Mercedes-AMG GLC 43 vs Porsche Macan S

All the latest Macan News and Reviews
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

The screen looks daft being an after though. BUT its probably a better place to use it higher in the eye line! 

Yes agree. It's horrible stick in but it's much better line of site and not taking your eyes off the road.
GTS 😀

gtipirelli

Post by gtipirelli »

What is behind that big empty bit below the cd slot. It just looks odd. Looks like some sort of lid for something

Why have that big spare space and then stick the screen on the dash. Why not move the temp controls and cd slot down a bit and slot the screen in to the space below where it currently sits but integrated into the dash

Cayenne E Hybrid
718 Cayman S
Previous : Macan 2.0
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Storage & cupholders...
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

My kind Mercedes dealer dropped of a GLC 43 for Easter. I am liking the sound of the GLC 63S which has now been officially announced so this will be an interesting test case. Will be with us until next Tuesday so plenty of chance to try it out in normal life conditions. Just took a long route to the local Sainsburys superstore to stock up on ale...

Engine continues to impress having tried it in C43 and SLK 43 guise in Barcelona last November...sounds good and goes very well. I look the looks myself - more than I think I was expecting - particularly the alloys. Body roll is pretty well management so it didn't feel particularly large. The thing that seemed most obviously deficient vs the Macan is the steering. I should temper this by saying its been a good few months since I last owned a Macan and I have been driving the McLaren a reasonable amount recently which has epic steering so this may be unfair but the GLC had limited feel (expected and not uncommon) but I also found it hard to judge as it felt too artificial. I'll make some more comments after the weekend when I have had more time in it.

Current Porsches: 991.2 GT3 RS
Previous Porsches: Macan x4 (one of each), Panamera x2, 996x2, 997x2, Cayenne S, Boxster S, Cayman S x2, Boxster Spyder, 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 (manual), 718 Cayman GTS (PDK)
Others: way too many...
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Looking forward to your review...!

Looks like a green version of your new one might be on Top Gear soon...
Simon

Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

Indeed it will be!

Having colour issues on that front...will put that in a separate post!!
Previous Porsches: Macan x4 (one of each), Panamera x2, 996x2, 997x2, Cayenne S, Boxster S, Cayman S x2, Boxster Spyder, 991.1 Turbo S, 991.2 GT3 (manual), 718 Cayman GTS (PDK)
Sportback

Post by Sportback »

I like the look of the GLC 63 also

SB
Macan S Diesel ordered 06/12/2014 - Locked Down 15/12/2015 - Delivered March 2016
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH5EKVU2
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Indeed it will be!

Having colour issues on that front...will put that in a separate post!!

A change of mind from your matt grey...?
Simon

VanB

Post by VanB »

I have always found Mercs to be a bit vague in the steering department and a bit cheap internally over the last few years plus the fit and finish, to say nothing of the solidity, of the body panels to be surprisingly suspect.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Virage11

Post by Virage11 »

So following Easter in the GLC 43, here are some thoughts for any thinking about one as an alternative to a Macan.

- Ride quality - better than I expected, particularly running on the optional 21" alloys. Wonder if the 20" alloys are the sweet spot for comfort and grip (as I feel they are on a Macan). Changing the dynamic settings makes a noticeable difference so that's good, ie not a gimmick!

- Handling - body roll good and the car feels smaller than it is so combined feels easy to thread on country roads. Felt smaller oddly than a Macan but that might just be me!

- Steering - continued to feel too vague. Sport mode unnecessarily heavy and comfort mode ok in weight but neither any feel (not that I was expecting any) nor much finesse. I found hard to place the car exactly where I wanted, certainly compared to a Macan. The tyre slippage was definitely worse than I was expecting. I knew it was an issue from the reviews but always assumed that was this was from folks not accustomed to it (Porsche sports cars always have some for example at lowest speeds in the cold). 9 degrees and a slightly damp road and it was really "juddery" on pulling away on 2/3 lock - too warm for winter tyres being needed so this I have to agree with the public is an issue and is rather poorly engineered!

- Engine - as I found when I tried a C43, a really good engine. It felt like 8 gears would probably be sufficient (it has 9) - lots of changing down in auto mode with just a mild increase in throttle but other than that, plenty of power and a nice noise for a non-V8 practical car. Throttle response slightly over-the-top on Sport+!

- I liked the exterior look - just a touch more aggression than the standard GLCs.

- Interior rear space was slightly less than I thought but other than that all very nice.

- Overall, pretty impressed. Just the two major issues for me in the steering (which I am sure you would get used to) and the tyre slippage.

I think it represents good value vs a Macan too - I spec's one up at £52,000 before any discount - that's a lot of engine and spec for the money in today's choices. Nearly new ex demos as just over £45,000 - again a reasonably amount of car for the money. Still a petrol S will hold its value better and is more of a tool - but it is more to start. Looking forward to trying to GLC 63 S when it appears in the autumn - given that will be a proper AMG model, I have a hope that they will fix the steering and wheel setup in which case, could be a nice option for the money.