neutral position, on our GTS we have the GTS standard sports seats with the GTS silver interior these look the same as the 18 way sports seats but with less adjustments I'd advise you to try them they are brilliant and if you had these plus the drivers memory pack it'll save you approximately £1000 and put this towards having AIR .
Try them at the PEC before you make a final decision.
SteveW
Paul

Post by Paul »

No air on mine...I think anything is softer than a M135i isn't it.....
My wife certainly rates the ride on tne Macan better than her 428 cab (on 18s not 19s and the non M suspension option)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Philp

Post by Philp »

Thanks guys will take all that on board